I can't wear heels on formal night

MaiTaiMary

.no one will be looking at your shoes!

Most of us are on the Fashion & Beauty board because we *do* notice what other people are wearing. At the same time, most of us are not *judging* what others are wearing (I admit - I do judge - but never flats on formal night:p Pajamas in the afternoon or side boob in the office - that I judge;) I love to see what people are wearing - People watching is one of my favorite past times!

In any event - no one ever says you have to wear a heel for formal night or any other night. If a flat is what you need, you will find a shoe that fits & feels good and you will get dressed and have a lovely evening:D

Just a reminder - whether you choose a slipper type shoe or a flip flop, you can always add a sparkly shoe ornament to make it look dressier if you choose. But no matter what, just enjoy and don't worry about it!

Edited by Viv0828

I don't bring heels on cruises. There are so many cute flats and sandals that are blingy. I guess I've never associated boats and ships with heels.

I guess it is all about perception, it's a huge liner not a wee sailing boat after all.:D

I don't associate formal dress with flats but if someone has to wear something flat in formal attire it can be as you say cute and blingy.

I hope you find a pair of flats that you love. Whatever you buy just be sure it's what you need so that you don't hurt your knee worse than it is already.

Several years ago, I had a bad fall and hurt my lower back...just three weeks before our cruise. Because my back hurt so bad I couldn't get out to look for flat dressy shoes. So...I ended up changing the dress I was going to wear on formal night to a pair of crushed velvet, wide-legged pants and a tunic top which I wore with...Crocs! Yep...Crocs. I have two pair of ballet-type Crocs that are so very comfortable it's like walking on little pillows. So I dug up a pair of Rhinestone shoe clips that my BFF's mom left to me when she passed and they looked cute and did the job. Crocs last forever and so if I should ever need to...I'll do the same thing again because it worked for me.

Lots of the ladies on this thread have shown you a huge variety of choices and I know you'll find one that suits you. I hope you find what you're looking for and that you have an awesome cruise. Also wishing you a quick recovery and good health.

Edited by mousey

• 2 weeks later...

Not about shoes but anyway try taking turmeric in water for your knee and also cod liver oil. I also have a bad knee and have flat sandals with blingy buckles on them. Can't wear heels at all.i also juice and that really helps. See lots do ladies in flats on formal night. Lots of us just can't do the heels. Good luck.

I hope you find a pair of flats that you love. Whatever you buy just be sure it's what you need so that you don't hurt your knee worse than it is already.

Several years ago, I had a bad fall and hurt my lower back...just three weeks before our cruise. Because my back hurt so bad I couldn't get out to look for flat dressy shoes. So...I ended up changing the dress I was going to wear on formal night to a pair of crushed velvet, wide-legged pants and a tunic top which I wore with...Crocs! Yep...Crocs. I have two pair of ballet-type Crocs that are so very comfortable it's like walking on little pillows. So I dug up a pair of Rhinestone shoe clips that my BFF's mom left to me when she passed and they looked cute and did the job. Crocs last forever and so if I should ever need to...I'll do the same thing again because it worked for me.

Lots of the ladies on this thread have shown you a huge variety of choices and I know you'll find one that suits you. I hope you find what you're looking for and that you have an awesome cruise. Also wishing you a quick recovery and good health.

Mousey, just looked at the Crocs site, and they do have a lot of really cute shoes. My only problem with Crocs is that they're plastic and make my feet sweat a lot. Sweat = slippery. Does that happen to you or is it just me? They are so comfy and cute otherwise.

For ballet style shoes, I wear Keens. Actually I wear Keens for everything, lol. Sturdy shoes for arthritic feet. Love them.

Edited by Sandy Sails

AbsolutelyAudrey.com sells a great selection of shoe clips. So if you find a plain pair of flats, you can turn one pair into a bunch of different shoes! Sometimes I can't wear heels, so I always bring a pair of ballet flats on my cruises in case I need them. Payless has a lot of cute flats that are much more comfortable than designer shoes; some even have padded soles with arch support.

These are very similar to what I've been wearing on my cruises for the last two years. Very comfortable, very inexpensive, and no slippage. They have them in black and beige, too, and they are on sale now for $15:

http://www.payless.com/womens-rhonda-glitter-wedge/76118.html?dwvar_76118_color=silver#prefn1=color&prefv1=Silver&start=12

These are very similar to what I've been wearing on my cruises for the last two years. Very comfortable, very inexpensive, and no slippage. They have them in black and beige, too, and they are on sale now for $15:

http://www.payless.com/womens-rhonda-glitter-wedge/76118.html?dwvar_76118_color=silver#prefn1=color&prefv1=Silver&start=12

LOVE those! Some people call them "formal flip-flops" but WTH, you're on a cruise. They're fancy and comfy. It's always what I wear on formal nights in the Caribbean. Thanks for sharing.

LOVE those! Some people call them "formal flip-flops" but WTH, you're on a cruise. They're fancy and comfy. It's always what I wear on formal nights in the Caribbean. Thanks for sharing.

I absolutely love mine. I've worn them on many, many, many nights of cruising. They are especially good if you get swollen feet. Very dressy looking with pants and long dresses/skirts. Mine have plainer straps, but I might mosey over to my local PSS and see if they have this style in my size. I'd like a pair in black.

I love that brand! (Dex Flex) They are so comfortable! I don't like thongs between my toes but I wonder if you would even feel it on these, as the strap across the foot might keep the thong from touching much, making if feel more like a slide, like in Kino sandals.

• 1 month later...

I was in a car accident almost five years ago and now have to wear a leg brace for the rest of my life.

It is hard not to be bummed since I have to wear tennis shoes with a brace attached to one of my shoes and both had to be built up so there is added height as well. I think about the whole formal attire dress code. Dresses are out for me completely and dress pants will be worn with tennis shoes. And on top of that, my shoes may be white since I only get one pair a year. I have to consider the time beyond the cruise.

I am not feeling sorry for myself but it does put a limit on my wardrobe selection. :cool: Still excited about my first cruise ever. :)

I was in a car accident almost five years ago and now have to wear a leg brace for the rest of my life.

It is hard not to be bummed since I have to wear tennis shoes with a brace attached to one of my shoes and both had to be built up so there is added height as well. I think about the whole formal attire dress code. Dresses are out for me completely and dress pants will be worn with tennis shoes. And on top of that, my shoes may be white since I only get one pair a year. I have to consider the time beyond the cruise.

I am not feeling sorry for myself but it does put a limit on my wardrobe selection. :cool: Still excited about my first cruise ever. :)

Put some blingy shoe clips on those tennies, and have fun!!!

Is it insurance limiting you to one pair? Have you asked the cobbler how much another pair would cost?

No expectation of an answer but it is something to think about.

Could always dress 'from the knees up'. A girlfriend does this all the time.

Hi SadieN, thank you for the suggestion. I will check with my orthopedic doctor and see if I can get another brace for a dressier shoe. Great advice. :):):)

Absolutely check! There are always updates in the bracing world. There may be one out there now that is correct for you that does not require permanent attachment to a single pair of shoes. If not, do not sweat it - go with what you have because you must for an excellent reason. If anyone gives you the "turned up nose" attitude, it is their problem for being so narrow-minded, not you ;)

Very good suggestions here from others

I love SAS shoes from Texas

Walking shoes & sandals

They have very cute silver and bronze very low comfy heals

And they have bling you can add

Walked all over Europe on bad feet without a problem