Last min cruise possibly to Alaska need help???

RN7997

BudgetQueen: I may have the creek name incorrect, but I am hurt that you seem to insinuate I did not go on this Island Wings tour. We certainly did. I will quote from Island Wings brochure that I saved and put in my scrapbook. " Tours in Traitors Cove include a guided 1/2 mile walk on a trail through old growth rainforest to the observation deck built above a waterfall where salmon congregate". As far as the volunteers, they were definitely there: A nice couple staying nearby in a trailer for the season. I had a long talk with the wife and she is the one who told me about the permits.

As for the cruiseship tours to Traitors Cove, I was told by another passenger who went that the observation post was 'crowded'

Sorry you are taking offense, but your information is not accurate, and has points from both Anan and Traitor's? Would you want someone to get wrong information?

I apologize, but this board is LOADED with "recommendations" and "claims" about tours, from people, who haven't even gone on them. I see pieces of my posts in some. I don't find these too informative with just rehashing and occasionally making mistakes/wrong assumptions. It can be pretty clear to me, they have no first hand information.

My only point is for accurate information that can be useful for others, with trip planning.

I don't want folks to get incorrect information and appreciate you setting the record straight about the creek name. However, I think it could have been done in a less confrontational manner. I have followed cruisecritic and tripadvisor for years and NEVER post unless I have personal experience in the topic. As I always pay close attention to your CC comments because you are so well-informed, therefore your apology is accepted.

I highly recommend Dyea Dave for Skagway/Yukon tours. Does a great job with a White Pass RR combo.

Thank you I did go ahead and book with Dyea Dave. We booked the Emerald Lake tour. Sounds like it can make for a long day but I really want to see that lake:) I like that his tour will allow me to be flexible and book a one way pass on the train if the weather is not foggy that day. Looking forward to it. Thank you once again for your help.

@lynncarol sounds like a neat experience thank you for your suggestion. I will certainly look into it, but these ports are a killer with costs so I might have to consider that for a return trip. Much thanks and glad your family enjoyed.

I hope we will see bear on one of the tours we are doing this trip:)

You may be better off with the ship excursion for Tracy Arm. It is one way and rendezvous with the cruise ship. You don't have to back track as you do with a private tou. It is popular. It may already be full. You might want to check asap.

A great tour we took in the past and are taking again this time around is the Neets Bay Bear Watch. It leaves out of Ketchikan. Great if you like wildlife. Your teens might really enjoy.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

We're going to Alaska on X Sept 4,2015 from Seattle. I looked into the Allen Marine tour( thru the ship), however, our ship is tendered and you have to get back on the ship after the tour and then get off again for Juneau. Makes no sense to me. The tour was 200.00PP and the reviews were not great.

We're going to Alaska on X Sept 4,2015 from Seattle. I looked into the Allen Marine tour( thru the ship), however, our ship is tendered and you have to get back on the ship after the tour and then get off again for Juneau. Makes no sense to me. The tour was 200.00PP and the reviews were not great.

Not sure what you are reading, but Tracy Arm does NOT have the bulk of reviews "not great". It is a fantastic tour, with a superior transit compared to the cruise ship.

Yes it makes perfect sense. You need to be accounted for at every point you leave a cruise ship as well as every port/exit. You are carded in/out at Tracy Arm, then again, if you go off the ship in Juneau. They want to know where you are. If you missing they need to know from where.

Edited by Budget Queen

Not sure what you are reading, but Tracy Arm does NOT have the bulk of reviews "not great". It is a fantastic tour, with a superior transit compared to the cruise ship.

Yes it makes perfect sense. You need to be accounted for at every point you leave a cruise ship as well as every port/exit. You are carded in/out at Tracy Arm, then again, if you go off the ship in Juneau. They want to know where you are. If you missing they need to know from where.

The reviews I read( 3 of them) were on the excursion page. People said " boat is crowded", no snacks, etc. Those were the reviews that I read.

The reviews I read( 3 of them) were on the excursion page. People said " boat is crowded", no snacks, etc. Those were the reviews that I read.

There is enough seating for everyone on the boats. There is a lot of outdoor space. Snacks?? That is important, and warrants a negative review you are basing your choice on? They do pass around a salmon sample. If you need snacks, you can bring your own.

The reason to consider this tour is for the scenery and transit. In a small boat, you can get much closer to shore lines. Have far more success in spotting wildlife. and being on the water is superior to being 5+ stories up. It certainly is not a good choice for everyone. But anyone who wants superior scenery and the ability to see more wildlife- this tour would be an excellent choice.

There is enough seating for everyone on the boats. There is a lot of outdoor space. Snacks?? That is important, and warrants a negative review you are basing your choice on? They do pass around a salmon sample. If you need snacks, you can bring your own.

The reason to consider this tour is for the scenery and transit. In a small boat, you can get much closer to shore lines. Have far more success in spotting wildlife. and being on the water is superior to being 5+ stories up. It certainly is not a good choice for everyone. But anyone who wants superior scenery and the ability to see more wildlife- this tour would be an excellent choice.

I understand people who pay 200.00PP think they should get a bottle of water. I agree with that. Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just TELLING YOU the REVIEWS I read. It wasnt my opinion. I decided paying 400+ dollars was not worth it for me. Yes, I based my opinion on the few reviews that I read. If the 3 reviews were "glowing", I might have decided to pay the $$, instead I decided to go whale watching.

Is it possible that you're looking at a different excursion? I'm looking at the Excursion page under "Juneau Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran" ,The overall ratimg is 5 out of 5. There are 6 reviews all very positive. We just did this tour last Monday. We're home now (sob), It was great, maybe a little long. Comfortable inside seating, a snack bar with some souvenirs, great narrative from friendly staff. We saw two glaciers calving, whales, a seal on an ice floe, eagles, waterfalls and lots of beautiful scenery.

Is it possible that you're looking at a different excursion? I'm looking at the Excursion page under "Juneau Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran" ,The overall ratimg is 5 out of 5. There are 6 reviews all very positive. We just did this tour last Monday. We're home now (sob), It was great, maybe a little long. Comfortable inside seating, a snack bar with some souvenirs, great narrative from friendly staff. We saw two glaciers calving, whales, a seal on an ice floe, eagles, waterfalls and lots of beautiful scenery.

This is the one I looked at, under my excursions available to me on my cruise on Sept 4th.

Tracy Arm Fjord And Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Solstice

The poster has chosen whale watching, certainly a great choice. They appear, not receptive to anything, other than the "negative" reviews they have read. Which "works" for them.