Celebrity Closed TODAY?

canderson

Everything in Miami-Dade County is closed today - also in Ft. Lauderdale, too, I believe. I work for the City of Miami Beach and we closed a little early yesterday and by late afternoon it was determined that all City offices would be closed today.

Right now the winds are 35 mph and the rain is really coming down. We live at the north end of Miami Beach, 20 ft. from the intracoastal - the intracoastal waters look like what you'd expect for white water rafting!!

The south's version of a "snow day" :D

Dade Metropolitan County, FL http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecasts/FLZ074.php?zo=1

Flood Statement

Flood Watch

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hurricane Local Statement

Hurricane Warning

Inland Hurricane Warning

Special Weather Statement

Tornado Watch

INLAND HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT

TORNADO WATCH 803 IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL THIS AFTERNOON

Must try and get the Scottish Executive to apply theses rules here if we have a bit of bad weather.

We often have winds in excess of 35mph and rain comming down like stair rods.

It's funny how different parts of the world react to weather conditions

At least in Florida they do get the odd sunny day :)

I called the Captain's Club the other day and got someone in Wichita, KS...wonder why they aren't rerouting the calls there (or wherever else they have Call Centers). I know calling about a cruise is not earth-shattering but it is unusual that a company would shut down when they do have alternatives.

I called the Captain's Club the other day and got someone in Wichita, KS...wonder why they aren't rerouting the calls there (or wherever else they have Call Centers). I know calling about a cruise is not earth-shattering but it is unusual that a company would shut down when they do have alternatives.

Boy... I rarely get annoyed on here, but really....I dont know what you want from them. Do you understand what a Hurricane is, and that it is life threatening to be outside during one of them ?

Yes, Captains Club is in KS, but they probably cannot handle many other requests.

Is it really worth it that an employee gets injured or killed cause a customer cannot wait a day to book a shore excursion ? I cant see how 1 day can be such an issue.

I commend Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for closing today. It shows me they care about their employees safety, and that should always come first.

For those who live in South Florida, I hope we all get through this latest storm. I have had enough of Hurricanes the past 2 years to last a lifetime.

Priorites folks... Priorities.

Boy... I rarely get annoyed on here, but really....I dont know what you want from them. Do you understand what a Hurricane is, and that it is life threatening to be outside during one of them ?

Yes, Captains Club is in KS, but they probably cannot handle many other requests.

Is it really worth it that an employee gets injured or killed cause a customer cannot wait a day to book a shore excursion ? I cant see how 1 day can be such an issue.

I commend Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for closing today. It shows me they care about their employees safety, and that should always come first.

For those who live in South Florida, I hope we all get through this latest storm. I have had enough of Hurricanes the past 2 years to last a lifetime.

Well said Andy, well said

Phil

Miami scheduled to get 40mph winds and 2" of rain, and they close up shop? Just tried to call to order a B.V. package for a friend, and nobody home -- something about closing due to weather.

Anyone here from Miami? Is it really that tough?

Im from Miami and am sorry you feel you were inconvenienced not being able to place your order.

Hurricane Warnings were posted yesterday. They are posted for a reason.

To help you understand, they are posted to warn of possible severe damage and destruction. Fortunately we had a high-pressure area to the north that held the storm to the south of us. Had the high pressure area not held the storm to the south you may not have had an office to call tomorrow to place your order that you were unable to place today.

I'm not sure if you have had any part or your entire home destroyed. I can speak with direct knowledge of loosing a good portion of my roof, destroyed trees, no water, phone and electricity for days. This is what I consider to be an inconvenience.

Dale[/u]]Fortunately we had a high-pressure area to the north that held the storm to the south of us. Had the high pressure area not held the storm to the south you may not have had an office to call tomorrow to place your order that you were unable to place today.

Enough -- all I reacted to was the weather that I watched on the news this morning, and compared that to the empty office. If there was a hurricane warning out for Miami this a.m., it didn't seem to be being covered by any of the networks I watched. They talked about some 40mph winds and as much as 2" of rain, possible gusts higher. Perhaps they were all wrong. I can only go with the available information.

I'm not sure if you have had any part or your entire home destroyed.
Yes, burned to the ground. I'm not the insensitive oaf you that you and our normally gracious host Andy seem to think. I do, however, watch the weather reports in the a.m. That is precisely why I was asking for a report from someone from Miami, as there seemed to be a disconnect somewhere.

NCL also shut down at 3:00 pm yesterday. Amazing how those people don't want to work with a hurricane approaching. :confused:

I agree completely. They are evacuating the Florida keys so I'm sure it's not just a 'little wind and rain' Speaking as someone who has a family member that lost their home in a hurricane (Isabel, not Katrina) you should NEVER under estimate mother nature. JMHO

Although I have nothing invested in this, it does seem that customer service businesses located in an area like Miami could have back up call centers. Don't hurricanes regularly threaten south Florida?

Yes, I recognize how important it is to take care of one's employees and property and wouldn't want anyone hurt while trying to sell a cruise, but we are talking about a simple order that could actually be done on line.

Just a thought....

Susan

NCL also shut down at 3:00 pm yesterday. Amazing how those people don't want to work with a hurricane approaching.

It's not a question of not wanting to work - right now, where I live, the wind is at least 40 mph, the rain is torrential, there are power outages/power lines down and major flooding - it's dangerous when you can't see the road to try to even get to work. I think businesses are being responsible when they allow their employees to leave early to secure their homes and property. Don't you get it?????

I'm really sorry my post got the reaction it did (about Wichita)...I did NOT mean to imply that Miami should not close with a hurricane approaching...my only comment was that since they do have other call centers I'm surprised that they shut down ALL the phone lines. That's all. I'm sorry my comments were misinterpreted.

It's not a question of not wanting to work - right now, where I live, the wind is at least 40 mph, the rain is torrential, there are power outages/power lines down and major flooding - it's dangerous when you can't see the road to try to even get to work. I think businesses are being responsible when they allow their employees to leave early to secure their homes and property. Don't you get it?????

I read slotaddict's post as tongue in cheek. Was I wrong?

Phil

All the cruiselines in the Miami area are closed today. The calls are being answered by the other call centers in different parts of the country. Some services are not available at this centers. They are mostly for reservations and questions. If you need something like special services, accounting or other departments they will not be available. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity calls are going to Wichita, Carnival Colorado Springs and Norwegian home based people in Phoniex and south florida. Not all have call centers outside of Miami. Costa is closed. You will have to wait if you do call so if it is not inportant wait until tommorrow.

I read slotaddict's post as tongue in cheek. Was I wrong?Phil

Phil,

I read the post as you did. Are we the only ones to see it that way? Some seem to think he should keep his tongue in check.

Andy,

Yes, this is a very dangerous situation. Power outages and downed lines, flooding, wind and flying objects. I experienced a few typhoons (same as hurricanes, only in Pacific Ocean) while stationed on Okinawa, Japan. Even worked through some as Security/Law Enforcement due to necessity. Normal work should be curtailed during these times for safety.

canderson,

I know you were just asking an innocent question with no bad intentions. I guess you will have to clarify the original question next time.

Well wishes to all in the Miami area.

I'm really sorry my post got the reaction it did (about Wichita)...I did NOT mean to imply that Miami should not close with a hurricane approaching...my only comment was that since they do have other call centers I'm surprised that they shut down ALL the phone lines. That's all. I'm sorry my comments were misinterpreted.
I don't think that all lines are left unanswered -- just the ones for numbers where services can only be handled out of Miami for some reason (e.g., BV gifts are evidently not ever handled by one of the other call centers). I was trying to call their 800-242-6374 number.

I understood your question and had no problem with it :) ! My parents live in the Boston area and never seem to know about our impending hurricanes till I call them on the cell phone to say we lost power! I just didn't think slotaddict was being "tongue in cheek" which is why I responded the way I did. If he/she was kidding the big grin smiley would have made that clear.

Anyway, it has calmed down a lot in my area and I will be at work tomorrow. Hope those in the Gulf Coast, where Rita is tracked to go, will be spared!

Archived