1st Time Sailing from Barcelona - A couple of ?s

custompcsys

The wife and I are doing the repo cruise on the Emerald Oct 3 from Barcelona. This is our first transatlantic and our first time embarking from Barcelona, so I had a couple of questions.

• What's the weather like in Barcelona this time of year? Not 100% sure what to expect and therefore what to pack :)

Have read on the ports of call board that taxi is the easiest way to get from the hotel to the port, and also the most reasonable cost other than public transportation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Barcelona has staggered boarding but we are platinum and have preferred boarding. Do we have to adhere to the boarding times for our deck with preferred boarding? We much prefer to get on early, have lunch on board and relax if its possible.

Lastly, this is our first transatlantic. Any tips we should be aware of that differ from "standard" cruises?

Thanks all! :)

The weather in Barcelona in early October is pleasantly warm. We have always used a taxi to get from the hotel to the ship. We stayed near Las Ramblas and the cost wasn't excessive. Sorry , I don't remember. But if it was outrageous , I would definitely remember.

We have done 6 transatlantics in both directions. We love sea days. Very relaxing. There are many things to do on the ship. Trivia is our favorite. We love the game shows and other entertainment. We were on the Emerald in April '15 20 days from Houston to Barcelona. Had a great time.

If you're going to be in Barcelona a day or two before the cruise, the hop on hop off bus is a great way to get a taste of all areas of this beautiful city. the HOHO has three routes. One fare gets you all three. There are also free walking tours. Google for more info.

Finally!!!Be careful of your belongings. Barcelona is heaven for pickpockets.

We're boarding in Rome and will be sailing with you on this cruise...

Taxi really is the best mode of transportation to the ship. We usually check out of our hotel and store our luggage there until be head to the ship. Barcelona is such a beautiful city with so much to see and do...no need to board earlier than necessary.

See you onboard...

Lew

If you drink wine, good wine is available at the corte de ingles at the main

plaza at the top end of las rambles. It is located in the bottom level of this

huge department store. Also recommend that you had reading material for

the seven 25 hour days of your crossing. We find this is where we get caught up on reading and nothing beats sitting on the balcony, or deck reading.

If you are a card player there are sometimes groups that play together. In all your t/a will be most relaxing after visiting some wonderful ports.

Where is your hotel? In the past we used taxis. This time our hotel (fourth time boarding in Barcelona) was chosen to be within an easy walk of the Columbus monument, so we checked out of the hotel, walked to the bus stop near the monument, and took the "blue bus" to port. It was simple and inexpensive because we were so close to the bus stop.

We find fall in Barcelona to be pleasant. If you live in Florida, you might find it a bit cool. Then again, you should be packing layers and jackets for your fall crossing; you are apt to encounter cool winds on the Atlantic. We have done multiple crossings, and only rarely does one get uniformly warm weather (even by our Wisconsin standards, much less by Florida standards).

We also had perferred boarding on our recent cruise. They called those with perferred boarding,and we got on to begin enjoying the ship. No floors were called before perferred.

There are plenty of shops selling wine in Las Ramblas, so buy your boarding wine on Thursday evening if you wish. Also, most Barcelona terminals have duty free shops after security, so some people buy wine in the terminal to carry on board.

We are staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar......a bit out of the way I know but I was able to get the room free for 2 nights with my HHonors points, so I am not arguing :)

Very nice hotel, we have stayed there twice. The HOHO bus picks up right by the hotel, and there is a nice mall across the street from the hotel. Good choice!

Edited by vantec
repeated "mall"

Very nice hotel, we have stayed there twice. The HOHO bus picks up right by the hotel, and there is a nice mall across the street from the hotel. Good choice!

Great to hear thanks for the info! Another reason it worked for us is that Sixt rental car has an office in the lobby so we can drop the rental car we use to get there from Madrid right at the hotel.

Great to hear thanks for the info! Another reason it worked for us is that Sixt rental car has an office in the lobby so we can drop the rental car we use to get there from Madrid right at the hotel.

Also a nice walk to the water!

Hi There,

Barcelona is a major cruise embarkation port, taxi is the easy way to get dropped off in the right location, porters will come up to taxi and take baggage for you.

We are also on this cruise, on TAs folks tend to do more ship board things so some events fill up fast.

Life onboard is more relaxed easy to lose track of time, with lots of sea days back to back you do not have the routine of a port day to plan you day around.

See you onboard

yours Shogun

Hi There,

Barcelona is a major cruise embarkation port, taxi is the easy way to get dropped off in the right location, porters will come up to taxi and take baggage for you.

We are also on this cruise, on TAs folks tend to do more ship board things so some events fill up fast.

Life onboard is more relaxed easy to lose track of time, with lots of sea days back to back you do not have the routine of a port day to plan you day around.

See you onboard

yours Shogun

Thanks Shogun....after reading your posts all these years it would be nice to be able to get together and bend and elbow at the bar :)

The wife and I are doing the repo cruise on the Emerald Oct 3 from Barcelona. This is our first transatlantic and our first time embarking from Barcelona, so I had a couple of questions.

• What's the weather like in Barcelona this time of year? Not 100% sure what to expect and therefore what to pack :)

Have read on the ports of call board that taxi is the easiest way to get from the hotel to the port, and also the most reasonable cost other than public transportation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Barcelona has staggered boarding but we are platinum and have preferred boarding. Do we have to adhere to the boarding times for our deck with preferred boarding? We much prefer to get on early, have lunch on board and relax if its possible.

Lastly, this is our first transatlantic. Any tips we should be aware of that differ from "standard" cruises?

We used a taxi to get to our hotel from the port last year, which worked out great.

I always ignore the staggered boarding ;)

Enjoy your cruise! We are on the Rome to Barcelona in a month, cant wait!

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar a week on points. Ask to be upgraded to executive floor with executive lounge access. Excellent amenities and service in the lounge. We used the train to get into town, but this might be inconvenient with luggage. Taxi better.

We were just in Barcelona in June after our cruise. We took a taxi to our AirBnb flat from the ship, and after we saw how reasonable taxis were there, we decided to do a taxi rather than mess with bus or subway when it was too far to walk or too hot. There were 4 of us and we think taxi was actually cheaper (or very close to the same) than 4 metro tickets.

On my boarding pass it says check in is from 1pm to 5pm, is that for everyone, or will I be given a more exact time closer to sailing (which is only a week away)?

Edited by kc20202

On my boarding pass it says check in is from 1pm to 5pm, is that for everyone, or will I be given a more exact time closer to sailing (which is only a week away)?

If its a staggered boarding it will be mentioned in the messages for your cruise on your confirmation or cruise personalizer, along with boarding times for each deck. Otherwise the boarding times are for everyone

If its a staggered boarding it will be mentioned in the messages for your cruise on your confirmation or cruise personalizer, along with boarding times for each deck. Otherwise the boarding times are for everyone

• Just check google...I am sure it will be warm. We have done the Med at the end of September, beginning of October, and I was wearing shorts the whole time.

• I would second the taxi. We always stay at the Hilton Diagonal Mar in Barcelona, and it is a quick and cheap taxi ride to the port.

• Arrive a day before if you can...because you don't know what delays you will encounter. Once you arrive in Barcelona, DO NOT SLEEP (don't even take a nap) until it is dark outside. If you catnap even for a little because you are tired, it will take you longer to adjust to the jetlag. If you force yourself to stay up until it is dark, and then sleep all the way through the night, you will adjust better.
  • WHen in Barcelona, make sure you go see La Segrada Familia....it is simply spectacular. Barcelona has a really good hop on hop off system that will take you all over the city.
  • The excursions...if you choose to take them...will be long and intensive for the most part
  • Europe is expensive.....make sure that you have some sort of app on your phone to do currency conversion.....example...if you give a 10 pound tip in London.....it's like $25 US......where as a $100 tip in Denmark, it is only $15US
  • Be aware of your surroundings at ALL TIMES.....the pick pockets in Europe are professional...you will hear many warnings about this.

• Europe is expensive.....make sure that you have some sort of app on your phone to do currency conversion.....example...if you give a 10 pound tip in London.....it's like $25 US......where as a $100 tip in Denmark, it is only $15US

In the interest of accuracy a £10 tip in London currently equals $15.62US...a $100 tip in Denmark equates to, well...$100US. :rolleyes:

Lew

In the interest of accuracy a £10 tip in London currently equals $15.62US...a $100 tip in Denmark equates to, well...$100US. :rolleyes:

Lew

Its ok Lew I knew the idea he was trying to convey, and he did have some excellent suggestions. Have been to Denmark and know the currency is croners. The nice part about it is the only conversion I have to worry about this trip is Euros and that is an easy one these days :)

• Arrive a day before if you can...because you don't know what delays you will encounter. Once you arrive in Barcelona, DO NOT SLEEP (don't even take a nap) until it is dark outside. If you catnap even for a little because you are tired, it will take you longer to adjust to the jetlag. If you force yourself to stay up until it is dark, and then sleep all the way through the night, you will adjust better.

Should not be a problem as the OP is flying into Madrid, staying and sightseeing there, and then driving to Barcelona.