Keeping Ids,Cell phones and Credit cards safe on board?

Any tips on keeping these things safe from being stolen? I can't imagine they are often stolen, but I just find myself feeling very paranoid about these things. We are only bringing on the must-haves to minimize any worry.

Thanks!

Any tips on keeping these things safe from being stolen? I can't imagine they are often stolen, but I just find myself feeling very paranoid about these things. We are only bringing on the must-haves to minimize any worry.

Thanks!

Every stateroom has a safe for your valuables.

Edited by clarea

Just to add to this, how big are the safes in the room? I am not expecting a large one, but in terms of can it hold a laptop, a tab, or pretty much just the wallets/phones, etc? Thanks!

Just to add to this, how big are the safes in the room? I am not expecting a large one, but in terms of can it hold a laptop, a tab, or pretty much just the wallets/phones, etc? Thanks!

Not big enough for a laptop. People say they can put in iPads if they insert them at an angle. We mostly use it for wallets, phones, cash, passports, jewelry.

On the ships we've sailed there was room for iPads, wallets, full size camera with lens. I do not think a laptop would fit however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the exact dimensions of the safe, but they are not large enough to hold a laptop. Phones, wallets, some cameras... yes. Tablets, probably (can't remember how big the opening is). That said, your laptop will be safe left out on a table in your room, cabin attendants will not bother it. We do it all the time. However, I do keep a hand (or at least an eye) on my belongings while about the ship. Ya never know, and I don't wish to lose anything.

If you have something that you would feel better about having locked up that does not fit in your safe, put it in your locked suitcase under your bed when you are not in your cabin. Yes, people can get into locked suitcases, but this doesn't seem to be a huge problem on cruise ships. (Hoping I haven't just jinxed myself! :) )

I would suggest to keep valuables in the safe, it will be big enough for an iPad but not notebook. It should also be big enough for a SLR camera but of cause this depend on how much stuff is already in the safe.

For anything that couldn't be kept in the safe, I suggest keeping it in one of the drawer. Don't leave them lying around on the desk unattended. It is not so much of the cabin attendant but others (your fellow passengers) who may enter your cabin without you knowing. The cabin attendant generally will wedge your cabin door open whilst doing the cleaning, your cabin may be left unattended and who knows if there is anything your fellow passengers may like in your cabin whilst walking past. That notebook lying on the desk may be too tempting.

I have a combination lock that I lock my suitcase with. I've never had a problem on a cruise ship or on a land vacation, even when I've visited hotels where others have reported things being stolen. And actually on my last cruise, we left the folder with all our passports and extra money on the counter and didn't even think twice about it. On a cruise ship I think it would be very rare to have anything stolen, because you have one person in charge of your room

for the whole week. They know who you are and vice versa, and their income and tips depend on you, so they wouldn't jeapordize losing their jobs, or even the week's tips because something went missing from your room. It's not like at a hotel where there's 2 or 3 different maids and two or three different shifts throughout the day (making it 4-9 possible people who might enter your room). On a cruise ship your have 1, and it's the same 1 all week, so it would be very hard for them to get away with stealing from your room as everyone would know it was them. That's not to say you should leave your stuff laying around (although I did), but I wouldn't be too worried about it. In fact of all the reviews and posts I've read about various ships, I've never once come across one that mentioned something being stolen from the room (again, doesn't mean it's never happened, I just take it to mean it's not common).

On a side note, how do you all keep your stuff safe at the beach while in port? This trip I'll be having several beach days (not on an excursion) and expect that most of the time, the whole group will be in the water. How do you keep your things safe then? Are you always having to keep an eye on your things or is there a special "beach safe" you can buy that locks to a tree or a pole

Or something? If not maybe I need to invent one :)

On a side note, how do you all keep your stuff safe at the beach while in port? This trip I'll be having several beach days (not on an excursion) and expect that most of the time, the whole group will be in the water. How do you keep your things safe then? Are you always having to keep an eye on your things or is there a special "beach safe" you can buy that locks to a tree or a pole

We use a water box my hubby wears around his neck. We only bring seapass cards, drivers license, and cash and maybe a credit card. I also have a water camera so if I know it will be a beach day only take that off.

The only thing we leave on shore are towels, shoes etc as I don't like to try to snorkel and try tobe watching the shore the whole time (not an easy thing to do)

I have a $5 water wallet from amazon for my cash, license, and ship card. I also have a waterproof camera. So all my valuables are in the water with me. Not that Id be ok with someone to steal my sandals... You can also mention to someone near you that you will be in the water. Most ppl will keep an eye on your stuff once you ask them.

I have a KYSS bag (keep your stuff safe) it has a chain you can lock around a chair or tree and locks the stuff into the bag. It won't keep it a determined thief from taking it but will stop the thief of opportunity.

Edited by scoutdon

JS8078safeclosed_zpsf8babf80.jpg

JS8078safeopen_zps1791191a.jpg

That red thing is my passport holder, for "perspective" purposes.

I have a $5 water wallet from amazon for my cash, license, and ship card. I also have a waterproof camera. So all my valuables are in the water with me. Not that Id be ok with someone to steal my sandals... You can also mention to someone near you that you will be in the water. Most ppl will keep an eye on your stuff once you ask them.

Red---Square-beach-safe-with-l-5012127.jpg

The water boxes may be small, but if everyone in your party uses one, you can split things up and be fine. Also remember to stick together with the tour group on the beach. Safety in numbers.

Edited by Lazz

I would never leave any valuables out when I leave my cabin. How many times do you walk past open cabins while the steward is supposedly cleaning them and see them empty? It wouldn't take much for someone to just dart in, grab that laptop off the table and poof! Gone.

When I used to bring my laptop I always locked it in my suitcase under my bed. My DSLR with lens fits in the little safe. We always kept our passports, money and jewelry locked in the safe and have never been robbed.

They usually want a 4 digit code to set the safe, so pick one that all parties using the safe can remember.

Enjoy your cruise!

If I'm concerned about passing traffic I pop the laptop in a drawer.... I used to lock it away, maybe I've become too complacent but I do trust my room steward implicitly. I lock away credit cards, passport, cash any jewellery as much so I know where they are as anything else.

More than a dozen cruises. I leave my laptop on the desk, my camera on the table and lock up my wallet and phone (mostly so I am not tempted to use it). Biggest issue is making sure you actually close your door tight when you leave. No staffer is going to lift these things. Not worth losing their job over a laptop they'd be lucky to get a few hundred dollars for.

There are rotten apples everywhere I suppose, but we only kept cash and passports in the safe. We left two android tablets and an iPad exposed and charging every time we left the cabin, and we never gave it a second thought.

A safe! That is pretty awesome! I did not expect that. Perfect! Thanks!

The only problem with the safe is that if someone wants to get in it all they have to do is reset the combination :eek: I never thought about it till my boyfriend pointed it out to me last time. haha

The only problem with the safe is that if someone wants to get in it all they have to do is reset the combination :eek: I never thought about it till my boyfriend pointed it out to me last time. haha

No, if you forget the code you set, you must call security. You have to present in the room and you are not allowed to watch the resetting of the safe. Usually only a couple of officers have access to do this.