luggage locks

shaver

The TSA locks are not recognized at foriegn airports and luggage is checked at USA airlines in other countries. If anyone has had a different experience, I'm sure they will post here. Since we drive to the ports in FL, we always lock our suitcases. So, no problem.

We use cable ties rather than locks. Cable ties can be snipped off if inspectors need to open our bags. The cable ties keep zippers from accidentally opening. No locks have ever kept thieves out of any suitcase they wanted to get into. Seeing as so many people now have authority to open all of our luggage outside of our view, locks seem a little silly these days. IMO Anyone who belongs in the bags is going to get into them one way or another---including breaking your locks or zippers. Someone who has bad intentions (theft) is also going to get into your luggage, one way or another.

I agree that anyone who truly wants in your luggage (or house) will get in regardless of any and all safeguards. However, locks are a deterrent and make it harder to get in unnoticed. So we always use locks.

Like KK, we have used the TSA-approved locks for a couple of years and have had no trouble with them ... either in the U.S. or abroad.

I understand there is such a thing as luggage straps that have the TSA approved locking mechanism. Is this correct? And if so, where can I get them?

I looked at the sites blackbird linked, but didn't see what I think I'm talking about.

I have hard-sided luggage and do want to lock it when I have to fly next summer---if for no other reason than I don't want it to pop open!

There is an old saying: Locks are to keep honest people honest, not to stop dishonest people. or something to that effect anyway. Just the same, it's not a problem when embarking on the ship and if you open them for TSA inspectors at US airports, they will lock them when they finish their inspection.

I agree that anyone who truly wants in your luggage (or house) will get in regardless of any and all safeguards. However, locks are a deterrent and make it harder to get in unnoticed. So we always use locks.

Like KK, we have used the TSA-approved locks for a couple of years and have had no trouble with them ... either in the U.S. or abroad.

Right, thiefs are in a hurry and they will go to the easy pieces. Unless you have a sign on your luggage... $10,000 in diamonds Do Not Touch :D:D

Archived