European Residents

I have relatives that live in the UK and Germany. We would like to plan a cruise together in the fall of 2016. Can someone point me in the direction that's best for them to make reservations. I am considering the Allure Western Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by aftop
omitted word

I live in Israel and always book with a US TA agent. This year, my cousin in Germany decided to join us to see Allure, asked around in Germany and compared prices, and in the end, with the same TA it was wayyyyy cheaper, and we also took advantage of a drop in price.

Before booking my cousin, I've asked my TA if someone residing in Europe (as opposed to the Middle East :D) can book with a US TA agent, and the answer was "we have many many European clients".

I live in Israel and always book with a US TA agent. This year, my cousin in Germany decided to join us to see Allure, asked around in Germany and compared prices, and in the end, with the same TA it was wayyyyy cheaper, and we also took advantage of a drop in price.

Before booking my cousin, I've asked my TA if someone residing in Europe (as opposed to the Middle East :D) can book with a US TA agent, and the answer was "we have many many European clients".

It is a tricky answer to give correctly.

There are some rules around this but since I do not work for a Travel Agency myself I only bothered getting a gist of understanding.

Normally by law a travel agent can not make a booking for clients that are not residing in their country of operations.

From my understanding there are two exceptions to this rule.

1. They book together with others that are residing in the TA's country of operation.

2. They go in to the travel agent in person to make the arrangements.

So by phone and email without another party to connect their booking with it would not be allowed.

One more thing to consider. If a German client books through an American Travel partner then they can not count on German laws to be enforced in regards to cancellation or pricing model.

My advice in cases like this.

Get the guest to make an offer directly with RCCL for their local market and then read the terms and conditions on their "Booking offer Details".

Also get a Booking offer from the American TP and read the terms and conditions.

I do not know the exact differences between German and US policy but Sweden, Norway and Denmark all have much nicer cancellation policy and change fee rules. We also have difference policy when it comes to cancelling due to sickness or accidents in the family.

The drawback is that often the campaigns available in the US is just slightly better then the Nordic ones.

It is a tricky answer to give correctly.

There are some rules around this but since I do not work for a Travel Agency myself I only bothered getting a gist of understanding.

Normally by law a travel agent can not make a booking for clients that are not residing in their country of operations.

From my understanding there are two exceptions to this rule.

1. They book together with others that are residing in the TA's country of operation.

2. They go in to the travel agent in person to make the arrangements.

There have been many people from various countries in Europe, Australia and Canada who have posted that they regularly use a US TA to do all their bookings.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I do not know the exact differences between German and US policy but Sweden, Norway and Denmark all have much nicer cancellation policy and change fee rules.

For those wondering, these are some of the differences:

US policy (small excerpt) http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

6 Nights or longer

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the reservations.

Norwegian policy:

3 dager eller mindre før avreise: 100 % av reisens grunnpris*

Mellom 4 og 14 dager før avreise: 50 % av reisens grunnpris**

Mellom 15 og 41 dager før avreise: Depositum per person (NOK/DKK 1000)*

42 dager eller mer før avreise: NOK/DKK 300 per person*

- See more at: http://www.royalcaribbean.no/#!/informasjon/viktig-informasjon/saerskilte-vilkar

Endringer som innebærer endret avreisedag, skip, lugarkategori, eller reiselengde kan gjøres frem til 42 dager før avreise mot et administrasjonsgebyr på NOK/DKK 250 per person, foruten avgift som betales til flyselskapet. Om lignende endringer gjøres fra 42 dager før, og frem til avreise betraktes endringen som en avbestilling og behandles deretter som en ny bestilling (se punkt 9 for avbestillingsregler).

Navnendring for cruisegjester koster NOK/DKK 250 per person og kan gjøres frem til 4 dager før avreise.

I'm not sure about the US policy on changing staterooms, but from what I remember you can in some cases change your stateroom if you log on to your booking on RCCL website.

Summary: if there is a chance you will have to cancel your cruise 75+ days in advance, change your stateroom or change one of the passengers, you are better off booking in the US. Under norwegian policy you will have to pay a fee.

For those wondering, these are some of the differences:

US policy (small excerpt) http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

Norwegian policy:

I'm not sure about the US policy on changing staterooms, but from what I remember you can in some cases change your stateroom if you log on to your booking on RCCL website.

Summary: if there is a chance you will have to cancel your cruise 75+ days in advance, change your stateroom or change one of the passengers, you are better off booking in the US. Under norwegian policy you will have to pay a fee.

German RCCL policy is also 10% cancelation fee from the date of booking (75+). Not flexible at all. On the other hand prizes are much better in the US. So if you can, use a US travel agent. As a European citizen you are not allowed to book via the RCI US-Website but via US internet travel agents. In thsi case you are not protected by European law if the cruise company goes bancrupt but I believe this is not a big risk with RCI.

Thanks everyone; I always book directly with RCCL, however, we have plenty of time to make a final decision. The relative that lives in the UK may be in US visiting me during the time we are considering so that will make it easier.