Flying In on the Day of Cruise

Jsmommy13

Sailing on Fascination Aug 6. Flying DCA to JAX nonstop on the 6th. Arrival 10:45 am. Carrying on only, no dealing with baggage claim. Getting to pier using Carnival's transfer service. In my head this is plenty of time but all the comments I read on here and on a Facebook Carnival page have me thinking otherwise.

So: if you have had SUCCESS flying in the day of the cruise, please comment here. I know the stories are out there!!Thanks!! :-)

Flew from CVG to MIA successfully the morning of a cruise. Had to be done due to my work schedule. Had a slight bump in the road due to mechanical issues in CVG... They had to switch out our plane for another. But after that, all went smoothly and we were in Miami by 10am.

Years ago, I used to fly into the departure Port the same day. Never had a problem. But nowadays, I would fly in the day prior to embarking the ship. Even when driving down to Port Everglades, we overnight at a hotel the night before. Seems more relaxing that we are already near the Port and refreshed with a nights rest to board the ship, IMO.

Probably 80% or more of cruisers fly in the morning of their cruise.

I have done so from NY to MIA or FLL, carry on bag only, non stop, usually arriving closer to 10AM. Haven't had a single issue yet in over 20 cruises to these ports.

I think it became a mantra on CC to fly in the day before when peeps were bragging about being able to afford an extra night in a hotel. Got repeated so often it became a gospel on CC. The cruise lines don't do it whenj they book your air, why should you?

If someone says, well you can miss your cruise, I can say after 25 cruises that some of my cruises have already been "free" since I saved on 25 hotel nights, extra meals and extra transportation. Even if I eventually do miss a 7 night cruise, I'm so far ahead of the game, I wouldn't care.

Edited by evandbob

I used to fly in the day of the cruise, until a mechanical issue got us to MIA at 3:00PM, instead of 11:00AM. Talk about rushing!

We made it on board, and into our cabin just before muster drill.

NEVER AGAIN.

I realize some have time constraints, and can't come in a day early, but if you can, it is so much more relaxing not rushing to the ship. ;)

Besides, the airlines aren't offering as many alternate flights in case your plane is held up.

Have flown in day of cruise and would rather not. Have not had any problems with the red eye flights from west to east coast, but there is always a current of worry , What if ??? So i try to fly in the day before get a good nights sleep and day of cruise I am well rested and ready to start vacation.

I have flown in the day of sailing multiple times with success but I have certain criteria to do so: Direct flight only and first flight out in the morning. I have done this flying RDU to MCO or FLL/MIA. Flying out the morning of my Bermuda cruise direct RDU to BOS.

I'm an Airline Pilot. Knowing everything that can (and does) go wrong on a daily basis, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. I see enough people with spoiled travel plans to know that its a dumb idea.

Yes, majority of people do make it to their cruise with no problems. But that means NOTHING if YOUR flight happens to be the one with a problem.

People get a false sense of security because they are booking the first flight in the morning, or a nonstop, or because there are later "backup" flights, or because of the time of year. I cringe every time that I read someone encouraging others to fly on the day of the cruise using these "recommendations".

I'm an Airline Pilot. Knowing everything that can (and does) go wrong on a daily basis, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. I see enough people with spoiled travel plans to know that its a dumb idea.

Yes, majority of people do make it to their cruise with no problems. But that means NOTHING if YOUR flight happens to be the one with a problem.

People get a false sense of security because they are booking the first flight in the morning, or a nonstop, or because there are later "backup" flights, or because of the time of year. I cringe every time that I read someone encouraging others to fly on the day of the cruise using these "recommendations".

Millions of passengers fly in the day of the cruise from lots of different locations. Here are the current delayed and cancelled flights for the US today:

Total delays within, into, or out of the United States today: 423

Total cancellations within, into, or out of the United States today: 59

Most of the delays are less than 60 minutes. And these numbers represent all airlines from all areas of the globe. Considering that Chicagos O'Hare airport has about 2500 flights landing or taking off today...well, you get the gist.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing the ship...the likelihood of it happening is miniscule.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing the ship...the likelihood of it happening is miniscule.

Once again, statistics mean NOTHING if your flight happens to be the one canceled, delayed or rerouted.

And I used to be based at O'Hare for many years. That place is a nightmare, even if the "statistics" don't make it sound as bad. There are a handful of airports that always elicit a "Ugh" from most pilots. O'Hare is one of them.

We always fly in the day of our cruise. We live near a major airport and do only non stop flights. AND we check luggage. There have only been two occasions where we did a hotel the night before, once when I made a goof in booking airfare to San Juan and once when we left from Long Beach. The time we did the goof in San Juan one of our traveling companions flew in the day of the cruise, she had no problem.

People have to do what is comfortable for them. Just like I always get travel insurance. I almost had to use it when we went to Long Beach because I fractured my arm the morning of the cruise but thank goodness we made the cruise even after my trip to the emergency room.

I'm going to keep flying in the day of until it stops working for me. I start my day knowing I'm going on a cruise, what's better than that?;)