Periscoping on a cruise?

Yorkvillain

So, you have to be a twitter member to follow or is there another way?

I think you are able to create a new account for just parascope.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blah blah blah. This thread just reminds me once again why I mostly despise people in general. I'm done here.

Then you must really love cruising and being on a ship with 6000 of those mostly despicable creatures.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Problem 1 -

Problem 2 -

Problem 3 - the quality is horrible. From watching one of Gina's videos from last night, I noticed a LOT of pixellation, low quality picture, but I assumed it was because it was at night, over cell networks, and there was a lot of moving around. When I replayed my own stream the quality was equally awful, and as I said that was over wifi, no camera movement, good lighting.

Conclusion: I probably won't really use Periscope myself. I'll keep it installed and joyfully follow Gina's reports (if I'm online/awake at the right times). I can see it could be handy if you were caught in some kind of breaking news event, but for less time critical purposes like holiday reviews I'd be as well off recording the video in decent quality and uploading it to Youtube either almost immediately, if I have data access, or next time I'm somewhere data-y.

Again, having said all that, I'll certainly enjoy watching others, but I think the app isn't widespread enough yet, and with enough bandwidth behind it to make it great yet.

So, I've been watching Gina's streams through the afternoon (my time). The quality comes and goes - it was best when she was in the car on mobile connection, and worst when she's on wifi on the ship. Not sure if it's a wifi thing in general - my quality was also awful on wifi.

I'm starting to "get" the live streaming thing. There's a bunch of us sending her comments/feedback (and directions!) as she's streaming, and she's reading those out and replying/reacting as we do so (as an example, she was trying to find the boardwalk, and a bunch of people were able to direct her - she also responded to queries about the cabin "on the fly" and showed what people were asking about).

It's far more interactive than "just" taking a video, even with narration. I think some of that is Gina's personality - she's giving a running commentary as she goes, responding to the messages on screen, etc. I think that's the way you need to do it to keep people interested, particularly with the poorer quality images in some places.

If you playback the stream later, you don't get to see the comments that pop up while you're watching it live, which I think is a pity. Gina's dealing with that by reading them out - something to take note of, future Periscopers.

Still not sure I'd pay for constant wifi on board _just_ for Periscope. I may practise a bit between now and my next cruise - as we'll have a lot of port stops where I'll have a roaming data package, I may do a few streams morning and evening while I'm in range of the mobile towers.

So, I've been watching Gina's streams through the afternoon (my time). The quality comes and goes - it was best when she was in the car on mobile connection, and worst when she's on wifi on the ship. Not sure if it's a wifi thing in general - my quality was also awful on wifi.

I'm starting to "get" the live streaming thing. There's a bunch of us sending her comments/feedback (and directions!) as she's streaming, and she's reading those out and replying/reacting as we do so (as an example, she was trying to find the boardwalk, and a bunch of people were able to direct her - she also responded to queries about the cabin "on the fly" and showed what people were asking about).

It's far more interactive than "just" taking a video, even with narration. I think some of that is Gina's personality - she's giving a running commentary as she goes, responding to the messages on screen, etc. I think that's the way you need to do it to keep people interested, particularly with the poorer quality images in some places.

If you playback the stream later, you don't get to see the comments that pop up while you're watching it live, which I think is a pity. Gina's dealing with that by reading them out - something to take note of, future Periscopers.

Still not sure I'd pay for constant wifi on board _just_ for Periscope. I may practise a bit between now and my next cruise - as we'll have a lot of port stops where I'll have a roaming data package, I may do a few streams morning and evening while I'm in range of the mobile towers.

Nice write up. Yeah I think the video quality has to do with where you are when you are recording. Most of the videos that I have seen on periscope have been pretty close to broadcast quality.

OMG! They killed Kenny's camera!

41rqKoh-FbL.jpg

Then you must really love cruising and being on a ship with 6000 of those mostly despicable creatures.

(playing Trivial Pursuit)

The capital of Pennsylvania is...

"Philadelphia."

No, sorry. The answer is Harrisburg.

"I despise you. Screw you, I'm leaving."

Periscope is very young technology, having been bought by Twitter only last March.

I've gotten quite addicted to it ever since iLuvcruisin started her broadcasts this week. This week, it's Gina and after her, somebody else will be broadcasting their Oasis cruise. Based on the two ship scopes I've seen, quality seems to be best with personal cellphone carriers, not so good on-board. The Oasis scopes seem to be best in port and worst at sea.

Not sure why you're not getting comments on replays, Thoie. I see them on my replays all the time and I've been looking at dozens of scopes. The best ones seem to have the following:

• Clear signal.
  • Constant patter by the broadcaster, with quick responses to people texting in. As you saw with Gina, people were able to help her get around the ship and she answered our questions interactively. She was also the first one to provide news on the Oasis turning back, with her followers telling her about the emergency vehicles on the dock via webcam.
  • Either the camera is fixed in place or moving forward with a steady hand, so viewers get a sense of what's going on. An occasional slow pan is nice too.

I tried scoping privately around my house and it's a lot of work to do a good one. But it comes easier with time.

We seem to be on the ground floor of an exciting technology that can transform social media. I've already recommended it to one of my clients.

Blah blah blah. This thread just reminds me once again why I mostly despise people in general. I'm done here.

In perusing CC, have you ever noticed that rude and obnoxious behaviors being discussed appear to primarily involve several low end mass market cruise lines? I seem to remember the Carnival Forum even having an administrator warning about the use of foul language.

For a few moments there I thought they were starting submarine cruises.

Yeah. Or from the subject heading I was picturing someone leaning way over bottom deck to put a periscope in the water and I couldn't figure out why.

Am I the last person in the world not to have a smart phone? I have a cell phone but I've had it for years and years. It is a phone, but not smart.;)

Yeah. Or from the subject heading I was picturing someone leaning way over bottom deck to put a periscope in the water and I couldn't figure out why.

Am I the last person in the world not to have a smart phone? I have a cell phone but I've had it for years and years. It is a phone, but not smart.;)

I don't have a smartphone either, NMLady. But I do have an iPad, so can watch Periscope from there. There are also websites that aggregate the scopes, so you can watch them from any desktop.

No, you are NOT the last person in the world to not have a smart phone. I still have my trusty T-mobile magenta Motorola RAZR from 2006. Best phone out there at the time (it had the largest screen). It is a quad-band phone, so it is great for travel (just buy a SIM or pay T-Mo for infrequent "emergency" use). I don't text, have no desire to text. My iPad Mini does everything that a smart phone does, outside of making phone calls (well, I can with Skype) or text (well, it could if I paid for ZipWhip or another texting service). Why do I need to upgrade??? ;)

Back on topic: my first thought on "periscoping" was those reflecting tubes that used to be around at parades, golf tourneys, where one would use one from the back of the crowd to see what was going on. Now that I know what the current "periscope" is, I have no problem with it. If someone wants to do it, why not? The closest I get to something like that is that I take a few photos that I took on my Mini each day and post them up on Facebook for my friends to drool over. This would just take it to another level. Go for it!!!

Periscope is very young technology, having been bought by Twitter only last March.

I've gotten quite addicted to it ever since iLuvcruisin started her broadcasts this week. This week, it's Gina and after her, somebody else will be broadcasting their Oasis cruise. Based on the two ship scopes I've seen, quality seems to be best with personal cellphone carriers, not so good on-board. The Oasis scopes seem to be best in port and worst at sea.

Not sure why you're not getting comments on replays, Thoie. I see them on my replays all the time and I've been looking at dozens of scopes. The best ones seem to have the following:

• Clear signal.
  • Constant patter by the broadcaster, with quick responses to people texting in. As you saw with Gina, people were able to help her get around the ship and she answered our questions interactively. She was also the first one to provide news on the Oasis turning back, with her followers telling her about the emergency vehicles on the dock via webcam.
  • Either the camera is fixed in place or moving forward with a steady hand, so viewers get a sense of what's going on. An occasional slow pan is nice too.

I tried scoping privately around my house and it's a lot of work to do a good one. But it comes easier with time.

We seem to be on the ground floor of an exciting technology that can transform social media. I've already recommended it to one of my clients.

Something I've noticed is that I sometimes see the comments/hearts in the playback, and sometimes don't. I have a suspicion that if I start the playback too soon, the comments don't come through, but if you wait a while they do. Will test this out later. Had missed Gina's second last stream. Didn't see comments in playback. Will try playing that one again in a while (why not now?) and see if they come through...

Yup - it looks like you have to leave it "some time" for the comments to show up on playback. That "time" is less than 20 minutes, and more than 0 seconds. Will try pin it down.

I think the patter is probably the most important bit - I checked out a random stream this morning (some guy walking to his job in Disney world/land to the Pirates of the Caribbean thingy. This was before the park was open to guests, the weather was nice, the sun was up... and I didn't bother to continue watching as the user wasn't talking so I had no idea what I was seeing.

Gina seems to have her phone on some kind of stick which keeps it pretty stable as she walks. I don't think I'd go to that amount of effort, so if I was doing it I'd be more likely to do a morning/afternoon piece when I'm sitting in one place. I did a quick google for stablisation devices and found the Stayblcam, which looks very nifty, but I don't see myself spending $75+ just to stream to a bunch of strangers who may not be watching :)

I'm enjoying this thread with lunch at Sabor- table side guacamole?[emoji3]--- I'm only using a selfie stick that I picked up at Walmart for$14 the day before the cruise. My family is making fun of me, [emoji5]️ but it does help keep the phone/camera more stable. Overall Stability will likely depend on how many drinks I've had. [emoji6]. I'm as new to this as everyone else - I'm enjoying the technology and opportunity to share my experiences with others who are interested. I appreciate the feedback and tips to improve the broadcasts- thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain how this is done. Thank you.

DrB

My favorite is WatchOnPeriscope (you'll need to add a dot-com to the end).

You can watch several scopes at the same time and if you sign in for free, you can leave comments as well.