Lady evening fashions - help!

UandMe4Ever

He has a new light colored sports jacket he bought for summer...does his jacket need to be dark? How do most men dress for formal night? How do most women dress?

Thank you so much!!

No, I don't think his jacket needs to be dark (after all, the white dinner jacket is a thing!). One idea to dress it up a little might be to wear a dark shirt under it. So, say it's a light tan jacket, pick a dark chocolate brown shirt and a solid colour cream or very pale yellow tie. If it's a light gray jacket, do a black shirt and maybe a pale blue/pale green (depending on the shade of gray) tie. That monochrome look will formal-up a light sports coat.

Why would the women be turned away if non jacket and tie men aren't on formal nights? :D

But some posting on here say it is disrespectful to othets if ALL do not follow the guidelines. The old saying what is good for the gander is good for the goose. Yes I changed it around a little.

The rules are the same no matter what the intinerary, (contrary to what you might hear here.) Are you a man or a woman?

Conforming to the guidelines should be tha same for all, whether man or woman,

He has a new light colored sports jacket he bought for summer...does his jacket need to be dark? How do most men dress for formal night? How do most women dress?

Thank you so much!!

My hubby doesn't have a dark dark jacket. He brings the jacket that he had purchased some years ago for promotional interviews at work and pair with a dress shirt, nice slacks, and colorful ties.

I would say silky pants would fit right in for women on formal nights. When I see "slacks" for women, I'm thinking more of a step up from denim and not formal But softer pants (which I'm guessing the OP is referring to) would be fine paired with a nice top.

Plus you don't need to wear heels. At least I don't.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

I'm thinking of a long knitted material skirt with a toning top and long sleeve top over it-I've been warned the dining rooms can be cool. I've only planned the 1 evening outfit, will air it out and wear again the next night, and the last night-3 night cruise, so probably no Formal Night.

Must look around for a dark brown, long skirt-preferably knitted fabric which is more comfortable and forgiving for me to wear, with a contrasting top and jacket. I'm planning Sabatini's, Crown Grill and hopefully Crab Shack for the evening meals, know I'd get away with day wear at Crab Shack.

Without being contentious, there are normally only 1 or 2 formal nights per cruise, so if you are worried about not having the 'right' attire, why not just eat elsewhere on those nights? It is not as if the wholes ship is 'formal', so just leave your jacket/tie/long dress at home and relax.

Hi, thanks for your input! We have tried the Buffet for dinner on a few different ships. We still prefer the MDR for dinner. Breakfast and/or lunch fine for Buffet if DR is closed on port days. We do a specialty or 2 other nights. There is still something about dressing a little more for the formal night. For us, it's part of the cruise experience after all these years....

Thanks again!

Have a long black crepe skirt and pants had it for years ,add evening tops to this.Have these stored away cleaned and brought out for my cruises.

With the air restrictions on luggage,unless one travels business or first class no way could one pack formal dresses.

Mind you have been on strict diet ,lost weight so this might be a problem in future:D

Edited by kruisey

Hi, I was wondering if ladies (mature) still wear Black, soft Palazzo Pants with a dressy top for "Formal Night" or is that totally out of style?

Would a nice pair of black slacks and a dressy top suffice instead?

If anyone has any ideas or input from a recent cruise on Princess, I could use some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Safe sails.

Absolutely...my choice as well :).