Just off the Crown...any questions!

mcgratru

[quote name='Princess&thePirate']In our world, it's still gangplank. Did u not see our name is the Princess & the Pirate...lol. Ps do u know if the "gangway" on deck 7 is forward, midway or aft? We're trying to plan how to get off the ship at the ports from our cabin p209 (deck 5 forward) thanks again![ATTACH]365472[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

A really good majority of ports will use deck 4 & 5. It just depends on where the ship is going.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']There's no real way to tell in advance. However, with the location of your cabin, it should be a short and easy walk...[/QUOTE]

Just depends where you are cruising. In the Caribbean you never will you it at 7 unless you are in Ft Lauderdale. Alaska is going to be the same way.

[quote name='LadyLeo84'][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][/COLOR][/SIZE]Love this thread with all of the great info!!

We are going to be sailing on the CROWN in November. A friend who has also recently sailed on the CROWN said that the toilets in the public areas are "different" because the ship had been sailing in Asia. He wouldn't tell me how they were different as he wanted for me to find out for myself when I got on board. Can anyone help with that? The curiosity is killing me.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their response.[/QUOTE]

I liked the unisex private rooms (1 toilet/sink) for the disabled. Don't like the automatic water.

[url=http://www.cruise-ships.com/profile/ccruisequeen717/][img]http://ticker.cruise-ships.com/profile/27926-profile.png[/img][/url]

[URL="http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccruisequeen717/media/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz18/ccruisequeen717/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

[quote name='shredie']There is always a burger offered. And fries. I have never seen a lunch menu without it (on several different ships.)[/QUOTE]

There are also beef medallions in a slightly salty gravy sauce. I ordered them on the Crown, with the Orange souffle.

[url=http://www.cruise-ships.com/profile/ccruisequeen717/][img]http://ticker.cruise-ships.com/profile/27926-profile.png[/img][/url]

[URL="http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccruisequeen717/media/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz18/ccruisequeen717/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

[quote name='ccruisequeen']There are also beef medallions in a slightly salty gravy sauce. I ordered them on the Crown, with the Orange souffle.

[URL="http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccruisequeen717/media/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz18/ccruisequeen717/Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)[/QUOTE]
Love that orange souffle!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='SeaUs']Anyone from summer Alaska know the earliest you can debark without carrying your own bags?[/quote]

Since it appears thatyou're cruising on the Crown this coming June, I'm going to assume that you're talking about getting off in Seattle. I'm also going to assume that what you're really concerned about is how early your bags will be able to get off as otherwise you're going to be standing around down in the luggage hall waiting for the arrival of your bags and there is very little extra space in the baggage hall at the pier.

The first people off the ships at Seattle normally start coming off the ship around 7:30 normally but those are usually carrying their own bags. If that's not possible, then what I would suggest is that if the projected disembarkation time that you get listed with at the end of your cruise is not early enough for you, that you go to Passenger Services on Deck 6 and tlell them that your assigned time is too late and ask for the time you desire and see if they can provide you with tags for your bags for that time.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to take your own bags and go for an early disembarkation time taking your bags with you.

Tom

[quote name='Pierlesscruisers']Since it appears thatyou're cruising on the Crown this coming June, I'm going to assume that you're talking about getting off in Seattle. I'm also going to assume that what you're really concerned about is how early your bags will be able to get off as otherwise you're going to be standing around down in the luggage hall waiting for the arrival of your bags and there is very little extra space in the baggage hall at the pier.

The first people off the ships at Seattle normally start coming off the ship around 7:30 normally but those are usually carrying their own bags. If that's not possible, then what I would suggest is that if the projected disembarkation time that you get listed with at the end of your cruise is not early enough for you, that you go to Passenger Services on Deck 6 and tlell them that your assigned time is too late and ask for the time you desire and see if they can provide you with tags for your bags for that time.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to take your own bags and go for an early disembarkation time taking your bags with you.

Tom[/QUOTE]

I will add to this. Again, going with the round trip itinerary. Customs/immigrations should not take that long since most of this cruise will be a closed loop with mostly American cities.

Times are capacity controlled. There are times assigned for "foreigners" and time for American citizens. You will need to wait until all the walk off passengers are disembarked before they begin letting passengers off who have to pick up their luggage in a holding tank. Best to get your time changed ASAP before they run out of "spaces".

Just off the Crown on a Coastal. We didn't start disembarkation until 9 AM (with luggage). Then they were running 30-45 minutes late.

Princess has absolutely no say on when they can let passengers leave. This is all up to port authorities.

Are you asking because of flight plans? I wouldn't book a flight out earlier than noon-1 PM. Where will Princess be docking?

I will add to this. Again, going with the round trip itinerary. Customs/immigrations should not take that long since most of this cruise will be a closed loop with mostly American cities.

Times are capacity controlled. There are times assigned for "foreigners" and time for American citizens. You will need to wait until all the walk off passengers are disembarked before they begin letting passengers off who have to pick up their luggage in a holding tank. Best to get your time changed ASAP before they run out of "spaces".

Just off the Crown on a Coastal. We didn't start disembarkation until 9 AM (with luggage). Then they were running 30-45 minutes late.

Princess has absolutely no say on when they can let passengers leave. This is all up to port authorities.

Are you asking because of flight plans? I wouldn't book a flight out earlier than noon-1 PM. Where will Princess be docking?

Yes, Crown out of Seattle. Worried even noon is too early. Looking at 12:15 flight

I see you were on the ship this year. Which is it? Not looking for a guess. I could do that

A guess is about the best you'll get. Even if someone on a previous cruise got off at 8:16, that doesn't mean you will on your cruise. The Travel Summary you get from Princess will tell you how early to book a flight. I think it would be the best idea to take their advice.

Early on in the process customs does not take that long, very true. But there are 2 ships disembarking at the same time which does add more people and at times backup does occur. I don't know where you were disembarking but given unforseen circumstances, disembarkation at Seattle normally begins anywhere from 7:15-7:30am, and occasionally, but not commonly, even as early as a few minutes after 7am but that is the rarity. That has been the case for the last 5 years and I have never seen disembarkation start any later than 7:45 at the absolute latest.

While other ports may have "foreigners" disembarking from the ships at specific times, I've never noticed that being the case any time recently at Pier 91 which is where Princess docks. Scheduling of passengers coming off the ships has always seemed to pretty much concerned with ongoing transportation needs (e.g. Amtrak or SeaTac departure times.) But I would agree that if the original poster has good reasons to get off the ship early on, they should make their needs known as soon as they can.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I'm assuming wheel chairs are able to get off at same time as self debarkation or earlier?

Definitely not earlier and I am not sure they get off with the walkoffs. I am pretty sure they dont. They maybe in the first wave after walkoffs are done. It serves no purpose for them to get off with walkoffs or before them because their luggage will not be downstairs to claim and there isn't anywhere to wait downstairs for your luggage

I'm assuming wheel chairs are able to get off at same time as self debarkation or earlier?

At least in Seattle, I seldom see any wheelchairs coming off during the early self-debarkation process. Those that I do see are people in their own chairs normally pushed by family members. I suspect that this is mostly due to the fact that ship personnel who perform wheelchair duties are, in most cases, wait staff who are normally performing their duties in the various dining area and are not released from those duties until the crowds in the dining area have reduced a fair amount. The majority of wheelchairs that I've seen have been after the 8:30am-9:00am time frames to the best of my recall. Overall, there seem to be a lot fewer wheelchairs used during debarkation than during embarkation, but that's not really a surprise.

Tom

Tom

If you are able to exit the ship unassisted by Princess personnel, AND you or someone who accompanies you are able to carry your luggage off, then you are able to sign up for self debarkation. If both of those facts are NOT true, you may not.

If you need Princess assistance on the gangway, even if you provide your own mobility device, you must wait until all the self disembarkation is finished. There is an advantage to this, however, as many of the Princess "pushers" push you parallel to the line, but off to the side, so that you join the line near the front, passing many people along the way.

M.

We are booked for June of 2016. Grandson drinks lots of water. Can you bring it aboard or do you have to buy a package? Also, is Sushi served in any of the restaurants? Have never sailed with Princess before. Lily

You can bring it onboard if you want bottled water, but the water on board is clean and tastes good. At least to me.

Don't know about sushi.

Tom

Also, they have water in your mini fridge, $3 for the larger bottle, but you can bring on a case of water if you want. Put a luggage tag on it and they will deliver to your cabin.

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!

• 2 weeks later...
Been many years since on Princess and last time we did self assist walk off. How does Princess decide who gets early luggage tags?

Is it the same on every ship?

By floors?

We did self assist on the Crown last month. It was a terrible experience. We were on deck 11 and exited our room at the time allotted to us. It seems like not everyone did the same and everyone was trying to exit early. Every elevator was completely full by the time it got to our floor. After waiting for about 10-15 min, and 10 or so packed elevators, we had to walk down 6 flights of stairs with our luggage. It was awful. I'm sure that is not an option for a lot of people.