Port Canaveral as a port of call

Can anyone tell me what terminal Royal Caribbean uses for ships going there as a port of call... trying to figure out if we are going to be able to walk to jetty park... I know some are too far to safely walk but others are close. ?.

Can anyone tell me what terminal Royal Caribbean uses for ships going there as a port of call... trying to figure out if we are going to be able to walk to jetty park... I know some are too far to safely walk but others are close. ?.

If no other RC ships are in port that day, they will likely use terminal 1. If there is another RC ship in port, then they may use a different terminal. Anything other than terminal 1 is too far to walk to Jetty Park.

Edited by clarea

on Sunday July 26,2015. Freedom was in Terminal 1. So Grandeur of the Seas was using Terminal 2 or 3. That is where I see most Royal ship docked when Freedom or Enchantment are at Terminal 1. 2 and 3 are right next to Jetty Park. Here is a video I shot 7-26-15 of Freedom and Grandeur having a little horn battle. I was in Jetty Park itself.

https://vimeo.com/134896292

Edited by BlueSkySailing

Grandeur frequently uses Terminal 2-3. The Port Canaveral web site has a schedule, but it appears to be updated only once a year:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules

see the blue link near the bottom of the page which has the FY15 cruise schedule with terminal assignments. Check that page again sometime after October 1,

Roy

Cocoa Beach is a cute little place if you've never been there.

Which do you guys prefer ... jetty park beach or cocoa beach??? I like the idea of being able to walk back to the ship at anytime if need be

Edited by CandRcruise

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are car rentals or taxis or some form of transportation available when you get to port (as a port of call) I am coming in November on the Carnival Pride and trying to find a way to get around on my own if possible. Thanks!

-Heather

Does anyone know if there are car rentals or taxis or some form of transportation available when you get to port (as a port of call) I am coming in November on the Carnival Pride and trying to find a way to get around on my own if possible. Thanks!

-Heather

There are a number of car rental agencies in the area. Most have free shuttles to the cruise terminal. I would reserve in advance if possible. We've used Avis many times and have been very happy with their service.

See this link for a map of rental agencies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

Edited by clarea

We always book rental cars when we are in Port Canaveral. It is the best way to go especially if you have more than one person. There are a lot of beaches with free parking and you have the freedom to pick up anything you need at the stores.

Well just in case any RCI people read these threads, (which I'm guessing they probably don't), I will add my 2 cents, since I doubt I will ever spend the energy and time to actually call them and say the following:

Yes, I agree with the above, unless going to the space center, waste of a port stop. It's a drivable embarkation port for so many people in the US that I can't imagine going on a cruise with Port Canaveral as a stop. We drove there from DC area, even with Baltimore, and NY/NJ closer, because they had a ship & itinerary we were interested in. Get there a day ahead and see the space center (and/or) beach area on Saturday before embarking on Sunday, IMO.

I do not say this to start any arguments, only to say, I have looked at MANY RCI cruises in the past year, ready to book on a quick getaway, ("shut up and take my money" mentality, literally ready to throw money at the 1st suitable cruse I find), and so often the ones I see available that would work for us date/cost wise, are CoCo Cay & Port Canaveral as ports (not embarkation) - and I say "NOOOOOOO WAY RCI - What are you thinking?! Forget it!"

So for us personally, not to begin an argument, I think the vast number of weeklong cruises I've seen with 2/3 of the stops being CoCo Cay and Port Canaveral, are a waste. RCI could have sold us an additional 2-4 cruises in the past year alone, had they offered something better than this itinerary. This of course is my personal opinion. Not to begin an arguement. I don't see how they will be able to keep up with this particular itinerary in the same cruise, because once you've done Port Canaveral and CoCo Cay once, that's pretty much enough for most people. Don't need to go back.

Again, I just say the above opinions in the rare & unlikely event some RCI person sees it. And yes, it digresses and doesn't answer the OP's question.

OP - It's a very large port/shipyard. I can't see being able to "walk to anything" interesting should you decide to "go it alone" in the shipyard. I do have several photos of the entire shipyard area but I don't know how to upload them. All of the above are my opinions to RCI, not to make you feel badly about the cruise you have booked. If you've never been, it will be something new and interesting for you to fill your day there with.

Edited by LBeeE

Well just in case any RCI people read these threads, (which I'm guessing they probably don't), I will add my 2 cents, since I doubt I will ever spend the energy and time to actually call them and say the following:

Yes, I agree with the above, unless going to the space center, waste of a port stop. It's a drivable embarkation port for so many people in the US that I can't imagine going on a cruise with Port Canaveral as a stop. We drove there from DC area, even with Baltimore, and NY/NJ closer, because they had a ship & itinerary we were interested in. Get there a day ahead and see the space center (and/or) beach area on Saturday before embarking on Sunday, IMO.

I do not say this to start any arguments, only to say, I have looked at MANY RCI cruises in the past year, ready to book on a quick getaway, ("shut up and take my money" mentality, literally ready to throw money at the 1st suitable cruse I find), and so often the ones I see available that would work for us date/cost wise, are CoCo Cay & Port Canaveral as ports (not embarkation) - and I say "NOOOOOOO WAY RCI - What are you thinking?! Forget it!"

So for us personally, not to begin an argument, I think the vast number of weeklong cruises I've seen with 2/3 of the stops being CoCo Cay and Port Canaveral, are a waste. RCI could have sold us an additional 2-4 cruises in the past year alone, had they offered something better than this itinerary. This of course is my personal opinion. Not to begin an arguement. I don't see how they will be able to keep up with this particular itinerary in the same cruise, because once you've done Port Canaveral and CoCo Cay once, that's pretty much enough for most people. Don't need to go back.

Again, I just say the above opinions in the rare & unlikely event some RCI person sees it. And yes, it digresses and doesn't answer the OP's question.

OP - It's a very large port/shipyard. I can't see being able to "walk to anything" interesting should you decide to "go it alone" in the shipyard. I do have several photos of the entire shipyard area but I don't know how to upload them. All of the above are my opinions to RCI, not to make you feel badly about the cruise you have booked. If you've never been, it will be something new and interesting for you to fill your day there with.

If the OP is on Grandeur, it is a easy walk across a parking lot to get to Jetty Park. They also seem to run shuttles over to the Cove area (Grills, Fish Lips, Rusty's, etc..) if you want drinks and a band.

To LB, sorry you're so bitter. I tend to like it here.

To say personally and not to start an argument, I like the Grandeur's itinerary that includes Port Canaveral and Coco Cay…especially when it also has Key West.

Coco Cay is delightful and we've been fortunate to be able to tender there all but 2 times out of about 15.

We've been on so many cruises that we often do not get off the ship in certain ports (Cozumel especially) but we always get off in Port Canaveral and find something enjoyable to do.

Edited by beachnative

Must be something wrong with us as we have been visiting Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach for years and having a wonderful time. Love some of the restaurants in Port C. also seafood markets as we at times go for week or week-end. Looking forward to the arrival of OASIS and already have a cruise booked for 2016 on Oasis.

Sorry you don't share our love of the area. Up the road near Space Center there is a nude beach which some may enjoy not sure of spelling but think it is Playalinda in case anyone cares.

I do agree that most of the itineries from Port C are boring but some of the ships are enjoyable and we just don't bother to get off ship. Having lived in Miami for 25 years have been to Bahamas more times than I can count to that is no draw but a cruise is always relaxing and enjoyable. We mainly sail out of Ft. Lauderdale and occasionally sail from Tampa. Life is about choices.

I LOVE the Cocoa Beach/Pt Canaveral area and am envious of anyone that lives around there. I dont understand the "wasted stop" thing at all :confused: While there isnt a lot to do within walking distance of the ships, a quick taxi ride will have you in Cocoa Beach where there is just as much to do as most port stops in the islands. And I dont have to worry about getting accosted by pushy vendors trying to push their junk on me if I want to go shopping :rolleyes:

No insulting or bitterness was intended. I guess I feel that I would rather pay for a cruise that goes somewhere I can't get to in my car. I guess it depends on where you live and what you have access to in the way of vacations. Due to our location we have easy access to the gorgeous quiet NC beaches every summer. And we do 1-2 beach trips a year. To us, it isn't as appealing to use one of our stops on a Port C area beach, since we've already had the opportunity of a private east coast beach at least 1x a year. We've already done the space center. It guess it's all relative based on where you are coming from and what you are hoping to spend time doing on your vacation. This was not meant to insult Port C, only to say I wouldn't want to use it as a port of call stop for us. However, we do enjoy Port C as an embarkation port since we can drive it in 1 (very long) day. What it sort of seems to us, is that instead of RCI using gas and port fees to take us somewhere exotic we can't drive to, (or afford airfare to), they're swapping instead for Port C, (which has to cost the cruise line considerably less). It's just not an itinerary I would *think* most people with access to east coast beaches would jump to do more than once.

No insulting or bitterness was intended. I guess I feel that I would rather pay for a cruise that goes somewhere I can't get to in my car. I guess it depends on where you live and what you have access to in the way of vacations. Due to our location we have easy access to the gorgeous quiet NC beaches every summer. And we do 1-2 beach trips a year. To us, it isn't as appealing to use one of our stops on a Port C area beach, since we've already had the opportunity of a private east coast beach at least 1x a year. We've already done the space center. It guess it's all relative based on where you are coming from and what you are hoping to spend time doing on your vacation. This was not meant to insult Port C, only to say I wouldn't want to use it as a port of call stop for us. However, we do enjoy Port C as an embarkation port since we can drive it in 1 (very long) day. What it sort of seems to us, is that instead of RCI using gas and port fees to take us somewhere exotic we can't drive to, (or afford airfare to), they're swapping instead for Port C, (which has to cost the cruise line considerably less). It's just not an itinerary I would *think* most people with access to east coast beaches would jump to do more than once.

Just curious, where would you like to stop on a voyage out of Baltimore or New Jersey? The ship only does around 20 knots, not many places to go when you start that far north.

FWIW, this is Cocoa Beach just north of Lori Wilson Park.

1440640834438.jpg.746beffdfc63c4a559a56389a0145445.jpg

1440640922089.jpg.daa80571ef65078e64ebef584426565a.jpg