Alaska Early May

dan801

I know there has been so discussion of May vs September etc but I was specially curious about early May. We are looking at going with NCL on May 5th for 10 days. The itinerary is ideal for us because it stops at so many places compared to the 3-4 ports for the other 7 day cruises with Princess, Carnival etc.

What's it like in early May? - mid to late May I am confident would be better weather etc, and now i'm reading that early May they could cancel shore excursions and weather could be much worse then if we took a cruise two weeks later. Any feedback of being one of the first ships out for the season?

We have cruised to Alaska a number of times the first week of May. We never found a closed shop or a ship's tour that was not available (except Tracy Arm because of the ice). Our preferred time is the first two weeks.

The waters of Alaska are filled with whales and especially with new baby whales in May.

May is also one of the driest months in Alaska.

Edited by Crew News

In may Whales are just starting to arrive in Alaska for the summer feeding frenzy. Many excursions and stores aren't really ready for cruise season. Some excursions might not yet be running.

If your scheduled to go into the Glacier viewing areas. They might not be able to get close due to ice. The warmer the winter in Alaska the less likely access to glaciers id very good .

I've sailed the first week of May- where we had cold rain, 6 out of 7 days. :)

There are a few tours that are not running- Glacier Dog sledding and the White Pass Lake Bennett run as examples. Carcross also was "boarded up" which was a great stop with it, I drove though at least 15 minutes of white out, with 12 foot snow banks over the White Pass. This is ONE example, there is a wide range of reports.

You do NOT have the full migration of humpbacks, with this timeframe- actually be a bonus for a round trip Seattle, as you can have good sightings on those outside Vancouver Island sea days. I don't pay anything but significantly discounted rates, early May- plus I always have later trips the same season.

We took a round trip Seattle cruise to Alaska this year May 10th, and the weather was wonderful. We didn't have any rain and we even had some days in the high 60's. We went all the way up to the Yukon on a bus and saw lots of waterfalls and beautiful scenery. We also saw a lot of Orca whales from our balcony.

We took a round trip Seattle cruise to Alaska this year May 10th, and the weather was wonderful. We didn't have any rain and we even had some days in the high 60's. We went all the way up to the Yukon on a bus and saw lots of waterfalls and beautiful scenery. We also saw a lot of Orca whales from our balcony.

You were already 10 days into the month. Alaska can be in a rapid state of change in this time frame. I've seen huge differences on the snow banks at White Pass as example. This can also be huge in Sept- an example of last year- a whole range of foliage color, with my 3 week trip, 1/week Skagway visits. I've sailed successive weeks and the differences can be significant.

So would most people here then recommend a cruise that leaves even a week later? If May 5 the 10 day NCL cruise is too early what's the earliest we should do? 10th 15th 25th? We prefer to go in May due to time off. Weather also seems to be getting warmer earlier in recent years - is that about right? I mean that's no prediction for the future but is there a pattern? Just been to Yosemite in April and the snow was gone and tioga pass open 2 months earlier

Edited by dan801
More

Sure....the general feedback and input from others who have traveled in early May is helpful. However, the most important thing to note from these replies is that the weather is unpredictable and extremely changeable. I have been to Alaskan waters 4 times on non-cruise fishing expeditions and found the weather and conditions to be vastly different each time. Whatever date you plan, go with the understanding that you are NOT in control of the weather and your game plan MUST be centered around "adapt and adjust" to whatever conditions you encounter. The beauty and excitement of the area is the same in any condition. Just different.

So would most people here then recommend a cruise that leaves even a week later? If May 5 the 10 day NCL cruise is too early what's the earliest we should do? 10th 15th 25th? We prefer to go in May due to time off. Weather also seems to be getting warmer earlier in recent years - is that about right? I mean that's no prediction for the future but is there a pattern? Just been to Yosemite in April and the snow was gone and tioga pass open 2 months earlier

I do prefer mid May and later. But as noted- weather is something you just can not count on. BUT for me, I have cruised in May, every year for at least the last 10. :)

I would suggest you determine- before you book, your shore excursions, and make sure they are available, then book. :)

• 5 weeks later...

When it comes to Alaska you don't know.

My best sailing to Alaska was in April.

We were there three weeks before any other ship.

Had been there the August before where it rained almost everyday.

We had great weather in April.

Does that mean May of 2016 will be great. No, but weather is weather.

Here are a couple of photos from Glacier Bay in April.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AqQs3TEBbcw/T4hXuRKXz2I/AAAAAAAAQqA/XoAXQVQwILM/s1600/DSC_4194.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0UdF6OlPUIM/T4hXwxtIOwI/AAAAAAAAQqI/hjUyFoGaF1s/s1600/DSC_4195.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mTmVft3ZsvM/T4hXzUcluzI/AAAAAAAAQqQ/8lSPPiYBb0A/s1600/DSC_4196.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tlzUwFwKL8Q/T4hX1vim56I/AAAAAAAAQqY/0TZe241SSfY/s1600/DSC_4197.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-znUhqiLWDwI/T4hX3dKZ_bI/AAAAAAAAQqg/rK4XrLnAYa8/s1600/DSC_4198.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eJ_N-HHz2dI/T4idcb-8oHI/AAAAAAAAQrU/YJ-_LyrFd2Y/s1600/DSC_4203.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CwKfZ5pxEI8/T4idk07txMI/AAAAAAAAQrc/XH7ckvP-m-E/s1600/DSC_4215.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O0ERXiARuIk/T4idpomyZKI/AAAAAAAAQrk/L5chY97PBtg/s1600/DSC_4216.jpg

And one from August.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z8DHkxs2-Z4/TlFxj5yb3FI/AAAAAAAAKQw/t8nW6D3nh1M/s1600/DSC_0535.jpg

Rain, Sleet or Snow or Sunny or Rainy or Windy that is Alaska. It's nice to see it in different ways and what it will be like when someone sails there is anyones guess.

Keith

For what it's worth, the forecast is for another very mild (by Southeast Alaska standards) winter. May is still considered winter, and it can take a while to clear trails and roads for tourist activities of the summer. But if we don't get that much snow, things will ramp up early. If there's money to be made, the vendors will open. Yes, perhaps there's not as any whales, but you can go out and see the sea lion colony near Juneau, for example.

To me, the port time is so limited, compared to the activities (I think there's at least four days worth of tours and sights in Juneau, for example) that a bit of a limitation would be good. Just made sure the thing that you MUST do before you die will be available.

I've done two first-of-the-season Alaska cruises. We had good weather overall, but that means nothing. Weather is one of those things where past performance does not necessarily predict future behaviour ;)

If you like the itinerary and it is only available on May 5, IMHO go for it! :D

edited to add: I just found that itin on the NCL site. Wow! I really like it, and it gives you a good amount of time in each port. Now I'm interested :D

Edited by CowPrincess

We're also on the 5/5/16 cruise on NCL and cannot! The weather will be what the weather will be...we cannot control it so plan on going with the flow as much as possible and hoping our float plane trip will go off as scheduled.

We sailed on the Coral, left Vancouver 5-13-15. The weather was stunning - clear and beautiful. We may not ever get that lucky again, but for us - first time Alaskan cruisers, it was like hitting the jackpot.

Edited by MpwdMom

• 2 weeks later...
We sailed on the Coral, left Vancouver 5-13-15. The weather was stunning - clear and beautiful. We may not ever get that lucky again, but for us - first time Alaskan cruisers, it was like hitting the jackpot.

We were on the same cruise, our 4th to Alaska, and this one had the best weather by far. The 3 previous cruises also had great weather as well, but this one was the best. In fact, we booked for the same time next year!