Bathroom amenities vs freebies

Cruisegoer

Does Carnival still provide shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the stateroom showers? bar soap for the sink? I hear people talk of freebies but also amenities. Not sure who would want to use those cheapo disposable razors but not having to bring bathroom supplies is a welcome relief.

Does Carnival still provide shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the stateroom showers? bar soap for the sink? I hear people talk of freebies but also amenities. Not sure who would want to use those cheapo disposable razors but not having to bring bathroom supplies is a welcome relief.

Shampoo and body wash is provided in the shower. Bar soap is provided at the sink. Nothing else.

There used to be some random things provided in a basket, but the vendors cut out those samples recently. No more of the little toothpastes, breathe right strips, etc.

It has been reported that most people are not getting the freebies. Remember that this is not Carnival providing them, but the actual companies that make the products. While we did have some our last cruise, that was back in 2013.

John Heald said a few weeks back on his Facebook page that the suppliers who were giving them those samples weren't really giving them to Carnival anymore. He was talking about it because someone complained to him about cutbacks. But he basically said, they can't pass out what they don't have. He went on to ask several questions about them. Like what do you get, do you buy the product if you like it etc. But this I actually think isn't Carnival's fault.

Not sure who would want to use those cheapo disposable razors

I got a venus razor once. Those things are like $10!

But this I actually think isn't Carnival's fault.

Well, kinda. Carnival could cultivate relationships with suppliers to get DISCOUNTED supplies. Carnival could BUY wholesale things like toothpaste, razors, floss, toothbrushes, q-tips, etc and offer them to cruisers who called guest services to ask for them: like nearly every hotel in the United States.

So while them not being offered for free of charge to Carnival anymore isn't really Carnival's fault; having no amenities beyond shampoo, body wash and soap offered in the bathroom anymore is 100% Carnival's fault. They've chosen not to offer them.

Carnival could BUY wholesale things like toothpaste, razors, floss, toothbrushes, q-tips, etc and offer them to cruisers who called guest services to ask for them: like nearly every hotel in the United States.

I stay 50 nights a year in Marriott and Hilton hotels around the US and have not seen a "free" razor or toothbrush in decades.

If Carnival were to buy those items they would pass the cost on to the cruiser.

Edited by BallFour4

Just to be safe take a small bar of soap. On our last cruise the "soap delivery truck" did not make its delivery and they ran out of soap bars on the last day of the cruise prior to us. We didn't get soap (nobody got soap) delivered to the room until late the first evening or the second day of the cruise. We used the body was until we got it.

I stay 50 nights a year in Marriott and Hilton hotels around the US and have not seen a "free" razor or toothbrush in decades.

If Carnival were to buy those items they would pass the cost on to the cruiser.

Agreed, I have never gotten this stuff in a hotel. At best it's offered in a gift shop for a huge up-charge. But not for free waiting in the room. All of this stuff I pack on my own. I never rely on it to be there, I've also stayed in pretty nice hotels and unless you're staying at 5 star hotels I wouldn't really expect these items to be at your disposal.

Well, kinda. Carnival could cultivate relationships with suppliers to get DISCOUNTED supplies. Carnival could BUY wholesale things like toothpaste, razors, floss, toothbrushes, q-tips, etc and offer them to cruisers who called guest services to ask for them: like nearly every hotel in the United States.

So while them not being offered for free of charge to Carnival anymore isn't really Carnival's fault; having no amenities beyond shampoo, body wash and soap offered in the bathroom anymore is 100% Carnival's fault. They've chosen not to offer them.

Unlike hotels, ships have limited storage options. Carrying extra weightmeans extra fuel. Every bit counts.

Here's any idea works if you are checking your luggage only: When your shampoo and conditioner or lotion at home get to the point of how much you will use for the week, ten days or cruise period, take the bottle out of your shower at home and put away for your cruise. You are not taking an entire bottle with you just enough. Yes, the bottle is still the full size, but not full weight.

Then, when it is empty, toss it out. Bonus, you have good shampoo/conditioner that your hair likes, not random odd smelling stuff. Just make sure to put into a zippy bag before packing in your suitcase. Problem solved.

You have got to be kidding with this post.

They don't provide them to everyone, but both of those hotels (and their lower priced brands) will provide them if you call and ask. I got a razor from a Marriot last week. They had a whole list of things you could call and get.

But not for free waiting in the room.

Where did I see waiting in the room? I said if you call guest services. They don't just give it to everybody, the cost would be too high.

Unlike hotels, ships have limited storage options. Carrying extra weightmeans extra fuel. Every bit counts.

Seems like they had the weight to carry all those samples.

I don't care that Carnival doesn't provide them; I pack my own stuff (and in hotels only call when I forget and really need it)- but for Carnival to say it isn't their choice, that just isn't true. It is 100% their choice.

Edited by skittl1321

They've never had conditioner, except for the random sample that you used to get in your amenity basket. I take my own travel size shampoo, as my hair is colored & I prefer a color care shampoo. Hubby uses the shampoo provided. We both use the body wash & bar soap provided.

I miss the amenity basket. Once there was a toothpaste sample that I really liked. Looked for it in our local walmart, but they didn't have it. If they did, I would have bought it, though. So, I think the manufacturers are missing out on some sales by not getting their products out to travelers. I guess the prospective sales are not enough to offset the cost of the samples.

No thanks! I would not want to see my cruising price go up so someone could have their free nasal strip or bandaid. Yes, the razors are nice - but pretty sure they were always disposable ones which are not $10 but like $5 for 5 of them.

I can bring on my own toiletries instead of paying more to supply others.

They don't provide them to everyone, but both of those hotels (and their lower priced brands) .

I've gotten razor, toothpaste, tooth brush at various hotels. They are not in the room, just ask the front desk. Clarion, Quality Inn, Marriott and the budget brands of Marriott even when those items are offered for sale in the hotel "store" just like they are offered for sale in the ship's store they have been complimentary when asked for with and without a sign.

Runs in handy when travel with kids that you did not pack their bags for and the responsible adult that did isn't so responsible.

Cruise ship all you have is the option to purchase them once you get out to sea.

FWIW

Agreed, I have never gotten this stuff in a hotel. At best it's offered in a gift shop for a huge up-charge. But not for free waiting in the room. All of this stuff I pack on my own. I never rely on it to be there, I've also stayed in pretty nice hotels and unless you're staying at 5 star hotels I wouldn't really expect these items to be at your disposal.

If you go to the front counter at any marriott (or any hotel usually) and ask for a razor, toothbrush/toothpaste or even deodorant, they'll give it to you for free - they are by no means quality items but they serve their purpose. I learned this last February when I checked my bag in San Diego and it took me three days to get home to manchester NH by air (two unexpected hotel stays!)