July 2015 Cruise Critic article says NCL has a reputation for nickel-and-diming

fstuff1

Generally I agree. However, my issue with NCL has been their lack of notice of the changes (including informing passengers for the first time upon boarding); its hard to do one's research if they aren't provided accurate information.

Also, it may not be "nickel & diming," but the two DSC increases, other increased/new grats, room service charge, a la carte specialities, and now reduced port times are, to me, attempts to claw additional nickels and dimes out of my wallet (or, at least, cut costs).

With all due respect as I have said previously people are cruising all the time so in reality there will never be enough notice. If they would have said this 5 months ago then people cruising a week after the announcement would have complained due to lack of notice

I'm not convinced by the "just don't spend any money on board" argument as it presumes that there's no added enjoyment for the additional cost. I enjoy a drink or two, which is an extra expense. But my knowledge that it is an extra expense doesn't somehow mean that I should be happy with any tinkering with or increase in that expense. If I board the ship and, for the first time am informed that drink prices have increased by 50% (for my convenience, no doubt), I would be displeased. Is that "nickel & diming"? Maybe not, but its shady.

In fairness as a just said and I would love to see somebody's knowledge this, since they are people cruising all the time there will never be adequate notice. People always complain that they weren't given enough time in advance knowledge.

With all due respect as I have said previously people are cruising all the time so in reality there will never be enough notice. If they would have said this 5 months ago then people cruising a week after the announcement would have complained due to lack of notice

Of course they could; they're somehow able to notify us of upcoming deals and new ships, etc. They could just as easily say "Starting with our 2016 sailings, we'll be doing X." That's far different from boarding the ship and learning of X.

Will some people not get the memo? Of course: look at some of the reviews and you'll see people who took zero steps to figure out what to expect. But that's on them. Will some people still complain? Of course, but I think their complaints are more with the merits of the change than the notice (ie, the second DSC change for which NCL provided a heads up and allowed people to pre-pay at the current rate). But I don't buy the "its too hard to be transparent, so we'll do nothing" argument.

You seem to think that these changes are thought up over breakfast and implemented before lunch. I would certainly hope that there's more of a process than that, and, if so, there's no reason why there can't be advanced notice.

Edited by Cauzneffct

We are cruising NCL because of the outdoor activities on Getaway. The fact that we could pick UDP helped us with that decision. I have never been interested in any line where a large portion of the restaurants are upcharges. The UDP helps to hide that issue (although it is still really there, I won't feel it). To me I want the price for the cruise to include close to everything. I'm okay with one or two restaurants being upcharge. I also don't like activities to be upcharged. It takes away from the overall feel for me. As a party of 8 even a "small charge" multiplies to a "large charge" quickly.

When we booked, Illusionarium was free if you went on the first night. Now that will be upcharged. We've seen the change in room service (which I used a bit on both Princess and DCL). We aren't pulling out of our cruise, but anyplace where I see a charge not covered by the fare feels like a nickel and dime experience. I am sure we will have a lot of fun on Getaway. I just wish it was really the product I reserved in March.

Having a reputation and having it right are not the same thing.

Remember, the view of the writer was just his/her view: nothing more. Editors, whatever have opinions just like we do and often don't have much to back their opinions on. The article said: NCL has the reputation: a reputation may or may not be accurate.

The thing that puzzles me is the CC article itself. They discuss quite a few things with some detail. But in making the nickel and dime comment prominently in the beginning of the article, they neglect to give a single example of the nickel and diming. To me that phrase means you get on board for free (almost free) and then have to pay for everything on board, i.e. nightclub charging a cover charge, nightly shows have a charge, dinner has a charge, etc. With NCL you can sail for a week and never spend a penny more than the DSC. Multiple daily meals, entertainment, cruise ports, snacks, everything is included. They do offer many, many options that do have a charge, but they are OPTIONS!

As only one poster has observed, the article actually says that NCL has a reputation for nickle and diming but actual analysis of their prices shows that it isn't accurate.

As only one poster has observed, the article actually says that NCL has a reputation for nickle and diming but actual analysis of their prices shows that it isn't accurate.

NCL had that reputation long before anyone ever heard of Frank Del Rio so this is nothing new.

What some call nickel and diming others call A La Carte. Some changes bother me some not so much.

For us the cruise price has been less on NCL but we know we will have extra expenses for dinning plan and spa passes but that s not something we HAVE to buy its something we want to enjoy so we buy it.

Just a FYI NCL drinks prices are much less than what we saw on Quantum.

Now the A la Carte pricing in the specialties really upset my DH so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

People like to toss out the words 'nickel & diming' for extra fee stuff that has a free alternative and/or is genuine free choice; as if they don't do this or buy it, they will die and/or vacation is completely and utterly destroyed. Let's be honest - that article didn't state what the nickel and diming is on NCL exactly, only people who have negative outlook of the line are assuming its XYZ. Because the same can be said of Carnival being a cutback line where they reduced the time of some their complimentary eateries more so than NCL plus majority of their ships doesn't have has many dining choices compare to even NCL smallest oldest ship in the fleet.

You're either going to like NCL for having a choice in paying extra for stuff that has a complimentary choice via the ship /port stop ~or~ you're going to like Carnival for the cutbacks but still being inclusive will not having much for extra-fee stuff for complimentary choices. It all about personal preferences and some people just can not cope that line(s) are not going to completely satisfied all their preferences. Instead of moving on to different cruise lines that at least satisfies most of personal preferences /desire, some people like to bad-mouth about a line like it going to completely stop all the changes that its going through. I'm sure some Carnival cruisers are just as upset that's their not getting much good last minute deals on thier line compare to last year as much along with raising prices; just as some NCL cruisers are upset about raised DSC, room service fees, some specialty restaurants going a la carte, etc.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Here's my take:

I've always disagreed with the idea that NCL nickels and dimes it's customers. They are simply offering many different (extra $$$) choices, whether they be dining, activities or entertainment. Guests are not obligated to purchase these. But these various choices may help attract a larger percentage of the general population to try an NCL cruise, since nearly everyone will find something that interests them aboard a NCL ship, which is smart business.

To me, examples of nickel and diming would be if NCL charged you to use a beach towel or a lounge chair for the day.

Just my opinion...

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

and what makes you think the 18% isn't a gratuity? Remember the bar servers, for instance were not including in the tipping pool until the 18% or before that 15% was added. How much do you tip at your local bar or do you?

Every cruise line will find a way of making a few extra bucks

I don't believe it's a gratuity because that's what we were told the diningroom surcharge was- years ago, when they first started charging for specialty restaurants - because those servers were not included in the normal tipping.

A price increase is what this is and NCL is too sneaky to just own it. Instead they want to guilt us by calling it a gratuity.

Because the alternative for me is Carnival and that's the greater of the two evils. Also, the older ships like the Jewel and Dawn class ships don't suffer from this built-in shortage problem.

Carnival gets a bad rap and not all is deserved; a lot is due to the passengers on a particular sailing and not the line. I started cruising with them when NCL disappointed me on the last cruise. I find that I spend a lot less on board because I am happier with their 'included' options.

I am not happy with a barebones cruise and end up paying too much onboard to get the cruise I want on NCL ships.

Carnival gets a bad rap and not all is deserved; a lot is due to the passengers on a particular sailing and not the line.

Don't get me wrong. My Carnival cruise was fun. This was before the Triumph disaster, but even back then I could sense that Carnival was a company that would cut every corner to provide the bare minimum of food quality, entertainment, etc. to get a satisfactory rating from their customers. They're like an American car company where NCL is closer to a Japanese car company. Sure NCL wants to minimize costs and maximize profits, but there's a line they won't cross. (Okay, I admit with the reduced port times, they're beginning to bend a bit too far, IMHO.) I swore last year that this year's cruise would be the last for a while, but my cruise on the Gem was really nice and affordable and Disney World needs one more year to get all their planned upgrades implemented. Next year, I'm back on the Breakaway for a 9 day cruise. I don't mind the Breakaway too much since I can handle all the advanced planning and I'm doing an inside cabin. Yeah, there's annoyances with the Breakaway, but every ship has pros and cons. After that cruise, I'm taking a break from cruising. Maybe by 2018 Disney Cruise Lines will be back in NY.

Generally I agree. However, my issue with NCL has been their lack of notice of the changes (including informing passengers for the first time upon boarding); its hard to do one's research if they aren't provided accurate information.

Also, it may not be "nickel & diming," but the two DSC increases, other increased/new grats, room service charge, a la carte specialities, and now reduced port times are, to me, attempts to claw additional nickels and dimes out of my wallet (or, at least, cut costs).

The lack of communication is the only objection I have and it seems to be getting a little better. I am not quite sure I know what you mean by informing passengers while boarding, inform them of what? As for the reduced port times, none of us really know the true reason behind this. There are many possibilities.