Wondering about tipping in the envelopes at end of cruise

LilaC123

My DH and I will be taking a Western Med cruise in 8 days. We will be on the HAL, Nieuw Amsterdam.

We are from Canada (Canadian colourful dollars!), so we will be "buying" Euros from our bank to bring along for shopping while on shore. Should we also bring US dollars to put in the tip envelopes for the end of the cruise, or does the tip come from a credit card?

What is normally expected in the envelopes, Euros, US Currency or have it all put on a credit card?

Thanks, and we are very much looking forward to our cruise!!!!

My DH and I will be taking a Western Med cruise in 8 days. We will be on the HAL, Nieuw Amsterdam.

We are from Canada (Canadian colourful dollars!), so we will be "buying" Euros from our bank to bring along for shopping while on shore. Should we also bring US dollars to put in the tip envelopes for the end of the cruise, or does the tip come from a credit card?

What is normally expected in the envelopes, Euros, US Currency or have it all put on a credit card?

Welcome to Cruise Critic LilaC123. If you're cruise is in Europe and you'll have euros it's best to tip with them.

I like to actually give our room steward his or her tip in person, this way I know they received it. Often the cabin door is open on debark day and I want to make sure the tip ended up with the right person.

I also tip our head and assistant waiters typically on the final dinner in the main dining room. Cash is always the best way to go when giving tips.

In addition it's always a good idea to have some smaller bills for tipping room service waiters. We often have breakfast delivered on the occasion we have a very early excursion which is often the case on European itineraries.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

On Maasdam in Canada they did not provide any envelopes, so I think they won't have them on other NCL ships. Don't mess with cash, leave it on your credit card, your room steward and MDR waiters will know. If you want to tip additional, you may bring your own envelopes, or just give cash in any currency.

"I like to actually give our room steward his or her tip in person, this way I know they received it." - but not allowed to keep it. They must turn in the amount that is "suggested" on the cruise line's website to share with other employees, only if they get more than that, they will keep.

Envelopes are mostly a thing of the past. If you look under FAQ on Holland America site, they explain that the gratuity will be automatically charged to your account:

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms. (The charges are subject to change without notice)

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases.

So you can tip for room service or tip your steward extra (in whatever currency you want) - but you DON'T have to. It will be automatically charged to your shipboard account, to be settled at the end of the cruise. If you are using a credit card to settle your shipboard account, do not allow the ship to do the currency conversion (their exchange rate is horrible) - check the box to bill you in US$ and let your credit card convert it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL has the Hotel Service Charge which means that each day you are automatically charged onto your shipboard account either $11.50 or $12 per person per day. This charge covers what people call "tips" for your cabin stewards, dining room staff, and all the people behind the scenes like the kitchen staff, crew that clean the pools, etc.

You will also be charged 15% gratuity each time you order a drink, buy bottled water, special coffees/teas in the Exploration Café, sodas, etc.

If you wish to tip more to any one at the end of the cruise, you can ask for envelopes at the front desk. We just use a hand shake to pass on extra tips.

Envelopes are mostly a thing of the past...

Not for those who tip extra beyond the hotel service charges. I find envelopes a convenient way to track who I want to tip and the amount can be discretely varied according to the level of service. For example on one voyage I had a team of three dining room waiters. One was there for almost every meal. He got more than the other two. I use the shipboard currency.

I use envelopes to tip those I want to give something extra to beyond the automatic gratuity on my shipboard account. I either bring my own or get them from the front desk. I would say it would be easier for the staff if you tip in the currency used onboard, which is US dollars.

Roz

Welcome to CC and congrats on your cruise. The NA is our favourite HAL ship and I am confident that you will have a wonderful cruise.

Tips on board are generally taken care of by your Hotel Service Charge (HSC). The HSC will be charged to your onboard account every day, and you can pay it at the end of your cruise using whatever credit card you registered when you boarded. The currency onboard is US dollars, so your card will be charged in US funds.

There is no need to pay additional tips. Paying what HAL recommends will be fine. If you decide that you want to pay extra, you can increase the daily HSC and just pay it with your credit card. Another option is to provide cash directly to those whom you wish. I wouldn't bother buying US dollars for this use only. Just use the Euros that you have - it will be gratefully accepted.

Most cruise lines now use the auto tip method no need for the envelopes

We leave the auto tip in place & if we want to tip extra I usually take some small envelopes with me & give the room steward something at the end of the cruise with a note of thanks

Most cruise lines even if you give the crew envelopes if you have removed the auto tip the crew have to turn in the cash to the tipping pool so you have defeated the purpose in giving to those you want to have the money

I will sometime leave the crew any left over foreign coins they can use it ashore & I do not have to carry it home ;)

Thank you for all the replies; I will not go to the bank and "buy" American Dollars, I will just leave it on my credit card that HAL has on file.

Our last cruise was about 20 years ago, so I imagine this cruise will be very different. My husband and I are very much looking forward to this holiday and I will report back on cruise critic when we return to Canada.

If I have any other questions, I will be sure to post!

Thank again.

Not for those who tip extra beyond the hotel service charges. I find envelopes a convenient way to track who I want to tip and the amount can be discretely varied according to the level of service. For example on one voyage I had a team of three dining room waiters. One was there for almost every meal. He got more than the other two. I use the shipboard currency.

Yes, you can still use envelopes. But the poster was correct - the cruise line no longer leaves envelopes in your room for tipping. That is indeed in the past. However, you can usually get envelopes at the customer service desk on a request basis.

Thank you for all the replies; I will not go to the bank and "buy" American Dollars, I will just leave it on my credit card that HAL has on file.

Do bring some cash to give to those you may feel gave better than expected service. This would be above the automatic amounts charged to your account. We have rarely been on a cruise where no one has earned that extra tip amount. Any amount over the automatic amounts can be kept by the person you gave it to.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I do remember on our last cruise so many years ago, that we tipped certain staff that provided service above and beyond what we thought the norm... I am glad to know that they probably got to keep that money for themselves instead of handing it over to the tip pool.

And, we do not drink alcohol, so I suppose that will save us 15% on the booze bill which can then go instead to the other staff members that made our cruise so enjoyable, I am sure we will have an enjoyable time!!!!

And, we do not drink alcohol, so I suppose that will save us 15% on the booze bill which can then go instead to the other staff members that made our cruise so enjoyable, I am sure we will have an enjoyable time!!!!

:confused: The 15% is only added to the price of your lounge beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). That has nothing to do with the HSC and completely separate. There is nothing that will "go instead to the other staff members that made our cruise so enjoyable".

:confused: The 15% is only added to the price of your lounge beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). That has nothing to do with the HSC and completely separate. There is nothing that will "go instead to the other staff members that made our cruise so enjoyable".

I think she meant if she doesn't pay $1 for a drink then that same $1 can go to tipping extra. Just taking from Peter to pay Paul kind of thing.

I think she meant if she doesn't pay $1 for a drink then that same $1 can go to tipping extra. Just taking from Peter to pay Paul kind of thing.

IF that is the case, just think of how much extra she can tip by not buying jewelry, watches, spa treatments, photographs.... the crew will raking in the extra tips from what she isn't spending on those things. Really, have NO idea what she meant. ;)

IF that is the case, just think of how much extra she can tip by not buying jewelry, watches, spa treatments, photographs.... the crew will raking in the extra tips from what she isn't spending on those things. Really, have NO idea what she meant. ;)

And yet you find the need to blow her simple statement totally out of proportion :rolleyes:

Edited by notentirelynormal

What I meant was - We won't be paying 15% gratuities on alcohol - because we don't drink.... so that 15% can INSTEAD go to other staff that make our cruise comfortable such as in our room, in the dining room, the spa.... where ever else we choose to spend our time on the ship.

I'm glad to know that any money we personally give to a staff member stays in their pocket and does not go into the tip pool for the whole ship.

About spending money elsewhere, buying gold and stuff??? Do I have to tip the salesperson who sells me jewellry on the ship?

About spending money elsewhere, buying gold and stuff??? Do I have to tip the salesperson who sells me jewellry on the ship?

You don't have to tip anyone. I don't think that most people tip the shop attendants, but I am sure that if you offer, they will willingly accept. BTW: The NA has some really impressive gold and diamonds on board. I was quite surprised.

I do remember on our last cruise so many years ago, that we tipped certain staff that provided service above and beyond what we thought the norm... I am glad to know that they probably got to keep that money for themselves instead of handing it over to the tip pool.

What a nice idea! I like the way you think! Lots of people are saying you don't have to tip anything additional over the service charge and they are absolutely right. You don't HAVE to. But it is such a nice thing to do, to make such a positive difference in someone's day/life. We figure that it is a given for us to hand out tips to several members of the crew who try to make sure we have a great vacation. We definitely don't have to. But it makes US happy, too! :)

What a nice idea! I like the way you think! Lots of people are saying you don't have to tip anything additional over the service charge and they are absolutely right. You don't HAVE to. But it is such a nice thing to do, to make such a positive difference in someone's day/life. We figure that it is a given for us to hand out tips to several members of the crew who try to make sure we have a great vacation. We definitely don't have to. But it makes US happy, too! :)

I fully agree. That we can afford to cruise while they must work these jobs, means we probably have a better financial situation than they do. We almost always tip extra - just because we can. Those extra few dollars helps them much more than it would help us by keeping it to ourselves. There is absolutely nothing negative about being generous.

Edited by SantaFeFan