Update: August 8 Departure of Viking Star

Viking Cruises

Dear Viking Guests & Cruise Critic Members,

We are looking forward to welcoming our next group of guests aboard Viking Star. As many of you know, Viking Star has experienced mechanical issues on its previous cruise and as a result, the ship is unable to sail to Bergen to meet embarking guests on August 8. Boarding will take place instead in Copenhagen on August 10 – and on August 8 and 9 we have arranged hotel stays and shore excursions in Bergen. While we are as disappointed as you are with this change of schedule, we have done our utmost to make arrangements which will allow our guests to experience the ports they came to see as much as possible in the way they have anticipated. The revised itinerary for the August 8th sailing is as follows:

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Upon arrival in Bergen, Norway, Viking will meet guests at the airport and bring them to an assigned hotel in the city where they will spend 2 nights. The remainder of the Saturday is theirs to explore one of Norway’s most beautiful cities. Please note that hotel assignments will only be available upon arrival.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Today, we will take guests into the enchanting fjord country Norway is famous for. The tour passes crystal clear blue waters, steeps cliffs, waterfalls and small villages before returning to Bergen. The evening is at leisure.

Monday, August 10, 2015

This morning, guests will get to know Bergen on a city tour that includes the historical port areas inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List along with many other landmarks. In the afternoon, we will fly guests to Copenhagen, where the crew of Viking Star is anticipating their arrival.

The modified itinerary would be as follows:

Aug 8: Arrive in Bergen, transfer to local hotel; free time

Aug 9: Norway fjord country excursion; evening at leisure in Bergen

Aug 10: Bergen city tour; charter flight from Bergen to Copenhagen; embark Viking Star

Aug 11: Copenhagen, Denmark

Aug 12: Kiel Canal Transit

Aug 13: At Sea

Aug 14: Le Havre, France (Paris)

Aug 15: At Sea – returning to the original itinerary

Aug 16: At Sea

Aug 17: Lisbon, Portugal

Aug 18: Cadiz, Spain (Seville)

Aug 19: Gibraltar, UK

Aug 20: Cartagena, Spain (Murica)

Aug 21: Barcelona, Spain

Aug 22: Barcelona, Spain

In consideration of this unforeseen change in your cruise schedule we have contacted all guests and their Travel Agents. Please note: if you reserved your cruise through a Travel Agent and did not receive an email notification from Viking, we may not have your email address and sent the notification to your Travel Agent; we encourage you to check-in with them.

Our guests’ satisfaction is important to Viking and we will be looking to make amends for these disruptions. We would also like to remind our guests that as with any cruise itinerary, this modified itinerary is subject to change.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the August 8th departure, please do not hesitate to email us at customerrelations@vikingcruises.com or call Customer Relations at 1.877.668.4546, extension 4525, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., PDT. As we so often say here on Cruise Critic, you can also reach us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Dear Viking Guests & Cruise Critic Members,

We are looking forward to welcoming our next group of guests aboard Viking Star. As many of you know, Viking Star has experienced mechanical issues on its previous cruise and as a result, the ship is unable to sail to Bergen to meet embarking guests on August 8. Boarding will take place instead in Copenhagen on August 10 – and on August 8 and 9 we have arranged hotel stays and shore excursions in Bergen. While we are as disappointed as you are with this change of schedule, we have done our utmost to make arrangements which will allow our guests to experience the ports they came to see as much as possible in the way they have anticipated. The revised itinerary for the August 8th sailing is as follows:

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Upon arrival in Bergen, Norway, Viking will meet guests at the airport and bring them to an assigned hotel in the city where they will spend 2 nights. The remainder of the Saturday is theirs to explore one of Norway’s most beautiful cities. Please note that hotel assignments will only be available upon arrival.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Today, we will take guests into the enchanting fjord country Norway is famous for. The tour passes crystal clear blue waters, steeps cliffs, waterfalls and small villages before returning to Bergen. The evening is at leisure.

Monday, August 10, 2015

This morning, guests will get to know Bergen on a city tour that includes the historical port areas inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List along with many other landmarks. In the afternoon, we will fly guests to Copenhagen, where the crew of Viking Star is anticipating their arrival.

The modified itinerary would be as follows:

Aug 8: Arrive in Bergen, transfer to local hotel; free time

Aug 9: Norway fjord country excursion; evening at leisure in Bergen

Aug 10: Bergen city tour; charter flight from Bergen to Copenhagen; embark Viking Star

Aug 11: Copenhagen, Denmark

Aug 12: Kiel Canal Transit

Aug 13: At Sea

Aug 14: Le Havre, France (Paris)

Aug 15: At Sea – returning to the original itinerary

Aug 16: At Sea

Aug 17: Lisbon, Portugal

Aug 18: Cadiz, Spain (Seville)

Aug 19: Gibraltar, UK

Aug 20: Cartagena, Spain (Murica)

Aug 21: Barcelona, Spain

Aug 22: Barcelona, Spain

In consideration of this unforeseen change in your cruise schedule we have contacted all guests and their Travel Agents. Please note: if you reserved your cruise through a Travel Agent and did not receive an email notification from Viking, we may not have your email address and sent the notification to your Travel Agent; we encourage you to check-in with them.

Our guests’ satisfaction is important to Viking and we will be looking to make amends for these disruptions. We would also like to remind our guests that as with any cruise itinerary, this modified itinerary is subject to change.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the August 8th departure, please do not hesitate to email us at customerrelations@vikingcruises.com or call Customer Relations at 1.877.668.4546, extension 4525, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., PDT. As we so often say here on Cruise Critic, you can also reach us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Thank you for letting us know what to expect. For those of who arrive in Bergen prior to the 8th, how with this work?

Can we stay on in the Hotels we booked or will we have to move?

Viking Oceans,

As a future passenger, I want to first state that I understand that this situation is terribly frustrating to you. There have been and will continue to be glitches in rescheduling so many individual events. Anyone who thinks this is all easy just doesn't understand the situation. You have my sympathies, and I guarantee you that this hasn't caused me to second guess my cruise.

That said, here's my question: what happened? I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't care and perhaps wouldn't understand, but the fact is that ocean cruises draw persons with more than a little technical and/or marine experience. Probably more than river cruises do. We'd like to have more than a one sentence explanation. I've gotten a lot more than that from airline pilots when they don't takeoff for a two hour, $100 flight.

I'm hoping that having a 100% supply of spare parts on the Viking Sky is a fortunate situation.

Viking Oceans,

That said, here's my question: what happened? I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't care and perhaps wouldn't understand, but the fact is that ocean cruises draw persons with more than a little technical and/or marine experience. Probably more than river cruises do. We'd like to have more than a one sentence explanation. I've gotten a lot more than that from airline pilots when they don't takeoff for a two hour, $100 flight.

I'm hoping that having a 100% supply of spare parts on the Viking Sky is a fortunate situation.

Really? You expect a 100% supply of spare parts? Do you carry spare parts in your car, or can any one auto parts store or even dealer guarantee a part is in stock in your city/town at all times? Where would you store all the spare parts? Ask every guest to put a few in the closet in their cabin? Maybe put some in with the fruits and vegetables in the walk-in refrigerators? Does that airplane carry 100% spares, and does every airport have every spare part needed for every plane arriving/departing? Would that list of spare parts include every part for the engines (including a cylinder block?) or just a spare engine? Should they carry a spare azipod?

If you have the technical/marine experience you say, you would know how unrealistic and unfeasible your request is.

The Viking Sky is under construction. Taking a part off her to fix the Star would be a short term solution. Though the comment was more of a throw away joke than a serious suggestion. I'm sorry for the confusion.

A 100% discussion is no good. You are both right in some. Of course ships do carry spares for quite a few things. They are at sea for longer period and may need to do repairs. But this is for known pieces that may break. Some even have spare anchor and propeller!

For a plane?? How can you repair when you are flying??? And there are stocks on many airports.

For your car? One used to have spare bulbs, tyre, jack, even a can of petrol. Nowadays there are nothing - but you have a mobile and could get help quickly.

As for the Star situation - these generators are huge beasts. And they are of a brand new design. As I understand from comments is that the problems are related to some parts of these engines. And with new equipment you rarely know what will break. One of the other ships in Tallin today always carry a lot of spare as a part of their ships setup. Not that they need it, but they have it available. VS is brand new and also run by a brand new ocean going company. So they are probably like a new car. Save money and have no spares. They are also not doing any longer ocean crossings nor world cruises. They are close to a harbor at all times and therefore should not need that much spares. They will not even see much bad weather on their cruises. Just look at all the glass items and other nice items they carry in their common areas. It will look like a nightmare after the first storm they encounter. But having many employees from the river cruises they do not know this part of cruising. Enjoy the glass vases as long as you can!

For sure you will never see a 100% backup. You probably will have to take off passengers to be able to float.

A 100% discussion is no good. You are both right in some. Of course ships do carry spares for quite a few things. They are at sea for longer period and may need to do repairs. But this is for known pieces that may break. Some even have spare anchor and propeller!

For a plane?? How can you repair when you are flying??? And there are stocks on many airports.

For your car? One used to have spare bulbs, tyre, jack, even a can of petrol. Nowadays there are nothing - but you have a mobile and could get help quickly.

As for the Star situation - these generators are huge beasts. And they are of a brand new design. As I understand from comments is that the problems are related to some parts of these engines. And with new equipment you rarely know what will break. One of the other ships in Tallin today always carry a lot of spare as a part of their ships setup. Not that they need it, but they have it available. VS is brand new and also run by a brand new ocean going company. So they are probably like a new car. Save money and have no spares. They are also not doing any longer ocean crossings nor world cruises. They are close to a harbor at all times and therefore should not need that much spares. They will not even see much bad weather on their cruises. Just look at all the glass items and other nice items they carry in their common areas. It will look like a nightmare after the first storm they encounter. But having many employees from the river cruises they do not know this part of cruising. Enjoy the glass vases as long as you can!

For sure you will never see a 100% backup. You probably will have to take off passengers to be able to float.

The generators are not a "brand new design". These are proven MAN diesels, and the company has stated that there was no problem with the engines or generators. The VEM propulsion motors are established equipment as well. The problem comes with the variable frequency drive that changes the 60 Hz power generated for the ship into a variable frequency required by the propulsion motors to vary the propeller speed. It is hard to tell what has failed in this system (and each of the two motors, one for each propeller, has two drives each providing half power, and I believe from Viking's statements that only one drive to one motor has failed), but most of this is solid state controls, and very common in the cruise industry, but that are not common failure items.

The Viking Sky is under construction. Taking a part off her to fix the Star would be a short term solution. Though the comment was more of a throw away joke than a serious suggestion. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Just to clarify this, the Viking Sky is not owned by Viking cruises yet, not until "delivery" after sea trials, so Viking would need permission from Fincantieri to remove a part, and affect Fincantieri's production schedule.

Dear austinect,

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate your kind words and unwavering confidence in us. We posted some information about the repairs previously (and elsewhere) on Cruise Critic, but are happy to share that information again here. While it may not be as many sentences as you’d prefer, we can confirm the mechanical issue is related to the electric transformers linked to a part of the propulsion system. We do have a team of expert engineers working to repair these transformers and foresee complete repair by next week. Should you have additional questions, please contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com – we’d be happy to hear from you and are looking forward to welcoming you aboard in the future!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Viking Oceans,

As a future passenger, I want to first state that I understand that this situation is terribly frustrating to you. There have been and will continue to be glitches in rescheduling so many individual events. Anyone who thinks this is all easy just doesn't understand the situation. You have my sympathies, and I guarantee you that this hasn't caused me to second guess my cruise.

I know there are other travelers like us who are on the delayed 8/8 sailing who traveled independently and have hotel rooms for Friday. How do we find a Viking rep to coordinate our new hotels? Are they going to compensate us for the meals we buy that we would otherwise have eaten on board ? Why am I wondering where all these hotel rooms are going to come from whe they didn't have enough rooms to accommodate the previous cruse people. I have contacted Viking customer service and they said thy would get. Back to me in 7-10 days. I will try the other email but am not holding my breath. And by the way, BA lost our luggage so we are sitting in cold wet oslo with our travel clothes still on.

Dear Mr. Shipman:

Thank you for your email. We are sorry for the delay in response from our Customer Relations team. I am happy to answer the questions posed in your email message below.

For guests, such as yourself, who have traveled independently and will already be in Bergen on August 8, 2015, we would encourage you to make your way to the original docking location in Bergen. The address is Skoltegrunnskaien, NO 5003, Bergen, NO. A Viking representative will be positioned at the Bergen dock for the day and will communicate hotel information and arrange a transfer to your assigned hotel - there will likely be more than one to accommodate all guests.

Despite your hotel stay, Viking will still provide each of your meals - just as we will aboard Viking Star. If you do purchase a meal on your own, please keep your receipts as I am happy to review reimbursement once you return home.

Mr. Shipman, should additional questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Enjoy your trip!

Best regards,

Valerie Kepler I Viking Cruises I Customer Relations Agent I (t) 877.668.4546, ext. 8828 I (f) 818.594.8463 I valerie.kepler@vikingcruises.com I vikingcruises.com

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination within the public domain of the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 3:45 AM

To: Tellus

Subject: What about those already in bergen for 8/8 cruise?

I know there are other travelers like us who are on the delayed 8/8 sailing who traveled independently and have hotel rooms for Friday. How do we find a Viking rep to coordinate our new hotels? Are you going to compensate us for the meals we buy that we would otherwise have eaten on board ? Why am I wondering where all these hotel rooms are going to come from when you didn't have enough rooms to accommodate the previous cruise people. I have contacted Viking customer service and they said they would get Back to me in 7-10 days. We kind of need to know something before that.

Sent from my iPad

Dear Mr. Shipman:

Thank you for your email...

<<<snipped>>>

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination within the public domain of the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.

-----Original Message-----

I assume you got permission from the sender to share the content of her email.

We booked and paid in full for this cruise in December of 2013. We were really excited about the entire cruise, but mostly London and Paris. We have booked the Paris tour and are really hoping to be assured that it will happen. We are not happy with the $500.00 shipboard credit offered and have no use for it, we would prefer that as a refund. As far as future Viking cruises, how we are treated on this one will determine if we use Viking again. We have done the Viking Grande European cruise and loved it. We have referred many to Viking.

We are still waiting to see if Viking offers a more generous compensation, before we decide whether or not to cancel this trip.

We are also wondering what other passengers booked on this cruise are going to do (Cancel or Go)?

OK OneBag, you got me. I did not read the boilerplate fine print on the message so I am guilty, but her response was helpful and useful information that others on this problem filled trip were also requesting. So I guess I'm asking forgiveness now rather than permission. I might add this Viking Rep responded rapidly when information has been in short supply and gave me renewed confidence that Viking might actually be able to pull off this logistical nightmare. Her responses to other emails have been forwarded on various threads but if she objects to this one, I have no problem with TA deleting the thread.

Disclaimer: Please take this with a very large dose of salt, as it only my personal speculation, but...

I would not board an airplane in the next few days with the expectation that the Star will be in Copenhagen on the 11th for boarding. I'd even place a modest wager that she'll still be bobbing along in Tallinn.

I only have what Viking has said, along with the Tallinn port schedule which shows scheduled departure of 23:59 Aug 8, and the translation of a Russian newspaper ru postimees ee that says the Star must move out tonight (Wednesday) to make room for an arriving ship and will be towed to another port there for repair.

None of that directly supports my theory, but 30 years of managing large projects - with more than I care to recall in crisis - and upwards of 2 million miles traveled (albeit no projects and few miles in the cruise industry) has given me a nose for these things, and this one isn't smelling right.

There is a deadly combination of optimism and hope-for-cost-control that can set in in these situations that inevitably makes matters far worse. The signs are there: complex, 'highly unusual' problem, distant port, new 'system' (ship in this case), new teams, new venture that marketing is trying to protect, etc.

For Viking's and especially the passenger's sake I hope they resounding prove me wrong.

BTW: If they don't prove me wrong or at least become much more transparent in the next few days, even though my booking is not until next year and on the Viking Sea not the Star, I'm going to have to conclude the risk is too high, pull the plug and look elsewhere.

I am on the Star a year from now. I need to look up the final refund date, since Viking demands payment 18 months in advance. I may want to give them a year a two to settle down.....there are plenty of options for these ports on other lines with more reliability

My first cruise with Viking was already cancelled due to construction delays and we were able to rebook on the star - we got $500 off and OBC for something still a year away.....canceling this close to departure should be worth a little more.

Edited by Pete and Judy

OK OneBag, you got me. I did not read the boilerplate fine print on the message so I am guilty, but her response was helpful and useful information that others on this problem filled trip were also requesting. So I guess I'm asking forgiveness now rather than permission. I might add this Viking Rep responded rapidly when information has been in short supply and gave me renewed confidence that Viking might actually be able to pull off this logistical nightmare. Her responses to other emails have been forwarded on various threads but if she objects to this one, I have no problem with TA deleting the thread.

Not trying to get you. I think it's great to share info. My concern is that posting entire emails might discourage candid email communication. Paraphrasing the content, leaving out email addresses and phone extensions and such, seems to me like a better option. Best of luck to you and all on the 8/8 cruise. I hope there are no more surprises.

That kind of boiler plate is for situations where the mail may have gotten delivered to someone other than the intended recipient. It is not intended as a non-disclosure statement for the intended recipient. Fairly standard in business communications.

So you do not have anything to ask forgiveness for

That kind of boiler plate is for situations where the mail may have gotten delivered to someone other than the intended recipient. It is not intended as a non-disclosure statement for the intended recipient. Fairly standard in business communications.

So you do not have anything to ask forgiveness for

I agree there is no need to ask forgiveness but if you are saying that reposting entire emails without first asking the sender if that's okay is perfectly fine, then I disagree. It's common courtesy regardless of legalities.

@shipnc: if there is a way you really should delete the posting you did with the email. What I focused on was not the boilerplate footer from Viking but the private information about YOU - your real name and email address - which should not be shared in a public forum like this at all.

Mr. Pessimism here again with an update. In my post above, I mentioned that the Star was supposed to be towed to a different port by midnight last night (Wednesday) for repairs then to sail for Copenhagen Saturday night.

The towing did not happen and now, according to the rus dot posttimees dot ee the towing itself has been delayed until the 8th.

Again, I have no inside information and I am just speculating, but I think it lends credence to my theory that the Star will not make it to Copenhagen.

Translated article:

Towing a broken Viking Star cruise ship from the port of Tallinn delayed 2

Author: BNS

6. August 2015 10:50

Towing a cruise ship Viking Star, since last Thursday due to engine failure anchored at the port of Tallinn Old City Harbour, once again moved, this time on Saturday.

"According to recent reports, towing Viking Star of the waters Vanasadam postponed to August 8, - he told BNS manager of the Port of Tallinn Triin Room on Thursday morning. - Reasons for the transfer I can not comment. "

Most of the tourists Viking Star on Tuesday left Tallinn private jets.

Cmaasfamily......keep up the helpful insights. We are already in Norway and need to decide if we are going to pull the plug on this cruise, probably by Sat. a.m when the cruise would have started. Obviously we don't want to eat the costs already put into this adventure, but you've got to know when to fold them, too.

chenkp75...or any other person who might know....

What is the latest possible date/time that repairs be completed and the ship underway to Copenhagen, given Viking's first post on this thread that states embarkation will be on the 10th on the adjusted itinerary?

Edited by buggins0402

Dear cmaasfamily, shipnc & buggins0402,

Thank you for your concern about the repair of Viking Star. We did address similar concerns on another thread; however, at the risk of repeating ourselves, we have restated our response below:

The work on Viking Star that commenced last Tuesday continues in Tallinn today. After the needed repairs, the ship will set sail from Tallinn on Saturday, August 8 for an arrival on the morning of August 10, in Copenhagen. Here, guests will board the ship after a hotel stay in Bergen, Norway. We understand the current apprehension among guests who are scheduled to sail on Viking Star’s next cruise, and we are in touch with them to keep them apprised of any developments as they unfold.

Of course, should you have additional questions, please contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Mr. Pessimism here again with an update. In my post above, I mentioned that the Star was supposed to be towed to a different port by midnight last night (Wednesday) for repairs then to sail for Copenhagen Saturday night.

The towing did not happen and now, according to the rus dot posttimees dot ee the towing itself has been delayed until the 8th.

Again, I have no inside information and I am just speculating, but I think it lends credence to my theory that the Star will not make it to Copenhagen.

Translated article:

Towing a broken Viking Star cruise ship from the port of Tallinn delayed 2

Author: BNS

6. August 2015 10:50

Towing a cruise ship Viking Star, since last Thursday due to engine failure anchored at the port of Tallinn Old City Harbour, once again moved, this time on Saturday.

"According to recent reports, towing Viking Star of the waters Vanasadam postponed to August 8, - he told BNS manager of the Port of Tallinn Triin Room on Thursday morning. - Reasons for the transfer I can not comment. "

Most of the tourists Viking Star on Tuesday left Tallinn private jets.

Cmaasfamily......keep up the helpful insights. We are already in Norway and need to decide if we are going to pull the plug on this cruise, probably by Sat. a.m when the cruise would have started. Obviously we don't want to eat the costs already put into this adventure, but you've got to know when to fold them, too.