California Coastal-Which side of Ship?

CruznMooses

The DW and I are booked on the Grand Princess for a California Coastal on Oct 10th. We are currently on the the Starboard side of the ship (odd numbered cabins) but after some thinking about it we are thinking that maybe we should be on the Port side of the ship.

Can anybody that has been on a California Coastal give us some advice as to which side of the ship is better for this cruise?

The DW and I are booked on the Grand Princess for a California Coastal on Oct 10th. We are currently on the the Starboard side of the ship (odd numbered cabins) but after some thinking about it we are thinking that maybe we should be on the Port side of the ship.

Can anybody that has been on a California Coastal give us some advice as to which side of the ship is better for this cruise?

There was just a thread here asking the identical question.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2240959&highlight=coastal

Edited by shredie

Sailing into San Francisco Bay you want to be on the starboard side, which you already are. Stay put and be sure to set your alarm early so you are up to see one of the most magnificent sights cruising.

I think port is better for this cruise. I don't have the experience some do, but I've spend a fair amount of time thinking about this very question, because we're on the same cruise and had to consider a couple of moves.

All the stops are on the way down, so as you leave Santa Barbara, Long Beach and San Diego, the land -- therefore the points of interest -- will all be on our left. When we leave Ensenada, the coast will be on our right. So three ports favor the port side and one the starboard.

f-mattox says the starboard is the place to be sailing into S.F. Bay. That makes sense, but it also suggests that leaving the bay you might have a better view on the port side.

So I think we probably can't go wrong, but all things being equal (and they rarely are), I'd pick port. In the end we're sticking with our starboard mini-suite, because the port minis tend to be noisier.

Jim

Jim, I'm just curious what you base this on. Not at all trying to be argumentative--it's just that I have never heard this before.

Sure. Happy to answer. The stage of the Club Fusion or Vista Lounge or whatever it's called (differs from ship to ship) is at the aft-port corner of all Grand class ships, as far as I can tell. The sound problems seem to travel straight up (based on other reports I've seen here on CC). Again, I've seen a number of complaints about noise in port-aft minis and absolutely none about starboard minis, whether aft or not so aft.

Jim

Now that I have heard; I didn't realize you were referring to primarily the aft minis. I've had the last mini on the starboard side of Emerald deck several times and never had a problem--never heard a thing. But I know it can be a different story on the port side.

Now that I have heard; I didn't realize you were referring to primarily the aft minis. I've had the last mini on the starboard side of Emerald deck several times and never had a problem--never heard a thing. But I know it can be a different story on the port side.

My bad. I see now that I wasn't clear. I'm talking strictly about the Emerald deck minis when I talk about the noise issue.

Jim

Land will largely be out of sight, except as you enter and leave ports. If you expect to be on your own balcony at the times you enter and leave ports, the above posters have given better advise than I can. Of course if you think you will be asleep, in dining room, on a public deck, etc, at the times you enter and leave ports, that is not so important, so think about the times listed on your itinerary.

Another possible consideration for some people: Are you more likely to wish to see sunrises or sunsets from your balcony? Are you more likely to desire sunshine on your balcony/cabin in the morning or afternoon?

Another possible consideration for some people: Are you more likely to wish to see sunrises or sunsets from your balcony? Are you more likely to desire sunshine on your balcony/cabin in the morning or afternoon?

Since the cruise will be going north-to-south and south-to-north, the sunrise/sunset and the sunshine will occur no matter which side you pick.

One thing to think about: in Long Beach, cruise ships dock with their starboard side against the pier. Since the OP is on the starboard side, this will give them a nice view of the QUEEN MARY.

Is the OP going to Long Beach?