Carnival Fascination-very disappointing start

freepeople

Bed bugs and they expect you to stay in that cabin, I'd bust out laughing and tell them to stick that suggestion right up their a$$. What a bunch of fools.

So, if the ship is truly sold out, what exactly do you expect Carnival to do?

I've never complained about a cabin, or anything actually, but if I had bugs in my cabin I would certainly be raising a ruckus. I can't blame the OP for being upset about that. I'd be invoking the vacation guarantee if they couldn't get me a new cabin.

Reading the posts here - if the threadstarter thought they were getting a cabin configured with 4 actual beds - SOMEBODY dropped the ball.

Either the TA or the threadstarter.

Since the threadstarter hasn't even mentioned being unhappy with the cabin their TA put them in, my intuition tells me perhaps the threadstarter was less than diligent about making sure they got a cabin configured with 4 actual beds.

no, they didn't expect 4 beds on the floor... he/she expected 2 uppers...:

We got a king size bed with one pull down and a cot this sits about a foot off the floor. There is no seating in this room and the cot is literally crammed between the wall and the bed. As I said, we have always had a room with two pull downs before.

apparently he/she has booked this type of room before... and is just not pleased that he/she did not get what they had before.

such information would have been readily available when booking or after the fact... perhaps someone did drop the ball - either who they booked with or OP... someone should have informed the OP, or OP should have asked, but the room does accommodate the amount of people booked to it... just not what OP expected. buyer beware.

i could say something like 'if he/she has already cruised 12 times he/she should have known better', but i don't want to be accused of being rude again... :rolleyes:

as aforementioned, the bedbugs are a different matter altogether - if it is indeed a bedbug... though it is more likely a 'bug on the bed'. and regardless, i hope it works out for OP, and they are able to make the best of a preventable situation :p

We're not allowed to be honest and tell them they should have known what their cabin was going to be like? Why not? How does "oh you poor things" help anyone learn from their mistakes?

OK, so everyone knows I'm just a Big Meanie, so I'm going to agree with the people who don't think it's Carnival's fault that neither the TA nor the OP knew what sort of bed configuration they were booking.

It's 2015 folks. There is absolutely no excuse for not making yourselves informed consumers. There is SO MUCH information out there readily available, yet people can't be bothered.

And then it's always someone else's fault when they're unpleasantly surprised.

Now, the bug on the bed would bother me. I don't think that's a bed bug, though. Of course, I don't know that for sure because I haven't done any research on the subject!! ;)

We're not allowed to be honest and tell them they should have known what their cabin was going to be like? Why not? How does "oh you poor things" help anyone learn from their mistakes?

OK, so everyone knows I'm just a Big Meanie, so I'm going to agree with the people who don't think it's Carnival's fault that neither the TA nor the OP knew what sort of bed configuration they were booking.

It's 2015 folks. There is absolutely no excuse for not making yourselves informed consumers. There is SO MUCH information out there readily available, yet people can't be bothered.

And then it's always someone else's fault when they're unpleasantly surprised.

Now, the bug on the bed would bother me. I don't think that's a bed bug, though. Of course, I don't know that for sure because I haven't done any research on the subject!! ;)

People are quick to judge~~~if it was them it would be a big deal. People use TA's to provide accurate info for,the customer. Either way vacation is not starting out well.

If I found a bug I would absolutely take advantage of the cruise guarantee.

In this day and age, when I am booking a cruise on the phone with my PVP I have a computer open to look at the deck plan and room configuration of all the rooms she is offering me or I have a particular list of rooms already in mind. I make that list by looking at the deck plans, you-tube videos and other cruise information sites. Buyer beware, know what you are buying.

Bed bugs and they expect you to stay in that cabin, I'd bust out laughing and tell them to stick that suggestion right up their a$$. What a bunch of fools.

Working in the hospitality business, I find it highly unlikely that there was a bed bug in the bed. Normally they are on the mattress and box spring and among the sheets. Very seldom is there just one. Maybe it is simply a small bug that decided to nap on the bed.

Most bugs are brought into a hotel or onto a ship.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

no, they didn't expect 4 beds on the floor... he/she expected 2 uppers...:

No where did I say 4 beds on the floor.

We all know that cabin type can't accommodate 4 twin size beds on the floor.

As far as expecting 2 uppers - a quick check of the specs for that cabin at booking by either TA or poster would have avoided their bedding concerns. On that point we agree.

Edited by lizardhowson

There is only one class of OV on this ship and its says it sleeps 5 people. There is no way this sleeps 5 people can barely get the cot on the floor.

Not exactly true. There are 4 different classes of OV cabins on this ship, that sleep 2 ,3, 4, or 5 people

Not exactly true. There are 4 different classes of OV cabins on this ship, that sleep 2 ,3, 4, or 5 people

Not quite true. There are 2, 3, and 4 person cabins. Only with the addition of an extra berth to a quad can there be a quint.

As far as expecting 2 uppers - a quick check of the specs for that cabin at booking by either TA or poster would have avoided their bedding concerns. On that point we agree.

yes. that was my point, as explicated. we do agree.

People are quick to judge~~~if it was them it would be a big deal. People use TA's to provide accurate info for,the customer. Either way vacation is not starting out well.

If I found a bug I would absolutely take advantage of the cruise guarantee.

It has not been determined this was a bed bug. If a bed bug, I would want something done ASAP. But just a common little bug, I'm not going to let that spoil my vacation! I live in Florida, I get bugs in my house all the time. I just show them the door!!:D

Pat

It is very unlikely that is a bed bug.

Most likely a normal Florida bug that hopped a ride on luggage or the OP during embarkation then hopped off.

Your probably right about the bug. Think they saw one bug and made a mountain out of molehill.

The OP didnt bother to check out the cabin they are getting. Not Carnival's fault.

We learned a lesson years ago when we got a porthole cabin and didnt realize it was an upper lower configuration. Ship was full and we couldnt move but we made the best of it.

Could be someone doesnt make the sailing and a few days later the OP and family could be moved to a more suitable accomodation.

It does sound like someone didn't check out the bed configuration- but it sounds like OP had a travel agent, and I would put the blame squarely on the TA. That is exactly WHY people use a travel agent. Yeah yeah yeah... we should all educate ourselves... blah blah blah.

You know how we learn to check everything out for ourselves? When something like this happens!

I had exactly the same scenario a few years ago on the Victory. It wasn't our first cruise and we had used the travel agent many times. She knew what she was doing and had gotten us great deals and done a wonderful job many times. So when I booked a cabin for my 3 teen and 20 kids, it never crossed my mind it might only have 2 beds and no uppers. You would think an experienced travel agent would mention there were more beds than people and someone would have to take one for the team.

You really don't learn to look for those things until something goes wrong. I had no idea you could book a room for 3, but have the third bed be a rollaway (not the trundle) that was crammed between the other beds and the bathroom. There was literally no floor space to walk to the bathroom. The idea of those guys crammed in that way gave me nightmares because they all sleep at different times and don't always like each other much in close quarters. ;)

Some people missed the ship and we upgraded our kids to a balcony room with uppers and paid the difference. Lucky for us it became available.

OP- hang in there and see if something happens. Otherwise, make the best of it and know you certainly aren't the only person that walked into this.

We are booked on the paradise next and I noticed, while booking, that most of the lower level 4 people ocean view cabins that the website was bringing up as available had a note that said a trundle bed would be used for the 4th person. I ended up booking on Upper deck where it showed 2 uppers.

I know that you were expecting a second pull-down instead of a trundle, but it really is manageable. We have cruised twice with two adults and three children in an inside cabin with a trundle on the floor, and we plan to do it again. The trundle slides under a lower bed during the day, giving you room to walk around. It is shorter than an average adult, but a child can sleep on it comfortably, or a smaller adult who sleeps curled up. I found it just as comfortable as an upper.

I don't know if your TA gave you incorrect information about the beds. It's understandable that you trusted your TA and didn't check this, but deck plans show how many uppers and lowers are in a room. The older ships allow trundles to increase occupancy in some rooms. We actually appreciate this, because we can put five in a cheap room. But when I booked four adults in a room, I made sure it had two uppers.

As for the bug, I would be completely reassured by the inspection, unless you have knowledge that it was actually a bed bug. Bugs show up unannounced in my own house.

It does sound like someone didn't check out the bed configuration- but it sounds like OP had a travel agent, and I would put the blame squarely on the TA. That is exactly WHY people use a travel agent. Yeah yeah yeah... we should all educate ourselves... blah blah blah.

I humbly disagree with this being the TA's fault. The OP wanted a room that sleeps four, and that's what he/she got. If they didn't specifically state that they wanted a room with two drop down beds rather than a drop down and a cot, that's not the TA's fault.

My Oct cruise is booked with a TA, and I forgot to specify that I didn't want a room with a connecting room. When I realized that I was booked in one, I asked her to move me. Plain and simple. Had I not bothered to read the description of the room beforehand, I would have had to accept the room I received without complaint.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Working in the hospitality business, I find it highly unlikely that there was a bed bug in the bed. Normally they are on the mattress and box spring and among the sheets. Very seldom is there just one. Maybe it is simply a small bug that decided to nap on the bed.

Most bugs are brought into a hotel or onto a ship.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Plus, they don't come out during the day.

Got to our OV cabin today to find beds for only 3 people....there are 4 of us. Am being told a cot will be set up at night for 4th person. (See attached pic). It's almost on the floor. We paid for THIS?

There is no couch or chair to sit on. This is the smallest cabin we have ever seen. Add to that we found a bed bug on top of the comforter. Cabin is currently having an inspection to check for more bugs. Guest services of course says they are sold out and can't do anything. Trying really hard to stay upbeat-but this is a very disappointing start to our cruise. [ATTACH]357682[/ATTACH][ATTACH]357683[/ATTACH]

OP I am so sorry that Carnival did not give you a god first impression. First of all for the 4th person to sleep on a cot how uncomfortable. Let alone there is no sitting area such as a couch or chair. Did they put you in the Crew Stateroom by any chance? I hope your Travel Agent knew what he or she was getting into if you booked through one or your PVP etc.

This is not a standard oceanview room. This sounds like you were moved to a lower class sorry to say. I hope it gets fixed/

OP I am so sorry that Carnival did not give you a god first impression. First of all for the 4th person to sleep on a cot how uncomfortable. Let alone there is no sitting area such as a couch or chair. Did they put you in the Crew Stateroom by any chance? I hope your Travel Agent knew what he or she was getting into if you booked through one or your PVP etc.

This is not a standard oceanview room. This sounds like you were moved to a lower class sorry to say. I hope it gets fixed/

That is a standard OV on a Fantasy class ship. No couch but a chair or stool at the vanity and another low, unpadded stool that on which the pool towels are placed.

FWIW this class was designed before everyone had to have a couch or balcony.

Would hardly call what we paid for this OV "cheaping out". This is our 12th cruise. Have always had 2 pull-down beds. Aren't comfortable having our kids in another room. If it was a true "cot" would be fine but it is essentially a mattress on the floor (with bugs). We usually book. JS, but we took what was available. It is what it is- we will carry on and have a good time regardless.

I am sorry but if I am the person that has to sleep on this floor mattress I would be yelling bloody murder especially with a bed bug. I would make Carnival make this right pronto and ask to be flown back to the Port and guarantee me a larger room on the ship plus pay all changes for airfare and get an equal cruise for an equal amount of time. The abrupt Guest Services Manager would be reported too. And I would tell her I don't appreciate your abruptness.

My point is Carnival has to make this right. Tweet Miki Arison or another executive at Carnival. Make this photo known on Social Media etc. Get your TA to get you another cruise and pay to fly you to the other port etc. Your TA I'm sure knew very well what she//he was getting into and should have researched the cabin first before reserving it.

Even I know to call up and ask. My Father and I are booked on Royal Caribbean and first we were assigned to an Oceanview connecting which I knew had just a chair and no sofa so I asked to moved to a non-connecting room with a sofa. Point is I do the research and ask questions until I get the answers that I want to hear.

Please keep us posted OP.

I am sorry but if I am the person that has to sleep on this floor mattress I would be yelling bloody murder especially with a bed bug. I would make Carnival make this right pronto and ask to be flown back to the Port and guarantee me a larger room on the ship plus pay all changes for airfare and get an equal cruise for an equal amount of time. The abrupt Guest Services Manager would be reported too. And I would tell her I don't appreciate your abruptness.

My point is Carnival has to make this right. Tweet Miki Arison or another executive at Carnival. Make this photo known on Social Media etc. Get your TA to get you another cruise and pay to fly you to the other port etc. Your TA I'm sure knew very well what she//he was getting into and should have researched the cabin first before reserving it.

LOL...get over yourself, the cabins are clearly defined as to what you get for 4 people in this class of ship and cabin. OP clearly did not pay attention to the description that this could mean a cot on the floor (trundle bed situation). Ship is full and they are on it, what exactly do you expect Carnival to do at this point? LOL....:confused::confused::confused: