Duke's

PhilNDebbieAtSea

Here's a review from someone on Trip Advisor that pretty much sums up our personal feelings - but to each his own. This will be YOUR vacation.

Quote:

"I had high expectations for this place as it was highly recommended by a friend. I have to say that I was a pretty disappointed. The positives: The fish is as fresh as it can get. The view is amazing. They have free valet parking. However, considering the high price you will pay, the preparation of this beautiful fish is very unimaginative. The ambiance of the restaurant made me think of Disney...like they were trying WAY to hard to make sure you remember you are in Hawaii. Seriously, it's over the top. Just really felt like a tourist trap. We ate at a number of equally expensive restaurants while in Maui which felt were more sophisticated and had amazing food. This is the only one I'll skip on our next visit to Maui. If you must go, be sure to get a reservation WAY in advance". Visited July 2015. Rated 3 of 5 stars.

Hmmmm...okay, something to think about. Thanks!!

Hmmmm...okay, something to think about. Thanks!!

We're not so sure we did good by offering an opinion on Mama's Fish House. It is just so darned expensive for what it is/isn't. We just prefer seeking out interesting places that are a bit less touristy, and (here, at least) ambiance and great meals aren't always synonymous.

We're not so sure we did good by offering an opinion on Mama's Fish House. It is just so darned expensive for what it is/isn't. We just prefer seeking out interesting places that are a bit less touristy, and (here, at least) ambiance and great meals aren't always synonymous.

Silver Sweethearts, I think you are the one who gave me the excellent advice on Haleakala before our 2014 Hawaii cruise. You were spot on and thank you! But I have to disagree on Mama's. Have been there twice, love it, and I have lot's of company. Open Table ranks Mama's in their 2014 list of Top 100 Best Restaurants in America. Trip Advisor has Mama's on their Traveler's Choice Fine Dining U.S. List as number 13 out of 25. I did not see Duke's listed on either.

Service at Mama's was more what you would expect at a fine dining restaurant. The server at Mama's was completely professional. He gave my husband a lei to present to me (anniversary) and dessert and, I think, a drink were gratis. Duke's on the other hand was pretty much what you get at any chain restaurant in regard to service and food. Duke's was hot, crowded and noisy. But I did enjoy looking at the Duke memorabilia which I found facinating. Mama's on the other hand was cool and quiet, with a Hawaiian atmosphere yet none of the fake Tiki Bar touches. The food was excellent. It is pricey, yes. Not the sort of place you would go to often, probably. But an excellent choice for a special occasion or as a vacation celebration.

Edited by punkincc

If you are in the neighborhood of Mama's for lunch go into Paia and eat at the Paia Fish Market. Yeah it is rustic, you share picnic style tables. But they do an amazing job with fish (I like an opah sauteed with wine and garlic) at a fraction of what Mama's cost. Afterwards you can wander the shops of Paia. :)

We spend a month on Maui every 2 years. The first time we went to Mama's Fish House we fully expected it NOT to live up to the hype. We went with a "come on, impress me" attitude. There were 4 of us and we all felt the same. We went for lunch and I have to say that we were blown away! We LOVED the entire experience. The views are among my favorite in all of Maui and Maui is my favorite island. Maui no ka oi!! The colors, the wind and kite surfers, the palm trees out front swaying, the amazing and artistic hodge podge of building materials that make up this amazing place, the service, etc., etc.

The menu will tell you the name of the fisherman that caught your entree and where they caught it. The fish is sublimely fresh. I adore their poke and sashimi. Their drinks are very good. This is a very expensive restaurant. And lunch is no more than a couple of dollars/entree cheaper at most. For us, we feel the overall experience is one of a kind and truly outstanding. We go at least twice each trip.

Entrees are going to average from around $50 to $60 each. I find the meals beautifully prepared. And I feel the chef does show imagination. What we appreciate is that the preparations elevate the freshness of the seafood, not overwhelm it. Some of the preparations are a bit simple but IMHO top quality foods do not need over embellishment. Let the food be the star. JMHO.

We generally get together with friends both local and visiting at Duke's Ka'anapali while there. We like it but I think the views are far better at Hula Grill or Leilani's. Duke's has a very nice view but the berms at the beach edge obscure part of the view.

I agree that the Paia Fish Market is awesome! One of our faves but you will have NO view at all. It is a super casual, stand in line and find a seat kind of place. As said you will share a picnic style table with others. Finding a seat at a busy time can be a challenge.

Bottom line? It's just darned hard to go wrong while in Hawaii. The food is gorgeous, the fish beyond fresh. The music, the people, hula, those incredible huge mountains, soft sweet breezes and the ocean. Ah, the ocean! What an amazing place! :)

Thanks, southerngirl, for expressing exactly what it is I love about Mama's much better than I ever could! You have me reconsidering our plans for next March in Maui!:p

We were considering a return to Lahaina. It's been years since we were there, and we were reading some good things about Fleetwood's on Front Street ( of Fleetwood Mac fame ). Since we have already gone off track from the topic of Duke's to Mama's, could I swerve a bit farther and ask if anyone has tried this place?

Astroflyer, you are absolutely correct! Everything is pretty subjective and certainly on the topic of restaurants! LOL! And anytime I do mention Mama's Fish House I try to be very, very clear that it is a really pricey place. I would hate for someone to go there not having a realistic idea.

Fleetwood's. punkincc? While I have not yet eaten there myself (we meant to this last February but never made it), I have friends that spend a few weeks on Maui every year and have for many years, they really like Fleetwood's. They get good reviews on TA. One thing to note while staying on Maui, if they flag is flying above Fleetwood's my understanding is that Mick (rats, did I get his first name right???) is in the house! :)

Taste & ambience are subjective and they are all opinions. ;)

Cost is another factor which will determine what is the best affordable option for each of us. :)

True, Astro, and if cost on a trip to Hawaii were the prime consideration, we would all be eating at McDonalds vs any number of other experiences such as Dukes or House Without a Key that create those Hawaii moments we remember. For us, a major anniversary calls for more than a dinner at a picnic table with no view, just to save some money, especially in Hawaii.

I have found that on vacation it 'sometimes' pays to save in one area so that you can go for the primo experience in another. Since we spent zero dollars on tours in Maui by using an inexpensive rental car, I had money to spend on a special dinner that other's might use to buy an expensive tour. But I get your point:).

Fleetwood's. punkincc? While I have not yet eaten there myself (we meant to this last February but never made it), I have friends that spend a few weeks on Maui every year and have for many years, they really like Fleetwood's. They get good reviews on TA. One thing to note while staying on Maui, if they flag is flying above Fleetwood's my understanding is that Mick (rats, did I get his first name right???) is in the house! :)

Wow, really good to know!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly agree as to the special occasion meals. And just to be clear though DH and I definitely enjoy indulging in some fabulous meals while in Hawaii, much of what we love and long for from here on the mainland is far more reasonable fare. Like great poke from either the Lahaina Farms Foodland or Tamura's. Or the AMAZING Hot and Sour soup at Star Noodle. Or a wonderful breakfast at the Gazebo or Sea House. Delicious shave ice at Ululani's. A lunch special at Roy's. Coconut shrimp ordered from the pool servers while sitting in our casabella at our TS at Maui Ocean Club. *sigh* Those are just a few of the things we love about food in Hawaii.

Last trip Costco had some great discounted gift cards to a couple of our favorite restaurants and we scooped several of those up! Yay!!

Certainly agree as to the special occasion meals. And just to be clear though DH and I definitely enjoy indulging in some fabulous meals while in Hawaii, much of what we love and long for from here on the mainland is far more reasonable fare. Like great poke from either the Lahaina Farms Foodland or Tamura's. Or the AMAZING Hot and Sour soup at Star Noodle. Or a wonderful breakfast at the Gazebo or Sea House. Delicious shave ice at Ululani's. A lunch special at Roy's. Coconut shrimp ordered from the pool servers while sitting in our casabella at our TS at Maui Ocean Club. *sigh* Those are just a few of the things we love about food in Hawaii.

Last trip Costco had some great discounted gift cards to a couple of our favorite restaurants and we scooped several of those up! Yay!!

How do you get the restaurant gift cards at Costco? Travel Dept? And which island is the Gazebo and Sea House? Roy's in Waikikii?

I agree it's possible to find some great spots for meals in Hawaii without the high prices. $30 pp for a so so buffet breakfast is a little much.:rolleyes:. Our favorite restaurant on Oahu is Lei Lei's on the golf course at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore. Double cut pork loin chops, slow roasted, then grilled and served with Rum Cherry Glaze. Served two to the plate and enough for 3 people. Even DH could not finish his meal. We came back a second time and just asked to split the entree and we still both had a huge serving. Delicious food served on the patio at sunset and a price of about $15 pp: Priceless!

Aloha again punkincc!

Every Costco I've ever visited has a good sized gift card section. I often check costco.com to see what gift cards they might have that my local store does not. And when in Hawaii I have found they will have at least a couple of gift cards from local places I have not seen online. When we are on island I pop in and take a look to see.

The Roy's I mentioned is the one on the Ka'anapali golf course on Maui. It's a short walk from our TS on Maui and we LOVE it. Great staff, great food and drink and some good prices at lunch. The Gazebo and Sea House are both on Maui. Sea House is on Napili Bay ( so it has truly gorgeous views!) at the Napili Kai resort in Napili (north of the Lahaina and Ka'anapali area) and the Gazebo is pretty close, just a bit more north as I recall. Can't recall off the top of my head what little resort it is in. The Gazebo is very popular and has amazing view toward Moloka'i and it is TINY. So you have to be there very early and line up if you don't want a huge wait. Portions are ginormous! Especially if you get a full order of the breakfast fried rice. DH got the full order despite my warning him I had heard on TA it is HUGE. It was laughably huge!! So huge he pigged out and still had enough leftover that he literally had it for breakfast at the condo for the next 3 days!!! :eek:

And WOW. Lei Lei's pork chops sound insane!!! We drove by Turtle Bay on our North Shore driving tour. What a beautiful area!!