Authentic Gold Panning Anywhere Near Skagway?

dltodaro2

If there is, no one will be telling you but there is plenty of staged panning. :D

Not exactly the answer I am looking for....I am looking for a vendor that allows you to pan in a river.

Thanks,

Deb

You do know that Skagway didn't have any gold mining? Skagway and Dyea were only the entry ways for the Gold Rush up in Dawson- 500 miles away.

Yes... I did read that in my research. This is the only port I am doing on my own. I have never been to Alaska. Just wanted to know if there was vendor that had a more realistic experience even if staged. I guess the answer is NO! I got it.

Deb

Budget Queen is correct. While Skagway and Dyea are connected to the Klondike gold rush, gold wasn't actually found in either location. Both communities were "jumping off" points for entering the gold fields. So I find gold panning activities in Skagway rather amusing.

The river isn't open for gold panning . Most of them have claims on them that don't allow you to do this .

Thanks for your response. Just was hoping there was something. This was exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Deb

Thanks for your response. Just was hoping there was something. This was exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Deb

You can pan in Gold Creek in Juneau beside the tourists if you have a pan. :D I was showing tourists around last week, and we chatted with a man panning. He had a vial with gold dust that he'd found just that morning. He did say that once he had a little girl find a good sized nugget on her first try, so perhaps beginner's luck is in effect.

You can pan in Gold Creek in Juneau beside the tourists if you have a pan. :D I was showing tourists around last week, and we chatted with a man panning. He had a vial with gold dust that he'd found just that morning. He did say that once he had a little girl find a good sized nugget on her first try, so perhaps beginner's luck is in effect.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into it.

:)Deb

You can pick up a metal gold panning pan at the hardware store in Skagway if you need one. They also have the plastic pans available in lots of other places. I think the pan was around $12-$15. I bought one as a souvenir for my dad.

Edited by goodmud

You can pick up a metal gold panning pan at the hardware store in Skagway if you need one. They also have the plastic pans available in lots of other places. I think the pan was around $12-$15. I bought one as a souvenir for my dad.

I definitely will get one. I think my son will love it. Thanks, Deb

We had a great time at Gold Creek. One place where it is open for panning is right across the creek from the Last Chance Mining Museum which we enjoyed. They have odd hours that it is open so check that. It is also not easy to get to so I would google map it and plan your transportation. There were 6 of us in a rental car. We took our own pans and for excitement had some gold from ebay but we just looked for gold from the creek. Maybe found one teeny tiny flake. If you've never panned before watch some tube about how to do. The one about panning Home Depot Sand "If you want to be the man with Gold in your pan, just get some Home Depot Sand" is a great one to watch for fun.

We had a great time at Gold Creek. One place where it is open for panning is right across the creek from the Last Chance Mining Museum which we enjoyed. They have odd hours that it is open so check that. It is also not easy to get to so I would google map it and plan your transportation. There were 6 of us in a rental car. We took our own pans and for excitement had some gold from ebay but we just looked for gold from the creek. Maybe found one teeny tiny flake. If you've never panned before watch some tube about how to do. The one about panning Home Depot Sand "If you want to be the man with Gold in your pan, just get some Home Depot Sand" is a great one to watch for fun.

Wow! Thanks for the video. Maybe we will get the metal pan in Alaska and gold pan at home with the sand for fun? We are not in the port very long so I think this is a great alternative. Thanks for everyones help!:)

Deb