Are infants and toddlers cheaper?

Jenhem31

Looking to possibly make a reservation for 2 adults and a 1 year old to a cruise we are taking in September.

I know on Disney and I think RC they ask for ages of children, but it looks like Carnival does not. All children are same cruise fare?

Please no flaming, I do understand that it's a person no matter how small that's taking up room on the ship. No, I don't feel that it should be cheaper, I've just never had to book a family before.

No, they are full price. Disney asks for ages bevcasuse the limit the number of kids in each age group. Carnival does ask for birthdate. I assume they get the age from that if they need it. I have seen lines offer kids sale free, but whenever we looked to book them, it costs more for the adults. I just look at it as buying the room not paying per person.

On Carnival, everyone's fare is the same.

But it is a little less for the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin, no matter the age.

Also, tips are not charged for children under 2.

No, they are full price. Disney asks for ages bevcasuse the limit the number of kids in each age group. Carnival does ask for birthdate. I assume they get the age from that if they need it. I have seen lines offer kids sale free, but whenever we looked to book them, it costs more for the adults. I just look at it as buying the room not paying per person.

Gotcha. Thank you. I did a mock booking on Disney a few months back and he was cheaper. Maybe they were running a special.

On Carnival's booking engine you won't see a difference but an average price per person. Do a mock booking for two, then another for three and you'll be able to figure out the rate. Or call Carnival, they can probably tell you.

Assuming your fare is $1200, online it will say each passenger is $400. But on the invoice it will be broken down as 1passenger $500, 2passenger $500, 3passenger $200.

Look at the overall price, not just the third person's.

But it is a little less for the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin, no matter the age.

In my experience, it is a lot less. On our upcoming cruise, the fare for my wife and I is $664 pp. For our daughter, it's only $179. Of course, this does not include taxes and port fees of $139 pp and $84 pp for gratuities. In any case, I have found Carnival to be much more reasonable for the 3rd person than Royal Caribbean. In pricing out cruise fares, I've often seen RCI charge $500+ for the 3rd person, regardless of age.

Looking to possibly make a reservation for 2 adults and a 1 year old to a cruise we are taking in September.

I know on Disney and I think RC they ask for ages of children, but it looks like Carnival does not. All children are same cruise fare?

Please no flaming, I do understand that it's a person no matter how small that's taking up room on the ship. No, I don't feel that it should be cheaper, I've just never had to book a family before.

Also on Disney, 2 and under is less than 3 and over (for 3rd person). That's another reason they ask for age. I have a Disney cruise booked for Jan., and my 2yo grandson was less than 3yo granddaughter. But he also isn't included in the children's programs.

I am surprised they aren't included in auto tips. I overtip in restaurants now and usually clean up the majority of the mess my little guy makes myself! :rolleyes:

That's what most would do. Or control the "mess".

You might wait for a "more = merrier" sale if you can (or book early saver and keep checking for that sale for a price drop). I've found that rate to be the cheapest when traveling with 3 in a cabin (my husband and I travel with our toddler). As others have mentioned, you will save some as the 1 year old will not be required to pay tips.

Happy cruising! :D

You might wait for a "more = merrier" sale if you can (or book early saver and keep checking for that sale for a price drop). I've found that rate to be the cheapest when traveling with 3 in a cabin (my husband and I travel with our toddler). As others have mentioned, you will save some as the 1 year old will not be required to pay tips.

Happy cruising! :D

With auto tips you are not required to tip but since the little one is making his own mess only fair to kick in something extra.

It was $199 for our 13 month old grand daughter on a 7 days cruise. Paid the same fees and taxes as we did. We were not charged the auto tip for her.

We gave the room steward extra cash because she did not receive the 3rd person auto tip.

We did not have extra mess having her in our cabin but we did give her and her team extra work on the first day. They had to remove the arm chair and coffee table from the cabin to make room for the crib. Having the crib and our stroller may have made it harder for them to vacuum but no extra mess as we are usually quite tidy with or without a baby.

Edited by mississauga