Flight from Vancouver to Phoenix

toothmaker

Assuming our ship arrives in port on time, 7:30 am, is a flight leaving YVR at

10:45am reasonable or should I schedule a 3:15pm flight. Rushing off the ship and maybe making the flight does not sound like fun after a great cruise tour experience. I'm sure many people have tried both scenarios, let's hear your experiences. Thank you.

Reasonable? No - you need time for US Customs & Immigration at YVR on top of the usual security & checkin requirements for all airports. Plus there's Canadian customs at the pier before you can get in a cab/Skytrain etc.

Possible? Yes. Probably even a very high % chance you could make it if you are among the first people off the ship, but there are too many possible problems (multiple ships, long taxi queues, traffic incidents, ship being late, increased security levels because of credible or not threats, border agent doesn't like your face or just having a bad day, strike action etc etc etc) that mean you could miss your flight.

3:15pm to Phoenix you're still getting home same day, probably a direct flight? Book it.

It is entirely possible to make the flight. The ships begin ties up at 0700 and the first people are leaving the ship by 0730. If you are prepared walk off with all your luggage there is no reason you can't be thru customs and getting in a cab by 0830 latest. Allow 30/35 minutes to get to YVR by cab and you will be there by 0900 which gives you 1 3/4 hrs before your flight. It is advisable to be at YVR 2 full hours before flight time however you should be ahead of the pack and with the new passport scanners you should make the flight. With that scenario everything must go click click....one hiccup and you have missed your flight. If you flight was between 1100 and 1130 you would have no issues at all. The question is, do you want to end a wonderful Alaskan vacation with a stressful rush to the airport?

I'm assuming this is USAirways, which I have taken. A WHOLE different story in my case however and I would not recommend it for ticket purchasers.

IF you continue with this flight- it will be imperative you self disembark- haul off all your own bags- be ready to go ahead of schedule and be the first group off the ship. Have no problem getting yourself- walking and finding to the Skytrain, taking it to the airport.

Thank you all for your responses and words of wisdom. I can always depend on good advice here on the CC board. Now it's up to me to decide to follow good advice or be a dunce and chance a hopeful outcome on the early flight. I'll take the reasonable flight at 3:15pm and not be stressed. Thanks again.

Wise approach.

On our last cruise that ended in Vancouver some people were so stressed about their flight time that they spent the final three days worrying about the cruise.

To me it's nice to enjoy the entire cruise and that includes to having a leisurely breakfast before departing the ship.

Keith

I am curious as to who you are flying with or where you are connecting on to PHX? I ask because I did a cursory check of flights from YVR to PHX and I wasn't able to find anything that left at either 1045 0r 1515 in the months of July or August.

I think is always wise to explain to people what the logistics are rather then say "don't do it". People often have important work or family schedules to meet so given the information they can make the right decision for themselves.

I shall give more info about flying out of YVR to PHX. I was looking at the Princess EZ air flights through Alaska Air. It will be on June 4, 2016. Princess Star docking in Vancouver, B.C. Hope that clarifies the flight question.