First time cruising Oceania vs windstar vs azamara

Michaelsbuddy

Thanks for all the replies. We are currently rebooked on Sirena Barcelona to Rome 10 nights aug 19-29

An Internet TA was able to knock $2k off the price. Since newbies at this , just unsure of how this GTY room

oH3 on Sirena works ?

Also. Amy comments regarding Oceania excursions world be appreciated ?

Am I better off on my own ?

I get 4 free excursions via O life

Should excursions be booked in advance or on board?

Yes it is port port port unless of course for Some reason we can't get into one of them

Barcelona

Ibizia

Micora

Valencia

Marseille

Monaco

La Speza

Livorno

Port San stefano

Rome

Thanks for all the replies. We are currently rebooked on Sirena Barcelona to Rome 10 nights aug 19-29

An Internet TA was able to knock $2k off the price. Since newbies at this , just unsure of how this GTY room

oH3 on Sirena works ?

Also. Amy comments regarding Oceania excursions world be appreciated ?

Am I better off on my own ?

I get 4 free excursions via O life

Should excursions be booked in advance or on board?

Yes it is port port port unless of course for Some reason we can't get into one of them

Barcelona

Ibizia

Micora

Valencia

Marseille

Monaco

La Speza

Livorno

Port San stefano

Rome

My TA recommended booking excursions on line and early.

You ight want to get a copy of Rick Steve's Mediterranean Port Guide. Most of your ports will be in there. It will give you an idea of what ports are easy to do on your own, what ports you might want to use the O life excursions and those where you might want to join an excursion set up on your roll call.

Right off the bat with your itinerary, you will probably want excursions in Marseille and Livorno. Cinque Terre is very close to La Spezia, so if you are comfortable negotiating trains/ferries it can be done on your own. From Monaco, there is easy transportation to Nice...it depends what you want to see. Eze is close but difficult by public transportation. St. Paul de Vence is also nice, but a difficult DIY. Antibes is lovely and very easy by train from Monaco.

Valencia is one port where you might consider just staying in port and skipping the excursion.

Also Google Tom's port guides...he has many ports set up with how to instructions on his site. And, of course have a look at CC's ports of Call section.

Edited by buggins0402

Have to disagree Valencia has some of the area's most interesting architecture in the entire area both old and new. It is more than worth a city tour or Take a local tour of the new City of Arts and Sciences Center as well as the Old City. At the city of Arts there are several worthwhile museums including a planetarium and oceanarium.

Have to disagree Valencia has some of the area's most interesting architecture in the entire area both old and new. It is more than worth a city tour or Take a local tour of the new City of Arts and Sciences Center as well as the Old City. At the city of Arts there are several worthwhile museums including a planetarium and oceanarium.

Yes, I meant it was an easy DIY...not to stay on the ship. Its like Barcelona, port is close to the major attraction...the city.

oH3 on Sirena works ?

A GTY cabin you will get whatever is left over

if you like to know where you are sleeping or prone to the motion of the ocean I would ask for a specific cabin ..

I prefer to choose my cabin location

YMMV

The Sirena is pretty small and there are 3 of us so there are t too many cabin choices. I think for PH3 only 2 cabins do TA said we would likely be bumped up to PH2 or PH1 Just as long as I'm not downgraded , we will be fine with whatever cabin choice. GTY does mean that cabin level correct ?

The Sirena is pretty small and there are 3 of us so there are t too many cabin choices. I think for PH3 only 2 cabins do TA said we would likely be bumped up to PH2 or PH1 Just as long as I'm not downgraded , we will be fine with whatever cabin choice. GTY does mean that cabin level correct ?

All the PH's are the same size

the designation PH3 PH 2 PH 1 is the location & price

GTY designation is you will get a PH cabin someplace on the ship

You may get lucky |& get an upsel offer to a VS or OS but not likely :D

I would look at the deck plans & choose a cabin that has room for 3

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/sirena/deck-plans/

Look at the cabins with ** in the box

YMMV

All the PH's are the same size

the designation PH3 PH 2 PH 1 is the location & price

GTY designation is you will get a PH cabin someplace on the ship

You may get lucky |& get an upsel offer to a VS or OS but not likely :D

I would look at the deck plans & choose a cabin that has room for 3

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/sirena/deck-plans/

Look at the cabins with ** in the box

YMMV

Yes I saw the plans and the differences are location. As long as GTY means a penthouse I'm good. Am upsell would be icing on the cake but not counting on it

my two cents - if you are happy to stay in Marseilles and haven't been there before - there is lots to see. Contact Marseilles greeters. They don't give a final confirmation until a few weeks out but we did it and it was fanstastic. We probably lucked out. But we left a huge tip and donation to the foundation.

Their tours are free. They work on donations to the foundation and tips.

We say everything in Marseilles, went on buses, went to intimate neighbourhoods after the key sights and then a lovely typical café (very small) where everyone ate. Food was fantastic. Day was a dream!

Also is it worth the extra $$ to do Oceania exclusive or Oceania choice excursion ?

It is my understanding the O life benefit must be used on standard tours, you don't get a partial credit toward upgrading to exclusive or choice excursions.

Very rarely do we book cruise line excursions and I've never done one with Oceania. Their excursions are laughingly overpriced. Generally a ship excursion is a bus ride to somewhere and you may not care for the time allocation.

You can do better on your own or with a private guide. Look for guided walking tours in your ports. Research each port for what interest you, often you can DIY. We think half the fun is planning what to see and do.

Get involved in your roll call, see if anyone has offered private tours to share. Or set up your own, CC and trip advisor are great sources for private guides and DIY information.

You made a great choice, you will love Oceania.

Your cruise will be wonderful.

Edited by sammiedawg

Their excursions are laughingly overpriced. Generally a ship excursion is a bus ride to somewhere and you may not care for the time allocation.

Actually, I think this is how I will use my included O Life excursions...simply use the bus ride there. We'll skip the tour, see things at our own pace and use public transportation back to the ship.

It will make a Livorno to Lucca, as an example, immensely easier for someone wishing to DIY. Otherwise, it would be shuttle to town center, then taxi or tram to rail station, then rail to Pisa, then switch trains to Lucca. Taxis to the train station at that port are near impossible. Coming back, taxis are usually available at the Livorno train station to the port.

Also, there are a few transportation only tours available, perfect for a DIY'er.

Actually, I think this is how I will use my included O Life excursions...simply use the bus ride there. We'll skip the tour, see things at our own pace and use public transportation back to the ship.

It will make a Livorno to Lucca, as an example, immensely easier for someone wishing to DIY. Otherwise, it would be shuttle to town center, then taxi or tram to rail station, then rail to Pisa, then switch trains to Lucca. Taxis to the train station at that port are near impossible. Coming back, taxis are usually available at the Livorno train station to the port.

Also, there are a few transportation only tours available, perfect for a DIY'er.

Smart you! doing Lucca. It's absolutely enchanting IMO. We really enjoyed our visit there.

Sounds like you have this figured out very well :)

Hi

We sailed Barcelona to Venice with our 18 year old son with a pre stay in Paris .

It was great fun and we enjoyed exploring some of the cities we visited in our youth.

Our last cruise was on a the Celebrity Eclipse in a RS suite and it was a refined enjoyable experience, our next is on Azamara .Most cruises in Europe only have a couple of sea days so effectively your ship is a floating hotel and a lot of the ports a commonly used by both large and smaller vessels .

The big advantage with Europe from our perspective is that young adults at 18 can go out socially to restaurants ,bars and clubs venues with their family members and not feel out of place .

my two cents - if you are happy to stay in Marseilles and haven't been there before - there is lots to see. Contact Marseilles greeters. They don't give a final confirmation until a few weeks out but we did it and it was fanstastic. We probably lucked out. But we left a huge tip and donation to the foundation.

Their tours are free. They work on donations to the foundation and tips.

We say everything in Marseilles, went on buses, went to intimate neighbourhoods after the key sights and then a lovely typical café (very small) where everyone ate. Food was fantastic. Day was a dream!

Thank you so much for this info. Very helpful

It is my understanding the O life benefit must be used on standard tours, you don't get a partial credit toward upgrading to exclusive or choice excursions.

Very rarely do we book cruise line excursions and I've never done one with Oceania. Their excursions are laughingly overpriced. Generally a ship excursion is a bus ride to somewhere and you may not care for the time allocation.

You can do better on your own or with a private guide. Look for guided walking tours in your ports. Research each port for what interest you, often you can DIY. We think half the fun is planning what to see and do.

Get involved in your roll call, see if anyone has offered private tours to share. Or set up your own, CC and trip advisor are great sources for private guides and DIY information.

You made a great choice, you will love Oceania.

Your cruise will be wonderful.

Thank you so much. not sure to do with the included excursions. Bus ride maybe useful I guess Have to so my research. Lots of reading. Good thing I have 11 months