Your thoughts on Princess for people in their 30s

cocacola86

Only sailed Carnival and soon to be on RC out of San Juan, I've heard good things on Princess and some not so good. Just wondering can people in their 30s still have a good time on Princess, but how do you choose what ship class is the best? With lots of entertainment, dining options.

Only sailed Carnival and soon to be on RC out of San Juan, I've heard good things on Princess and some not so good. Just wondering can people in their 30s still have a good time on Princess, but how do you choose what ship class is the best? With lots of entertainment, dining options.

Im in my thirties and next month will be elite on princess. It's not necessarily the ship and class, but the itinerary. I have a good time with my friends wherever I go, but the age group trends lower on a) shorter cruises and b) Caribbean cruises. There are always exceptions to this rule, but just my experience.

There are plenty of dining options and entertainment each night. The Royal/Regal (newest ships) have a night club that is not nearly as nice as on the Crown class ships (Emerald/Ruby/Crown/Caribbean), but you'll find a DJ playing top hits each night.

So what would you say the big difference is? Compared to Carnival even though there owned by Carnival?

That is a misconception. Carnival Corporation owns Princess Cruise Line And Carnival Cruise Lines and others. Each cruise line operates independently. Carnival, the line, tends to cater to a younger demographic which can sometimes be louder and more rowdy. I think college kids when I see them onboard. Carnival also has flashier ships with lots of neon, sort of like Las Vegas decor. Princess ships are "elegant."

So what would you say the big difference is? Compared to Carnival even though there owned by Carnival?

This is one of those questions you have to experience yourself, a wide variety of ages, and lots variety of things to do from night life to kids club.... the experience being is your cruise port intensive or are you on the ocean for few days at a time? Alaska is good for relaxing as you are on the ship more days similar to the Caribbean.

If you port each morning at and sail off each evening such as a New England cruise then it does not feel much different other then I have been told the food on Princess is a upgraded cuisine choices.

Im in my thirties and next month will be elite on princess. It's not necessarily the ship and class, but the itinerary. I have a good time with my friends wherever I go, but the age group trends lower on a) shorter cruises and b) Caribbean cruises. There are always exceptions to this rule, but just my experience.

There are plenty of dining options and entertainment each night. The Royal/Regal (newest ships) have a night club that is not nearly as nice as on the Crown class ships (Emerald/Ruby/Crown/Caribbean), but you'll find a DJ playing top hits each night.

There are almost always MANY in their 30's on 7 day Princess cruises to the Caribbean. :)

LuLu

Carnival, the line, tends to cater to a younger demographic which can sometimes be louder and more rowdy. I think college kids when I see them onboard. Carnival also has flashier ships with lots of neon, sort of like Las Vegas decor. Princess ships are "elegant."

Perfectly said. I started cruising Princess in my 30s. Loved it. Then went on a Carnival cruise. Hated it. It just isn't for us. I prefer the elegance to the rowdy. But I'm sure others would feel differently.

DW and I are in our 30s. DW has been on Carnival and said will never get on one again. We have both been on NCL and were less than impressed. We have been on 6 princess cruises and have our 7th booked.

It's hard to answer your question without knowing more about what you guys like to do. Do you like to be involved in a week long party? Do you like to ice skate and rock climb? If either of those are a yes you will be disappointed with Princess. I like to think that if carnival and HAL had a baby it would be princess. We find that it has the best mix for us. They have a limited number of kids on board (unofficially from what we hear) and that brings a good mix of ages on most itineraries. We find that they have a variety of activities onboard and do not cater to one group over another. They do have an evening club like atmosphere on most of the ships we have been on if you like to stay up and get your dance on.

If you can give us a little more about what you do and do not like it will be easier to help you learn about how princess will fit with your expectations.

DW and I really enjoy the variety and laid back atmosphere princess offers. We can be as busy or relaxed as we want and have never had a dull minute onboard.

We're in our 60s & Princess has been our best cruise experience since we were in our 30s. When we join a family multigenerational cruise the consensus was to sail on Royal Caribbean. Those in their 30s & 40s found more things they like to do but as I said we enjoyed Princess at that age. I would also chose RCL over Carnival because it was closer to Princess.

We enjoy the Princess Royal-class ships which have additional dining options (Alfredo's Pizzeria is more than just pizza, Gelato's, Ocean's Terrace, much larger buffet) and the latest Princess production shows.

That is a misconception. Carnival Corporation owns Princess Cruise Line And Carnival Cruise Lines and others. Each cruise line operates independently. Carnival, the line, tends to cater to a younger demographic which can sometimes be louder and more rowdy. I think college kids when I see them onboard. Carnival also has flashier ships with lots of neon, sort of like Las Vegas decor. Princess ships are "elegant."

Carnival Cruise Line is also much more likely to have toga parties and belly flop contests. :D

We like to go to the shows, go for dinner, were not into dancing

That sounds like our ideal evening so you should enjoy a Princess cruise...I think one of the descriptions is casual elegance which has been my experience. There's no eyestrain from Carnival's Vegas-style neon & glitz although I've read that's not as bad on newer Carnival ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Do you go for the ports or the ships? Is there better ships in the fleet other than Royal/Regal?

"Better" is, of course, a matter of opinion. Those are the newer ones with some improvements, like a great buffet. Some people don't think there is improvement over the older ships, the Grand class.

We like to go to the shows, go for dinner, were not into dancing, she likes going to the spa, we just want to go somewhere where it's warm after a cold winter, but a cruise that won't break the bank.

I think you both will be really happy with princess. We find those shows are good but not great, about what I would expect and it's a good time. DW is a very picky eater and I will try anything and everything and there is always something for each of us on the dining room menu. You can try the specialty restaurants if you would like, we have not so I can't say if they are or not worth the extra money.

DE and I both hit the spa every cruise. We have done massages as well as acupuncture and find the spa personnel friendly, knowledgable, and attentive. The spa even on the older ships is nice and also quiet. Be prepared to drop about $100 for a 50 minute massage though, a little pricey than on land but I think they do a better job, also of you politely tell them you aren't interested in buying any additional products they won't push them.

Feel free to ask any other specific questions but based on what you wrote I feel like you will really enjoy it.

Can you book in CDN dollars

In Canadian dollar up to September only 10% above $US ,after that 20% above if you book early .Have heard Princess decide the rates in February. If you have booked at lower price that is fixed for the cruise section.....:)

Honestly if you have a cruise planned on RCI I advise you to wait until after that before deciding on Princess. Because the vibes are polar opposites. Though RCI attracts the most families outside of Disney, much of their clientele consists of boomers and young retirees who frequently like to behave as if they were still in their 30s (or 20s). If that works for you then Princess probably won't. But if a good dinner and show is what you prefer each evening you will blend in with the acting-their-age Princess crown fine, as opposed to night on RCI ships where the main activities are dancing, karaoke and bawdy game shows (and their loyalty program is totally booze-oriented [even more so than Carnival] which you will discover from observing the repeat cruisers).

I want it to be about the ports not the ship, we were booked on Anthem but switched it to Adventure, cause Adventure was about the ports 6 ports in 8 days. I know Princess used to go out of San Juan how come they stopped? How is the Buffett is it like Carnival, where it's the same thing over and over again. How're the drink prices, we don't drink alcohol, just pop and juice. So whatre some pros and cons? How're the cabin space, I'm not sure if we would balcony, maybe interior or OV

Do you go for the ports or the ships? Is there better ships in the fleet other than Royal/Regal?

I rarely go to the Caribbean because to me the ports are not much more than beaches which are not important to me. Thus in the Caribbean the ship is more important to me than the ports & why last year we sailed 10 days from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale on the Royal Princess & never got off the ship.

When sailing elsewhere around the world then ports are a big factor particularly when it's a port intensive cruise. We sailed 12 days in the eastern Med with 11 days in port so the ship was less of a factor because we wouldn't be onboard much. Obviously the total price is also a factor & we also consider things such as our various OBCs we're eligible to receive, flights, etc.

"Better" is, of course, a matter of opinion. Those are the newer ones with some improvements, like a great buffet. Some people don't think there is improvement over the older ships, the Grand class.

I feel the same way...there are pros & cons to any ship and no ship is perfect for everyone. ;)

If you had to pick Ruby either from

DayPort / DateArriveDepart

Los Angeles, California

Thursday, May 4

4:00 PM

At Sea

Friday, May 5

San Francisco, California

Saturday, May 6

7:00 AM11:00 PM

At Sea

Sunday, May 7

Astoria, Oregon

Monday, May 8

8:00 AM5:00 PM

Victoria, British Columbia

Tuesday, May 9

8:00 AM11:59 PM

Vancouver, British Columbia

Wednesday, May 10

Grand Princess

Saturday, April 1

At Sea

Sunday, April 2

Santa Barbara, California

Monday, April 3

7:00 AM6:00 PM

Los Angeles (Long Beach), California

Tuesday, April 4

San Diego, California

Wednesday, April 5

Ensenada, Mexico

Thursday, April 6

At Sea

Friday, April 7

Saturday, April 8

7:00 AM

Ruby Princess

Los Angeles, California

Saturday, April 22

At Sea

Sunday, April 23

Monday, April 24

7:00 AM11:00 PM

At Sea

Tuesday, April 25

Santa Barbara, California

Wednesday, April 26

San Diego, California

Thursday, April 27

Ensenada, Mexico

Friday, April 28

Los Angeles, California

Saturday, April 29

7:00 AM

So if had to pick between the ship/intenary with onboard features, your experience on the ship or doing these ports.