Lady evening fashions - help!

UandMe4Ever

Hi, I was wondering if ladies (mature) still wear Black, soft Palazzo Pants with a dressy top for "Formal Night" or is that totally out of style?

Would a nice pair of black slacks and a dressy top suffice instead?

If anyone has any ideas or input from a recent cruise on Princess, I could use some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Safe sails.

Nice black pants, palazzo or not, with a dressy top and pretty shoes is a formal night staple for many women. I do it sometimes myself, especially on longer cruises. Some women wear cocktail dresses, and others may just wear a dress. With the luggage limits of the airlines today people often don;t want to pack a lot of formal attire for just one or two nights.

My simple attire is a long black dress (chicos or travelsmith have wonderful ones you can ball up in your suitcase and still look great). I bring 3 or 4 assorted bits of foofoo, little chiffon kimono jacket, scarfy poncho, and other silky scarf weight articles, to make it look a little different. I also bring a couple of drapy T-shirts (silver, gold, black, white, whatever) that I can wear with jeans or pants on regular nights, or pair with the black pants and foofoo on formal night. We are doing the world cruise isn 2016, and I have no idea how many formal nights there are going to be on a 111 day cruise, but I don't want to devote more than 1/4 of my suitcase to formal wear.

Thank you very much. I just may wear the Palazzo pants. I can 'roll them' and they won't crease.

Have a fabulous cruise in 2016. I can't imagine being on a cruise for some many days. How much do you pack for that?

Safe sails to you.

As the previous poster wrote with luggage restrictions I saw very few "dressed to 9's" I wore palazzo pants and it was fine. Actually, it was perfect. But black pants and a sparkly blouse and you'd be fine too

True formal wear has gone out the door for me - I have several black travelers outfits,(the dressier, sparkly ones), from Chico's that I wear on formal nights. LOVE them and I've never felt underdressed.

Dressy, slinky knit black pants - whatever the cut - and dressy tops (silky or sequined or flowy) are my usual go tos, with the exception of a lovely crocheted caftan creation I came across that packs like a dream, are on my packing list for cruising. You will be just fine. Bon Voyage.

Hi, I was wondering if ladies (mature) still wear Black, soft Palazzo Pants with a dressy top for "Formal Night" or is that totally out of style?

Would a nice pair of black slacks and a dressy top suffice instead?

If anyone has any ideas or input from a recent cruise on Princess, I could use some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Safe sails.

That's my cruise wear. Very easy to pack, comfortable after a big meal. And after all that with an elegant top its perfect for formal nights.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DH loves to see me in a dress. So I pack a cocktail dress and black crepe pants for the two or three formal nights. Depending on my mood, I'll just repeat the dress for the second night..if it still fits.:D The black crepe pants aren't chiffony palazzo so I can wear them any night.

I really dress for DH and myself. If someone recognizes the same top or dress twice, I certainly don't care. Most outfits are counted for two nights. Just mix and match. I stick with black. white and accent pieces. Expecially on the 10-12 plus day cruises. I pack little more for those than a week cruise.

Anything you feel comfortable and dressy in will work.

As another mentioned above, Chico's has great travel clothes that do not wrinkle. On many trips (cruise or not) I have had black "Chico's Travelers" as my base. Then dressed up or down depending on the night with jewelry, a scarf or wrap. I felt comfortable and fit in with the evening attire.

With suitcase space a premium nowadays, you need to prioritize.;)

I am bringing paladar pants and a few silky or sparkly tops on our cruise to Panama Canal. In the past I often packed dresses or a black pencil skirt with a sparkly top. Some sparkly costume jewelry also is nice. I never take my good jewelry on vacation. Wear whatever makes you feel special. Don't worry about your fellow passengers.

Edited by scienceteacher

I've seen "less mature" ladies in palazzos and tops, so I think it will be just fine. :) Ladies get bit more leeway in what they can wear for formal night than the men do. Maybe that's not fair, but that's how it is.

I've seen "less mature" ladies in palazzos and tops, so I think it will be just fine. :) Ladies get bit more leeway in what they can wear for formal night than the men do. Maybe that's not fair, but that's how it is.

So true. Men should only be seen in a tux or dinner jacket.;)

I too think ladies get a lot of leeway on formal nights. ;) Seems everyone is so worried about the men who aren't wearing a suit and tie, that they overlook the women in the cotton sundresses (ready for a pool party) on Carib itineraries and the many "Sunday" dresses, black jeans with fancy top, office slacks with sweater etc. What's with that?:)

But they do not conform to the guidelines that Princess puts out for Formal nights. If not dressed to those guidelines then you should eat in either the buffet or a specialty restaurant. Why should there be any leeway given to women and not for men. Sounds like sex discrimmination.

But they do not conform to the guidelines that Princess puts out for Formal nights. If not dressed to those guidelines then you should eat in either the buffet or a specialty restaurant. Why should there be any leeway given to women and not for men. Sounds like sex discrimmination.

Why would the women be turned away if non jacket and tie men aren't on formal nights? :D

What about for Alaska. We leave in 38 day and have no idea what to take for formal nights for me.

The rules are the same no matter what the intinerary, (contrary to what you might hear here.) Are you a man or a woman?

I haven't sailed with Princess for several years. How formal are the formal nights these days?? Will DH be fine with a sports jacket and tie, or does he need a suit? Will I be fine with a print dress (not a sun dress, but a dress like you'd wear to a summer wedding) and sandals (I cannot wear heels), or does it need to be a dark dressy dress with fancy heeled shoes? I am so sick of black dresses on myself and have no choice regarding heels.

I haven't sailed with Princess for several years. How formal are the formal nights these days?? Will DH be fine with a sports jacket and tie, or does he need a suit? Will I be fine with a print dress (not a sun dress, but a dress like you'd wear to a summer wedding) and sandals (I cannot wear heels), or does it need to be a dark dressy dress with fancy heeled shoes? I am so sick of black dresses on myself and have no choice regarding heels.

A dress you would wear to a wedding will work. No one checks heel height. ;) If DH has on a jacket and tie, he will look fine. (Well, he should also wear a shirt and some pants, too, lol.)

A dress you would wear to a wedding will work. No one checks heel height. ;) If DH has on a jacket and tie, he will look fine. (Well, he should also wear a shirt and some pants, too, lol.)

He has a new light colored sports jacket he bought for summer...does his jacket need to be dark? How do most men dress for formal night? How do most women dress?

Thank you so much!!