Chilkoot Yukon Rail & Bus Tour

renaissancewoman101

I am planning to book this tour through Chilkoot, since I have read on here that it is best since the tours are smaller and they have a train car to themselves. Do the tours fill up quickly? Right now there is availability. My cruise is the first week of Sept. I was hoping to hold out until it gets closer to cruise time (to see about weather).

Sorry, it's a waste of time "seeing about weather". Predictions are frequently too vague or wrong. There is a wide range of "weather" on this trip, anyway- (I am assuming, you are doing the all day tour to Emerald Lake?) What is your "weather" idea and trip booking minimum?

And yes, Chilkoot does usually sell out.

Budget Queen, thanks for your reply.

I had wanted to do Bennett Scenic Journey, but they aren't doing the tour that week, so I am now looking at the Yukon Rail and Bus Tour (and yes, Emerald Lake is one of the stops).

Hoping it will be not foggy (since I heard that fog means less scenic). I'm only booking for myself (since I am solo cruising). I hope to book in the beginning of August.

I did the Bennett Scenic Journey in late June of 12. Skagway was overcast and you could not see the mountain tops - by the time we reached Fraser we had clear skies and sun - that was the weather the rest of the day - including the last bit into Skagway.

As BQ stated - weather in AK is very unpredictable and can and does change quickly.

I am planning to book this tour through Chilkoot, since I have read on here that it is best since the tours are smaller and they have a train car to themselves. Do the tours fill up quickly? Right now there is availability. My cruise is the first week of Sept. I was hoping to hold out until it gets closer to cruise time (to see about weather).

I don't know this for sure, but from my experience and reading others' posts it seems Chilkoot always have the end coach with the best outside viewing platform, so that's another reason to book with them.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

I did the Bennett Scenic Journey in late June of 12. Skagway was overcast and you could not see the mountain tops - by the time we reached Fraser we had clear skies and sun - that was the weather the rest of the day - including the last bit into Skagway.

As BQ stated - weather in AK is very unpredictable and can and does change quickly.

what did you think about this tour? would you recommend it? did you find it a long day?

I don't know this for sure, but from my experience and reading others' posts it seems Chilkoot always have the end coach with the best outside viewing platform, so that's another reason to book with them.

This is NOT true. I've done tours with Chilkoot twice, and have not been on the last car either time. Others have also claimed to have near empty cars, and that's not always the case either. When I did the Bennett tour, we picked up hikers in Bennett, and half our car was reserved for them, making our portion of the car somewhat crowded. Even so, I'd still rather tour with Chilkoot for their smaller buses and groups.

I've done the Lake Bennett tour with Chilkoot twice and enjoyed it both times. Neither time were we the last car but that wasn't a big deal. First time we only had about 15 people on the train and had lots of room. 2nd trip we started out the same but for the portion from Lake Bennett to Carcross we had a group of hikes join and the car had lots more people. Still not full and less crowded than the cruise line cars. Smaller bus both times which makes it much easier to get on/off at any photo stops.

A long day is relative. The time goes but rather quickly for me as you are seeing and doing different things. If you want a long tour try the Copper Canyon excursion down in Mexico. That tour was about 20+ hours long, we left the ship about 4am and returned at almost 12 midnight :)

I too have not had the "last" car with Chilkoot Charters. i have gone with this company more than once, plus, using another vendor on my trip last year.

With the INTEREST, this is a varied, spectacular tour.

The rail cars are NEVER without seats for everyone, with them being "full"- always a possibility. There are so many "myths" that are reported by some people- usually one timers, who seem to think their experience is going to happen every time. As can be seen, there are many ranges of experiences with all these tours. But the basics, are give with fact on this board.

Yes, an excellent tour to consider- BUT- there are all kinds of reasons why it isn't a good choice as well. With a repetitive- should I, shouldn't I, tells me- it isn't a choice for me to make, and may not be right for this person. Reason, I will always, suggest further thinking, and not being swayed with some "Must do" claims. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I booked my Chilkoot Yukon Rail and Bus tour today, for the 8:30 AM bus first. Looking forward to it. Just as a reminder, what side of the bus should I sit on for best views, and also on the train? I'm really looking forward to this along with my Pilot's Choice heli tour in Juneau.

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait till my cruise in Sept.

DougH, thanks for the pointers.

Does anybody know why Chilkoot only runs their Bennett scenic tour only through the first weekend in Sept, while their other tours run till end of Sept?

I had hoped to do the Bennett scenic tour, but they are done for the season for that tour, the week before I arrive.

DougH, thanks for the pointers.

Does anybody know why Chilkoot only runs their Bennett scenic tour only through the first weekend in Sept, while their other tours run till end of Sept?

I had hoped to do the Bennett scenic tour, but they are done for the season for that tour, the week before I arrive.

Some reasons are the extra supplies/ work involved with keeping the Station House open, track upkeep. They simply don't run this excursion the full season. A common "problem" with some cruise passengers and their ship bookings. This tour also starts later in the season as well.

The times I was there I'd guess the stop in Lake Bennett was about 90 minutes. Lunch was served pretty quickly (and was pretty good beef stew) so I'd say you will have about an hour to wander around some of the trails in the area. Now that they have built up Carcross a little I'd like to have a little more time there. My last tour we only had about 15 minutes before switching from bus to train, the train had to leave on schedule.. First time the train was first so we had a bit more time in Carcross as the bus could leave anytime to head back to Skagway.

Edited by DougH

The times I was there I'd guess the stop in Lake Bennett was about 90 minutes. Lunch was served pretty quickly (and was pretty good beef stew) so I'd say you will have about an hour to wander around some of the trails in the area. Now that they have built up Carcross a little I'd like to have a little more time there. My last tour we only had about 15 minutes before switching from bus to train, the train had to leave on schedule.. First time the train was first so we had a bit more time in Carcross as the bus could leave anytime to head back to Skagway.

Thanks!

Apart from lunch, what is there to do at Bennett Lake? Is there time to walk on trails?

I make time to walk the Chilkoot Trail. ;) I pick at the lunch for a few minutes, then I'm out the door. A couple of my trips there, there was a guided walk. There is a LOT to see on the trails, along with discards. Interesting thoughts, I always have about, who did they belong to, their "story", why they were left, where they were purchased. My mind races. Significant recent history. ;)

I make time to walk the Chilkoot Trail. ;) I pick at the lunch for a few minutes, then I'm out the door. A couple of my trips there, there was a guided walk. There is a LOT to see on the trails, along with discards. Interesting thoughts, I always have about, who did they belong to, their "story", why they were left, where they were purchased. My mind races. Significant recent history. ;)

That would be wonderful if there was a walk --are the trails easy to find? It is a fascinating history.