Considering Celebrity Millennium or Island Princess

SDcruiser66

We sailed Alaska inside passage southbound a number of years ago on Coral Princess, sister ship to Island Princess. Loved the ship, especially some of decks allow you to go outside at the stern of the ship for some nice low level views.

We did a 5 day land tour prior to getting on ship and liked ability to wash clothes in self service laundry. Took about 45 of actual time and I knew how my clothes were handled. Allowed us to pack much less. We are Elite, so we could get some benefit on Celebrity, but I hate sending out some of my clothes and they get put in a dryer.

M class ships are also great ships, so check on the specific ports of call/ glaciers as Celebrity does not go to some that Princess goes to.

Edited by shipshape sam

In Alaska where the focus is on nature I'd focus more on the itinerary (both land and sea) than on which ship. We've sailed both ships, including Alaska on the Island Princess. While we definitely prefer Millie as a ship, we felt that Princess really does a great job in Alaska, especially during the land segment. If we were to do Alaska again, we'd likely use Princess.

In planning our Alaskan adventure several years ago we did extensive research on Trip Advisor and the CC Alaska port of call forum to determine what itinerary and shore excursions were best for us. We spent six days on the land tour, and I wish it had been longer. Try to spend at least two nights in Denali. The highlights of our trip were the 8 hour Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali (the 4 hour tour doesn't take you deep enough into the park to see many animals) and a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier (expensive but well worth it).

I would recommend Princess for the better itineraries as previously mentioned. But I wouldn't recommend Island or Coral Princess, these two ships are under going drastic renovations in which a lot of public space is being taken away and many guest cabins added. I think this will end up causing these ships to be very crowded. Maybe book the Star Princess instead.

I would recommend Princess for the better itineraries as previously mentioned. But I wouldn't recommend Island or Coral Princess, these two ships are under going drastic renovations in which a lot of public space is being taken away and many guest cabins added. I think this will end up causing these ships to be very crowded. Maybe book the Star Princess instead.

For the moment the changes to Coral Princess have been indefinitely delayed because of the issues with Island. I had the same dilemma - Millie or Coral but when I heard about the delay, Coral it was.

For the moment the changes to Coral Princess have been indefinitely delayed because of the issues with Island. I had the same dilemma - Millie or Coral but when I heard about the delay, Coral it was.

This is good news. I really like Island Princess, but what they have done to that ship is awful. I hope they don't wreck Coral too.