White Pass question

orca lover

When we did the train in 2012, we found outside to be better for photos (avoids reflections of the windows). We had relatively few "car-mates", and those with cameras did a phenomenal job of rotating spots on the back deck so everyone who wanted to take pictures could get any spot/angle they wanted.

One drawback: at least as of 2012, the train did not provide speakers on the front/rear platforms of any of the cars. If you wanted to hear the narration, you had to remain in the car. Even more frustrating, the train staff told us explicitly when they handed out survey cards that there was absolutely no chance of them ever putting speakers there, "because the WP&YR didn't want to put them there". Let's just say that chapped my shiny white something-or-other...and I told them how I felt on the survey card. :)

What side of the train do we want to sit on for the best scenery? Thank you for the answer.
Going back to the original question...

For the segment from Skagway to Fraser... sit on the LEFT side for the vistas. The right side has a mountain side inches from the window. If you do choose to get up from you seat to go outside.... be prepared to lose it.

[YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE]

When we did the train in 2012, we found outside to be better for photos (avoids reflections of the windows). We had relatively few "car-mates", and those with cameras did a phenomenal job of rotating spots on the back deck so everyone who wanted to take pictures could get any spot/angle they wanted.

One drawback: at least as of 2012, the train did not provide speakers on the front/rear platforms of any of the cars. If you wanted to hear the narration, you had to remain in the car. Even more frustrating, the train staff told us explicitly when they handed out survey cards that there was absolutely no chance of them ever putting speakers there, "because the WP&YR didn't want to put them there". Let's just say that chapped my shiny white something-or-other...and I told them how I felt on the survey card. :)

Th lack of speakers 'outside' is irritating but I suppose people would stay out there for long periods if they were there - I know I would have.

Our guide in Skagway said that the railway didn't want them to inform passengers that views were better on the left--but she made sure to emphasize that "People who are afraid of heights should sit on the right, and those who aren't might prefer the left." ;)

Outside between the cars. You just have to be a bit aggressive and when someone tries to push you to take a picture - do not move. I spend most of the trip between the cars.

DON

Don- the vestibules are very small, and it could be more people would like a photo. I think an element of cooperation is necessary, especially with a full car.

For general information- you only have ONE vestibule on each end of your car. You can NOT go car to car like you can on many trains. So, if you have someone being "aggressive" with space, it is going to impact anyone who may just want a few photos.

A far nicer response than suggesting being "aggressive" to hog space. ;)

I agree that the left side (the ship/port area behind you) provides the best views.

Don- the vestibules are very small, and it could be more people would like a photo. I think an element of cooperation is necessary, especially with a full car.

For general information- you only have ONE vestibule on each end of your car. You can NOT go car to car like you can on many trains. So, if you have someone being "aggressive" with space, it is going to impact anyone who may just want a few photos.

I agree. The last time I was on the train, there was a group of people out there the whole trip. They weren't taking pictures, didn't even seem to be looking at the view. They had their backs to the railings, just chatting. I tried going out for photos a couple of times, but by the time I interrupted their conversation and got them to move, it was too late for the shot I wanted.

Please, be respectful of others and do not hog the outside space!

Outside between the cars. You just have to be a bit aggressive and when someone tries to push you to take a picture - do not move. I spend most of the trip between the cars.

DON

Sounds like you might not have gotten a very good grade in the "Plays well with others" category in school. There's limited space out on the deck and it's important (not to mention polite and civil) to share those prime photo op locations with others. Remember, everyone paid for this trip and all want great pics!

DON

you sound very rude to me. you could take some pictures and move out of the way and give others a chance. they paid the same money as you did for the ride. could also say "excuse me I'd like to take a picture" could also be used.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did this tour 2 weeks ago. The left side is definitely the better side, although I received the same response from our Chilkoot Charters guide on the way to the train - that "people who are afraid of heights don't tend to like the left side". I really didn't find the left side to be scary at all - the tracks weren't right on the edge of the cliff, and when they were close, there were usually trees obstructing the view down! :)

I spent the entire 2 hours from Skagway to Fraser on the back platform and therefore missed ALL of the commentary so I couldn't comment on whether it was worth staying inside to hear. The rear platform only had myself and one other couple out the whole time, and in the rare occasion that someone else came out, I kindly gave up my spot on the back left corner - they just took a quick photo and went back inside though. It seemed that more people were asleep inside than enjoying the scenery from any vantage point...

Wherever you are, if you're standing, make sure you are holding onto something or leaning on something - the train is quite bumpy and sways from side to side. I leaned on the railing on the platform the entire time and have many bruises on my leg to show for it!