Booking and repricing with NCL

Hi, newbie cruiser booking an Alaskan cruise with NCL for the first time. If someone could help with some booking questions, I would be very grateful!

1. If you book a room and the price drops, can you get a price adjustment on the same exact room, or might they move you to a different but similar room? Also, do you keep your promotion even if the promotion isn't being offered anymore?

2. If you are booking multiple rooms with AARP discount, does someone in each room need to join AARP or can we do it all under the same membership?

3. Can the insurance be added at any time? For example, make the reservation and add the insurance later? Does the insurance rate go up if you wait? Is it better to get insurance from an outside company or my credit card?

Thanks again!!!

Hi, newbie cruiser booking an Alaskan cruise with NCL for the first time. If someone could help with some booking questions, I would be very grateful!

1. If you book a room and the price drops, can you get a price adjustment on the same exact room, or might they move you to a different but similar room? Also, do you keep your promotion even if the promotion isn't being offered anymore?

You might get an offer for OBC, you might get to upgrade or you might not get anything at all. If you have to cancel and rebook to get the better rate, then you will most likely lose whatever promotion you had with the first booking.

2. If you are booking multiple rooms with AARP discount, does someone in each room need to join AARP or can we do it all under the same membership?

Not sure, if the member is paying for all the rooms, it would seem likely the discount would be applied to the entire booking. I am not sure what NCL's position is on this though.

3. Can the insurance be added at any time? For example, make the reservation and add the insurance later? Does the insurance rate go up if you wait? Is it better to get insurance from an outside company or my credit card?

Third party insurance is better because what the cruise ship offers only covers the cruise portion, if you are flying into a port you won't be covered for your flight. Go to InsureMyTrip.com and you can compare policies. ALSO you can purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance there as well. IF someone has a pre-exsisting medical condition you have to purchase within 24 hours of booking.

Thanks again!!!

See responses above

And, if you are before final payment due date, if the price drops, you can just call and get the new price. However, as mentioned, if promotions went with the room originally and are no longer offered at this time with the new lower price, you may very well lose the promotions. So, you do need to do the math each time first to see what is the better deal. However, you can also at least call and check to see what the situation would be before committing.

We use travel insurance available through our TA, with whom we always book. Insurance companies frequently require purchasing before final payment in order to avoid customers suddenly finding they can't go, committed to the cruise purchase, then trying to last minute buy insurance knowing at that time they are then going to file for it. Some companies will sell last minute insurance, but at much higher rates.

Thank you all! That was super helpful.

I found out about AARP: To get the discount, someone in the room needs a membership. Since AARP offers a free spouse membership we were able to get a discount on both rooms (DH and I are officially in different rooms, one with each kid) but only pay for AARP once.

I had this exact situation with my Med cruise on the Epic for next May. The price dropped on my studio cabin and they were offering a choice of free soda package, some internet time and a couple other choices (I picked the soda package). I just called NCL and they did their magic and I got the new rate with my same cabin. (The actually just cancelled my cruise and rebooked it with the new rate). took about 2-3 minutes of me on hold while she did this. I think I ended up saving about $150 plus the soda package when it was all said and done if I remember correctly.