Best Flights Between NYC and Rome

shainky84

After mulling and mulling over this whole thing, I've decided to just bite the bullet and book the Delta non-stop. We might save some money with a stop, but having to transfer in an unfamiliar airport and without knowing EU security protocols it just makes more sense. Delta is a bit more expensive than Alitalia, but everything I've read and heard leads to rationalize spending a bit more for a better passenger experience. I also just opened up a Delta miles credit card, so I'll earn back extra miles for every dollar I spend for a future trip!

A round-trip ticket is currently at $1428. Our trip is the two weeks of June 2016. Is this price likely to drop if I wait for a bit? Or should I pay it and be done?

Edited by shainky84

After mulling and mulling over this whole thing, I've decided to just bite the bullet and book the Delta non-stop. We might save some money with a stop, but having to transfer in an unfamiliar airport and without knowing EU security protocols it just makes more sense. Delta is a bit more expensive than Alitalia, but everything I've read and heard leads to rationalize spending a bit more for a better passenger experience. I also just opened up a Delta miles credit card, so I'll earn back extra miles for every dollar I spend for a future trip!

A round-trip ticket is currently at $1428. Our trip is the two weeks of June 2016. Is this price likely to drop if I wait for a bit? Or should I pay it and be done?

I recently read an article that says airfares are their lowest for a period about 5 weeks prior to flying.

$1420 per coach class ticket sounds like highway robbery to me.

I would definitely wait to book. Have you tried using Celebrity's CruiseAir? I never have, but always here of great fares in the $400-$500 range.

Also, Kayak.com has a tool that shows you fare trends that can be useful in judging timing of flight purchases.

Did you get the Delta SkyMiles Amex? They are giving 30,000 miles for joining.

Edited by cle-guy

I recently read an article that says airfares are their lowest for a period about 5 weeks prior to flying.

I would definitely wait to book. Have you tried using Celebrity's CruiseAir? I never have, but always here of great fares in the $400-$500 range.

Also, Kayak.com has a tool that shows you fare trends that can be useful in judging timing of flight purchases.

Did you get the Delta SkyMiles Amex? They are giving 30,000 miles for joining.

Thanks Curt!

Yes, I got the Delta SkyMiles Amex card. I have two other cards with Amex, so getting approved for this one was a piece of cake! Between the 30,000 bonus miles, the double miles awarded for Delta purchases, and the miles traveled, I may end getting a free flight out of this one! :)

I monitor fares regularly, and check at least once a day. I usually like to book about 50-60 days out for domestic, but I've heard that international/transoceanic should be booked further out. I'm traveling from NYC to Florida in November, and I booked those about 3 weeks ago when JetBlue was running a great sale. I got a round-trip fare, with checked bag, for $206.

Kayak says they can't make a forecast yet, since it's probably too early (fares have only been on sale since Saturday). And ChoiceAir isn't even showing Delta's non-stop in its search results for my dates.

Since it's a honeymoon, and my fiance isn't the best flyer, I want to book earlier than I might otherwise in order to secure a better seat instead of getting stuck in the middle in the back of the plane.

The question is how long I should wait....

Thanks!

On what basis?

Aren't averages lovely? Every airline market is completely different so you can't apply a one size fits all approach to buying tickets.

We've flown Alitalia many times to Italy out of JFK, never had a problem or issue. We fly economy, it's non-stop, we're not going for the dining experience, and the price was right. We're in a seat for 8 hours....it's not like we're moving into our retirement condo for the rest of our lives. On another note...if you are going in conjunction with a European cruise or a TA our experience has been that NOTHING beats the price the cruise line offers for "their" air. And again, to be in a seat for 8 hours and save over $300 pp, I really don't care what airline I'm on.

We've flown Alitalia many times to Italy out of JFK, never had a problem or issue. We fly economy, it's non-stop, we're not going for the dining experience, and the price was right. We're in a seat for 8 hours....it's not like we're moving into our retirement condo for the rest of our lives. On another note...if you are going in conjunction with a European cruise or a TA our experience has been that NOTHING beats the price the cruise line offers for "their" air. And again, to be in a seat for 8 hours and save over $300 pp, I really don't care what airline I'm on.

I've read a number of reviews which lead me away from Alitalia. I appreciate your positive (or at least neutral) review, and I get it. I've flown Transaero (not by choice), which was awful and no amount of savings would ever lead me to do so again, and El Al, where you pay for security and not comfort, and would be fine with any airline. But my fiance has never flown overseas and complains about a 2 or 3-hour flight to Florida. Especially on our honeymoon, I think its worth spending a little more for a better experience. Next time around we will be more cost-conscious.

I'll keep checking to see what ChoiceAir offers. As mentioned they aren't even showing Delta's non-stop as an option. But the other fares they show seem to match what Kayak and other sites are offering.

Thanks.

Edited by shainky84

On what basis?

Aren't averages lovely? Every airline market is completely different so you can't apply a one size fits all approach to buying tickets.

Yes, in off-peak seasons I've never seen a flight from NYC to Europe for less than $700-$800. Double that for a peak season is a bit high, yes, but not outrageously so. And especially not when it's the only flight that airline flies on that route.

That's really, really high. I don't know your exact dates, so looked at JFK-FCO departure 16 June, return 27 June. You can fly Aer Lingus with one stop in Dublin (very easy!) for $947 RT each. The flight times are good. If you haven't purchased yet, look at this option. You would preclear US immigration and customs in Dublin for this return.

Edited by 6rugrats

We haven't booked yet so I'll give this idea some additional consideration. If we did book a stop, this would be our itinerary of choice. Aer Lingus is aligned with JetBlue, our airline of choice, so we'd earn miles with them and the use JetBlue's terminal at JFK.

Is 12 noon departure for the trip too early? Official disembarkation is 5am, but I can't imagine getting odd the ship before 8 or 9. Add an hour to get to airport. And I've heard that FCO is a cluster-you-know-what to check in.

And is 1:40 enough time for a connection to pick up bags, check in for next flight, and do preclearance? If we miss the flight back to JFK we'd be stuck until the next morning.

"Ten statisticians waded across a river that was an average 3 feet deep. Five drowned. " :)

We haven't booked yet so I'll give this idea some additional consideration. If we did book a stop, this would be our itinerary of choice. Aer Lingus is aligned with JetBlue, our airline of choice, so we'd earn miles with them and the use JetBlue's terminal at JFK.

Is 12 noon departure for the trip too early? Official disembarkation is 5am, but I can't imagine getting odd the ship before 8 or 9. Add an hour to get to airport. And I've heard that FCO is a cluster-you-know-what to check in.

And is 1:40 enough time for a connection to pick up bags, check in for next flight, and do preclearance? If we miss the flight back to JFK we'd be stuck until the next morning.

Actually, the cluster**ck at FCO is only if you are flying a US (and possibly Canadian) airline nonstop from FCO to the USA (and possibly Canada). You have to do the T5 to-Twhatever shuffle. On Alitalia, you go straight to T3 and check-in there, hit passport control/security and then do a little duty-free shopping (I hit the wine store and bought a few nice bottles) before the flight. If you do the intra-Europe stuff, it is dependent on where your connection is. Intra-Schengen is just like a domestic flight in the US (you'll do your passport control in the next airport). Doing the Icelandair thing may require passport control at FCO (I'm not familiar with that).

Actually, the cluster**ck at FCO is only if you are flying a US (and possibly Canadian) airline nonstop from FCO to the USA (and possibly Canada). You have to do the T5 to-Twhatever shuffle. On Alitalia, you go straight to T3 and check-in there, hit passport control/security and then do a little duty-free shopping (I hit the wine store and bought a few nice bottles) before the flight. If you do the intra-Europe stuff, it is dependent on where your connection is. Intra-Schengen is just like a domestic flight in the US (you'll do your passport control in the next airport). Doing the Icelandair thing may require passport control at FCO (I'm not familiar with that).

I must admit...the first sentence made me laugh. :D