NCL Dawn ship tour. Anyone?

Supercharged86

Hi Everyone, My wife and I just turned platinum, which includes the behind the scenes ship tour. Now I wouldn't waste the $79 pp for it but since it's free now, I think I would like to do it. It's suppose to take place on one of the two "at sea" days coming back, so I was told. Has anyone done this tour, is it worth it? Thanks in advance. Steve

To me the tour is very much worth it. However, the tour takes about 2 hours, you must wear closed toed shoes- no sandals or flip flops and you must be able to climb and descend metal open staircases. You get a chance to see on the the kitchens, the laundry area, some of the environmental areas, usually backstage of the theater and sometimes the Bridge. The Bridge portion depends on whether or not the Captain will allow it. Some will and some will not.

We got just a bridge tour on the Sky a few years ago. We'd booked the captain's dinner, but not enough people did, so they cancelled and our concierge offered us a free tour to make up for the inconvenience. It was fun, and we learned a lot about how the ship runs. I might even shell out for the full ship tour if I end up on a longer cruise with some free time before I go platinum. We'll see.

Thank you. I guess I'll have to buy the Captain a couple of drinks first. The bridge is the part I want to see the most. Cheers.

Sorry NONE of the Senior Officers are allowed to drink alcoholic beverages during their contacts on board ship.

We really enjoyed the ships tour on both the Dawn and the Getaway. Interesting to see the differences between the two ship. Strangely, the Laundry area was the most fascinating.

Thank you. They say the laundry room(s) is the size of an average home.

I just turned platinum so my upcoming cruise I'll be able to do this and have a few questions since you brought this up....:D

How do you get the tour? Is there some place you have to go to sign up? Do they send something to your room to let you know about it and you just show up? Do you go to customer service?

I am platinum and the hubby doesn't turn platinum (needs 2 more points :p) until this cruise. Will he be able to go with me or is it a 1 person deal (instead of like the 2 person dinner they offer to platinums). :confused:

I thought I had read before that they will not allow you to take pictures during this tour? Is this correct?

The Platinum tour is nowadays very different from the paid tour - people that have been on the new, cut down tour but who haven't been on the real tour have said that they wouldn't pay that much for the tour they got.

Before the change we got the real tour for free and TBH, new tour really can be dissappointing if one already has basic knowledge about the inner workings of the ship - it is not nearly as comprehensive (usually no staff telling about their specific departments etc) as the paid one.

Mitsugirly: You will have instructions in your Platinum envelope waiting for you in your cabin, the invitation is personal and non-transferrable so no guests allowed. The tour is very often at the same time as CC meet and greet is.

Taking photographs is allowed - if you get to the bridge, there can be some restrictions (especially shooting video is forbidden).

Edited by Demonyte

.... The tour is very often at the same time as CC meet and greet is.....

CC meaning Cruise Critic I assume? I can't say I've ever seen this advertised before or am I just missing it completely? Or are the arrangements being made here prior to sailing and because I'm new here, is the reason I haven't seen them? Steve

CC meaning Cruise Critic I assume? I can't say I've ever seen this advertised before or am I just missing it completely? Or are the arrangements being made here prior to sailing and because I'm new here, is the reason I haven't seen them? Steve

If it is arranged, it is done by a volunteer (the time is assigned by the ship's group event coordinator) on the specific cruise's Roll Call (there is a separate subforum here for those, look at the top part of this page, the link says "Find Your Norwegian Roll Call").

Edited by Demonyte

If it is arranged, it is done by a volunteer (the time is assigned by the ship's group event coordinator) on the specific cruise's Roll Call (there is a separate subforum here for those, look at the top part of this page, the link says "Find Your Norwegian Roll Call").

Ok, great. I'm on the roll call for my upcoming trip. So if arrangements are made I guess I'll see them there. Thanks.

@supercharged....

If you are most interested in seeing the bridge, be sure to attend the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet... Twice now our group has been told by the Captain at the M&G we are all invited to a tour of the bridge. There is a sign-up if you are interested and you are notified of the time/date later in the cruise by a letter delivered to your cabin. fyi.... it is held during a "sea day".

Have an AWESOME time....

Amy

be sure to attend the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet... Twice now our group has been told by the Captain at the M&G we are all invited to a tour of the bridge.

That has been discussed here very recently and the consensus is that nowadays getting a bridge tour is quite uncommon and it always depends on the captain on duty. We have been invited to a bridge tour only once, on Star in 2012.