WOW!!! What a landing!!!

greatam

It was amazing to watch. I just caught a sound bite on TV that said the pilot was actually sort of upset because he was 6 inches off of the center line. And it was his first time ever landing at LAX.

Kudos to that flight crew.

Hello, I agree , great landing. We live here in the area and watched it on TV for quite awhile , he was circling over Catalina and back, he made a fly by at Long Beach airport . We went outside and watched him as he made his approach about 8 minutes out of LAX. He was picture perfect. KUDOS to the crew.

Cori

I watched this as well last night live on TV. It was an incredible landing. Jetblue should be very proud of their crew onboard that plane. That pilot and crew deserve nothing but praise for that landing. Way to go Jetblue!!!!

The onboard TV was switched off before landing - 3, 4 or 10 minutes, depending on which report you believe (if any).

A piece of textbook flying, which the crew deserve many congratulations for - although I don't think we should swallow the "miraculous escape from tragedy" line being peddled by the typically-hysterical media. It would have been a fun flight to be on, considering the low level of risk to everyone on board.

One of the pilots talking on CNN didn't beleive they used foam anymore, since it didn't really do anything. Plus, there was low risk of fire in this case anyway. If the main gear wouldn't go down, they may have used foam.

A pilot I chat with on another board landed on that runway about 7 hours later, and said you couldn't tell anything happenned there earlier. The plane was in a hangar and had a wheel on the nose gear.

I agree with all the previous posts... The crew on that plane did a really great job !

Did anyone noticed that the sparks and flames under the plane seemed to be bigger when the nose gear was passing on the white paint on the runway... If you have a chance to look at that landing again, pay attention to this...

Can anyone explain this phenomenon ?

Alain R.

One reason they did not use foam is, there was only a small chance that the gear would collapse. The grear is pretty strong. Also the pilot needs to see the runway to line up with so he can land the plane.

All Pilots train for this type of landing on all type of planes, you can almost call it a normal type of landing, but it is scary.

I also give kudos the crew of that flight (notice I did not Say JetBlue!). Because of their training they earned their wages for the year. Of course all crews on all flying aricraft earn their wages!

One of the pilots talking on CNN didn't beleive they used foam anymore, since it didn't really do anything. Plus, there was low risk of fire in this case anyway. If the main gear wouldn't go down, they may have used foam.
Two more things: One, it makes it really difficult for the fire/rescue crews to drive on the runway, which may not be a good thing if something were to go wrong during the rollout. Two, where you have an aircraft that cannot use thrust reversers (like this one) it would make it a little more likely that the aircraft would overrun the far end of the runway.

Archived