Disembarking - Breakaway

Squirty27

What time is the first walk off on your own disembarking time?

We hope to arrive at the pier this Sunday for our cruise around 10-10:30. We are driving there with a 12 passenger van. Hubby is starting to get a little "antsy" about finding a parking spot if a lot of people haven't left by that time.

We were able to last year when we arrived at like noon but there weren't many spots left.

Thank you.

Assumed you've already read & checkout all the local/insider's tips to parking at the MCT for your BA sailing this Sunday ... not knowing where you are driving in from with your 12 pax van.

It's generally reasonable to see Express Walkoff being called around 7:30 AM and back in March, we watched from our BA balcony that folks were already up in the rooftop parking, loading luggage & getting ready to drive off the pier (it explained all those who woke up at 5:30 to 6 AM, did earlybird breakfast and then stood in long lines waiting to be among first off @ 7 AM as we're strolling casually for the MDR to get served.

My best guess is that if you aimed to arrived at the pier around 10 AM, most of the disembarked pax would've cleared CBP downstairs & retrieved their parked vehicles and be gone - as the embarking ones begin to arrive to proceed to find their parking spots (and, plenty of it) and worked thru security, check-in and wait for boarding (after 11 AM, maybe 11:30 AM)

Generally, all pax are expected/scheduled to be off the ship before/by 10 AM since it's a busy turnaround day and I know from our 2014 BA sailing, most folks were gone & on their way by 10 AM - even at 8:15 AM as we're vacating our balcony, I've noticed quite a few empty spots in the parking lot & many're the closest to the elevator & entrance. The late arriving vehicles generally parked in the far end of the roof (well into the Hudson River)

But :D :eek: - if the ship arrived / docked late and disembarkation is delayed, then, all assumptions are off ... especially with this fleetwide scheduling adjustments, which many believed to be fuel-saving measures to save NCL money by cruising at slower speed. Alas, it's easy - check the ship's live webcam early on Sunday & GPS coordinates on marine traffic site to see where the ship ism, and adjust arrival/timing accordingly.

We arrived at 10:45AM for our Breakaway cruise last week and had no problem with getting a parking spot on the roof of the terminal. However the traffic getting into the pier was bad. I'm sure there must be a recommended route to avoid some of the traffic and I'll check before I go again.

Bob

Thanks everyone.

We are from Hilton, Ny but will be staying overnight in Mahwah, NJ.

Last year we didn't get there until around 12:30. Our son and his family had 7 pieces of luggage just for them. Hopefully we will be able to park close and maybe find a porter. It was crazy busy.

Will check the web cam on Sunday morning, good idea.

Thanks

BA is usually on her way slowly up the NY Lower Bay by 6 AM & going past the SOL by then, sometimes turning onto the Hudson River by 6:30 and turning into the dock by 7 AM - feel free to check the webcams and/or shipcams (marinetraffic site or harbor cam) & take another short nap for the morning.

Traffic is typically light coming south on Rt. 17 on Sundays - easy drive across the GW Bridge, south on the old West Side Hwy directly to the pier/parking ... here's one of the best set of directions with pictures, in case you missed it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865

Edited by mking8288

Thanks everyone.

We are from Hilton, Ny but will be staying overnight in Mahwah, NJ.

Last year we didn't get there until around 12:30. Our son and his family had 7 pieces of luggage just for them. Hopefully we will be able to park close and maybe find a porter. It was crazy busy.

Will check the web cam on Sunday morning, good idea.

Thanks

In our experiences, we have not found any porters available to take your luggage from the parking area. We had to take it ourselves on the big elevator to the baggage area. To avoid that, you can drop off the baggage first and then drive back around to go to rooftop parking. That way you can take the escalator down to the check-in area.

In our experiences, we have not found any porters available to take your luggage from the parking area. We had to take it ourselves on the big elevator to the baggage area. To avoid that, you can drop off the baggage first and then drive back around to go to rooftop parking. That way you can take the escalator down to the check-in area.

You can, but you can't drop off your luggage and then proceed upstairs to park. You will have to circle around on the streets, which can take a of of time in traffic.

You can, but you can't drop off your luggage and then proceed upstairs to park. You will have to circle around on the streets, which can take a of of time in traffic.
After spending ten minutes in that traffic I didn't want to circle around when I thought it might be even worse. If you are early (By 10AM) it might not be as bad. The main traffic jam was coming up from the South on Route 9A and trying to turn left into the port area.

BA is usually on her way slowly up the NY Lower Bay by 6 AM & going past the SOL by then, sometimes turning onto the Hudson River by 6:30 and turning into the dock by 7 AM - feel free to check the webcams and/or shipcams (marinetraffic site or harbor cam) & take another short nap for the morning.

Traffic is typically light coming south on Rt. 17 on Sundays - easy drive across the GW Bridge, south on the old West Side Hwy directly to the pier/parking ... here's one of the best set of directions with pictures, in case you missed it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865

Sorry I missed these directions, they would have helped.

We had originally intended to arrive for 9:30 check in. Since then we have decided not to do the run for the Vibe. Is there still an advantage of arriving at 9:30 vs 10:30? We already booked the spa pass, so we don't need to worry about that selling out either.

Last year my hubby dropped us off at the pier at 10:30. My son and were boarding by 11:30. Couldn't have been easier.

We plan on doing the same in 85 days :)

P.S. As for disembarking, go to deck 7, AFT, at 9:30 and were picked up on 12th Ave at 10:30.

Have a great cruise!!

~Robin

Edited by meatball_nyc