Group of 20 - best dining options?

Hi -

I am the designated planner for a Harmony Med. cruise in July 2016 with an extended family group of 20, including children, parents and grandparents. With that many people I am wondering what we should do about dining. Do you know:

1. What is the largest table available in the MDR for traditional dining? (on other ships it has been 12). We could split 10/10 or 8/12

2. Do you think we should even consider My Time Dining? I don't think it is realistic that all 20 of us will be eating together every night anyway and I prefer the My Time dining for flexibility but I am just not sure how we would handle it with such a group.

Thanks for any tips!

Hi -

I am the designated planner for a Harmony Med. cruise in July 2016 with an extended family group of 20, including children, parents and grandparents. With that many people I am wondering what we should do about dining. Do you know:

1. What is the largest table available in the MDR for traditional dining? (on other ships it has been 12). We could split 10/10 or 8/12

2. Do you think we should even consider My Time Dining? I don't think it is realistic that all 20 of us will be eating together every night anyway and I prefer the My Time dining for flexibility but I am just not sure how we would handle it with such a group.

Thanks for any tips!

If you go MY Time speak with the Maitre De and organise the nights where you will have the large group and you will get your two large tables. On the other nights, you can find out by lunchtime or so how many you suspect will dine with you that evening and then book a table or two if more than six of you. We did this on X with a party of 18; it worked well, some nights for all of us, some nights for 8 of us, other nights 12 of us and one night just the two of us.:D

... What is the largest table available in the MDR for traditional dining? (on other ships it has been 12). ...

I've seen some custom sized tables, but 12 is the largest regular table I've seen in the MDR. If it was me, I'd prefer 6, 6, and 8 for the tables. Easier to converse at the smaller tables.

Hi -

Thanks for any tips!

About a month before your cruise, I would email rcldining@rccl.com and inquire as to what table arrangements they can accommodate you with to keep your family together. You are better off checking prior to arriving then trying to sort this out once on board.

Make sure to link your reservations. If you want certain people at certain tables, you can add all the booking numbers when you send your email.

Edited by cruisenfever

I've seen some custom sized tables, but 12 is the largest regular table I've seen in the MDR. If it was me, I'd prefer 6, 6, and 8 for the tables. Easier to converse at the smaller tables.
I definitely agree, and then you can change around every night too, keep it fresh and fun. :)

The only problem is that by changing seats, it makes it more difficult for the waiters to remember who gets what to drink.

Some form of "traditional" or "set" seating is best for a big group. You'll have a table/s ready, and the entire group will know nightly what time they should get there. With some form of MTD, just like in any restaurant, getting tables for that many is difficult.

Guess it would keep them on their toes!!:D

You betcha! LOL :D

Some form of "traditional" or "set" seating is best for a big group. You'll have a table/s ready, and the entire group will know nightly what time they should get there. With some form of MTD, just like in any restaurant, getting tables for that many is difficult.

Unless they have a reservation in which case, it will be taken care of.

We did a group of about 20 on Allure a few years ago. We had two big round tables in the early seating. Put the kids (mostly teens) at one table and the adults at the other. The head waiter was especially attentive to the teens and made sure we all had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for any tips!

With a group this large, I would probably not consider MTD, particularly on an Oasis class ship. My experience is that it was very poorly organized, even with reservations, and the wait times were long--although I suspect some of this was attributed to our dining reservation times of 6-6:30, which seemed to be peak...

I sat near a large group every night and it was about 20 on two tables and it seemed fine. The advantage for traditional dining (as the planner) is that you don't need to plan. Set time, the staff knows to set the tables for your group, and no need to wait.

Make sure the reservations are linked, and send an email to rcl dining and make your request. They will work with you.

I sat near a large group every night and it was about 20 on two tables and it seemed fine. The advantage for traditional dining (as the planner) is that you don't need to plan. Set time, the staff knows to set the tables for your group, and no need to wait.

Make sure the reservations are linked, and send an email to rcl dining and make your request. They will work with you.

That does make easier, but removes all flexibility for everyone. My time and having a few set nights for everyone is more accommodating.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We typically cruise with a large family group and next summer will have 21 family members ranging in age from toddlers to senior citizens on the Allure. We always do Traditional Dining and it works out wonderfully - in fact we were in a slight panic when we thought it might be eliminated on the Allure. It is so convenient for everyone - set time - set location - nothing to plan in advance. We will have 3 tables for our group in June. It will allow us to mix up the seating each night so that all family members can mix and mingle. We have done this in the past and none of our wait staff have skipped a beat. If some of your party want to go "rogue" one night and book a specialty restaurant on their own that is totally acceptable as well.