Brisbane Layover

Qantas moved the departure time for our BNE-AKL flight ahead by 45 minutes which leaves us with an impossible 15 minute connect time when we arrive from LAX:mad:. We booked using AAdvantage miles and American was able to procure ONE seat on the 6 pm flight and is working with Qantas to obtain another. If it comes through, we now have @7 to 8 hours to explore Brisbane:D!

I was thinking about the 10 am Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary Boat trip with Miramar, if we can get there in time with a 7:55 am arrival at BNE. Is this doable? Train or taxi? If not, what might you experts suggest? Low key, because we are likely to be pretty jet-lagged;), thanks!!

Edited by TMLAalum

I'd suggest checking some of the city hotels to see if you can book a day room, say from 9am to 4pm. After arrival catch the train into the city, check in to the hotel and freshen up. Explore the city and the riverside (there is a lovely riverside walking track), have lunch at a nice cafe, then go back to the hotel for a couple of hours rest. Check out and get the train back to the airport.

That way you'll be rested and refreshed for the last leg of your journey, plus walking around outdoors will help with your jet lag.

Edit - The Sofitel is right above Central Station so would probably be the place I'd try first. You'd need to contact the hotel directly regarding a day room, I think.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm not sure i would bother with a hotel as that 6-8 hour layover becomes a lot shorter when you take into account security and immigration.

I would freshen up at the airport and then try to check your bags early for the Auckland leg of the journey. So long as you then have at least 4 hours before being due back at the airport, hop on the Airtrain into the city.

Southbank Parklands and the river area in general will give you a pleasant low key way to spend a few hours. Have a nice lunch, a cool drink and stretch your legs.

I am guessing this will be in January? if so, do bear in mind it will likely be very hot and humid so water, water, water. Especially after a long flight.

Enjoy Brisvegas.

Appreciate all the suggestions...I am hoping that we won't see our checked bags til we arrive in AKL since our flights will all be on one ticket. If Qantas doesn't come through with a seat for my DH (and I even suggested that they could put him in economy if no Business seat was available:rolleyes:), we will likely book Air New Zealand to get us from BNE-AKL. But one would think that since Q made our original itinerary impossible they will come through...fingers X'd!

Glad to know Lone Pine is going to be too much. Train into the city with maybe a river cruise could be relaxing. A day room at the Novotel is a possibility, but I'd like to make lemonade out of lemons to spend time in Brisbane since we may never be there again.

Personally i like the suggestion of freshening up at the airport then train into the city. Forget a day room at an hotel.

Will take about an hour to get through customs etc seeing you are now not transitting to a direct connection, so entry into Australia will now be required.

BTW Make sure you have obtained your online visa .

As an aside, you say Qantas moved your flight by 45 minutes leaving you only 15 minutes. That means you had only a 1 hour layover. That was way too short in any case.

Appreciate all the suggestions...I am hoping that we won't see our checked bags til we arrive in AKL since our flights will all be on one ticket. If Qantas doesn't come through with a seat for my DH (and I even suggested that they could put him in economy if no Business seat was available:rolleyes:), we will likely book Air New Zealand to get us from BNE-AKL. But one would think that since Q made our original itinerary impossible they will come through...fingers X'd!

Glad to know Lone Pine is going to be too much. Train into the city with maybe a river cruise could be relaxing. A day room at the Novotel is a possibility, but I'd like to make lemonade out of lemons to spend time in Brisbane since we may never be there again.

If we ever have a day layover in Brisbane while on a cruise , we ride the Ferry...The Brisbane River Cat.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services/citycat-ferry-terminal-locations

best tour in town. Depending on how you work the day , you could get the cat back to Bretts Wharf ,the one for the cruise terminal at Portside ,and then get a taxi from there to the airport.

DH is now on the 6pm flight in business! We will use luggage storage for our heavy carryons,e.g. his CPAP, take the train to the Southbank and see how we feel. No Lone Pine for us- DD and family were in Brisbane last year and she felt that while it was a great experience for her sons, it was something we could pass on.

If we are energetic, maybe the bridge climb? But the idea of a ferry boat definitely appeals. Must confess that when we arrived in Reykjavik following a short flight from Toronto we used one full circuit of the HoHo bus to catch some zzz's.

Great news about your flight.

The ferry ride is a lovely way to relax - I did it a few years ago with a friend. It was lovely sitting out in the fresh air and sun, and would be a very good way to recharge after the long flight.

Hope you enjoy your brief visit to Brisbane, and your trip (cruise?) to NZ.