A question for experienced Celebrity Cruisers

cruisehabits

Hello all ~

I have been going on cruises for the past 28 years. The vast majority have been with sister line Royal Caribbean. I tend to plan ahead and have looked at a 10 night cruise on Celebrity Equinox for April of 2017.

This would be my first Celebrity cruise. :)

My question is regarding the cabin classes: Veranda, Concierge and Aqua. I have read the little write up blurbs provided on the website. I'm truly looking for a little more insight from the seasoned Celebrity Cruisers that may help me decide which class to book. Are Concierge/Aqua classes much better than Veranda?

Thank you in advance for your insight, response and shared experiences!

Safe travels to all! :)

I believe that, generally, the cabins will all be the same size. Concierge benefits are not worth the extra money. Look at the Aqua benefits and decide for yourself if they are worth it for you.

On the S Class ships there is no difference in room size between a regular veranda and concierge class. Concierge class gives you a foot stool, a bottle of sparkling wine and some savories in the afternoon. Aqua class gives you your own private dining room called Blu which is geared towards clean spa like cuisine. I have been tempted to try Aqua but the rooms tend to be located in the worst part of the ship like under the pool area. If you decide on this category study the deck plans before booking a room. There are some locations that are better than others. You also get all of the perks from concierge class plus tea, bottled water and complimentary access to the Persian Garden and Relaxation Room (Relaxation Room on Solstice Class only).

Edited by Iamcruzin

Ditto what Hancock wrote. On an s-class (Equinox) the cabins are identical. For me access to BLU and Persian Garden with AQ is worth the price difference, only you can decide if those amenities are important to you. Read Some of the many previous threads comparing MDR to BLU, lots of strong opinions about both.

Edit: Not all AQ cabins are under the pool, and not all of those that are have any noise problem. Booking this far out, you will have your choice of cabins, maybe even snagging one with a larger balcony. There is an S-class spreadsheet in the stickies above to help you make sense of the deck plan.

Edited by Janet987

IMO, the only meaningful difference for Concierge cabins has to do with location, which may not matter to you. The rest of the "benefits" promoted are pretty minimal. I would not pay the surcharge again over a standard balcony.

I have not sailed in Aqua, but the key difference is that those staterooms' passengers dine in the restaurant Blu, rather than in the main dining room, which some passengers believe is well worth the higher cost.

The cabins are the same. You need to study what benefits, perceived or otherwise make fiscal sense to you. What anyone else thinks doesn't matter. I have been in all three and I do not feel that unless there is some sort of promotion offered for anything other than a decently located balcony it is not worth the money. Definitely do not spring for the benefit of the cabin delivered afternoon hors d'oeuvres...usually nasty. BLU was just OK. Others will certainly disagree. And that's OK.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Most previous posts provided excellent information. That being said, we have sailed in veranda, concierge, AQUA and suites and are 100% sold on AQUA. We simply love BLU for dining as it is small, intimate and service is normally outstanding. Only you can determine what will make your cruise memorable and what you choose to spend.

We also sail RCCL and have sailed balcony, junior suite and grand suite. The service on Celebrity is far superior as is the food. To me just being able to cruise makes my day.

Sail on.

Hello all ~

I have been going on cruises for the past 28 years. The vast majority have been with sister line Royal Caribbean. I tend to plan ahead and have looked at a 10 night cruise on Celebrity Equinox for April of 2017.

This would be my first Celebrity cruise. :)

My question is regarding the cabin classes: Veranda, Concierge and Aqua. I have read the little write up blurbs provided on the website. I'm truly looking for a little more insight from the seasoned Celebrity Cruisers that may help me decide which class to book. Are Concierge/Aqua classes much better than Veranda?

Thank you in advance for your insight, response and shared experiences!

Safe travels to all! :)

Echo what others have said, I enjoy AQ especially for Blu. Others have referenced S class ships, Equinox is one of them. I would not do Concierge unless price was real good.

Edited by dkjretired

We have twice sailed in AQ on the S class ships. We enjoyed the Persian Garden, liked Blu OK but weren't as excited as some devoted AQ cruisers are. We would book AQ again if the price difference is small. Otherwise, we would probably book a regular veranda cabin and use the savings to book specialty restaurants or even the Ultimate Dining Plan.

While all cabins are the same size, there are differences in the balconies. I would try to book either a 1A or an A1 on the slanted portion. The first and third cabins have the largest balconies (starting the farthest out). I would not book concierge unless it's a negligible cost difference because that's all it's worth. We much prefer Blu to the MDR, so we normally book aqua, however we have cruised so much in aqua on celebrity that we've actually booked 1A cabins on our next couple of cruises because we are tired of the Blu menu which never seems to change. That doesn't mean I don't strongly suggest you book aqua...blu is a far nicer, quieter dining room and the food really is good...it's just tiresome when you eat there on 8 or 9 cruises in 2 years.

Agree with previous posters. I would not pay much more for Aqua; sometimes the difference would cover every night in a specialty restaurant and then some. Blu is overrated by some on this board and is definitely not the same quality food as the SR's

Just to add one additional comment not mentioned so far: the ships are really large and only have two banks of elevators. I have stayed in various locations over the years, but my 'happy place' is a standard veranda cabin right at the mid ship elevators. It makes life extremely easy when you don't have to walk miles down narrow corridors because you forgot your sunscreen, for ex. To be able to step off the elevators, or stairs, and be at my cabin in two shakes is a wonderful benefit to me.

You will also note by looking at the deck plans that the ship are 'indented' both fore and aft. When you have a cabin in those areas, you have a limited range of view from your balcony. When you book at midship, that group of cabins sticks out (known as 'the hump') and you can see both fore and aft from your balcony.

I have found these cabins to be very quiet and highly recommend them.

Here's my take...

The main attraction to Aqua for most is the Blu Restaurant...My wife likes Blu, I am perfectly happy with the Main Dining Room. What usually keeps us out of Aqua is that the price is most often substantially higher.

We've often found ourselves in Concierge...and, this is where it gets a little strange: I find darn little difference between a standard balcony and Concierge...a bottle of cheap champagne in the room we never have the time to drink...a supposedly nicer shower head..."better" shampoo? It's not all that special...

But here is how we've ended up in Concierge 3 or 4 times now: We've initially booked a lower category cabin...the last time, it was a partially obstructed balcony (these are not really all that obstructed and the price is often pretty good)...But, then I monitor prices carefully...and each time we've moved up, we noticed the prices on Concierge or on Concierge guarantees offered later in the calendar to drop--and approach what we were paying for the standard balcony...Once, it even dropped below...Last time, it was under a $100 per cabin difference. If it gets down there, we call Celebrity and make the switch...If it's a guarantee and they assign us to a cabin we don't like, we've been able to switch it to one we do--if it's available and the same category, they'll do it...So, we've always ended up in a C2 Concierge slant cabin...

I think the reason the Concierge rates tend to drop is that people perceive them to be not worth the price differential, so they often don't sell as well...

In any event, what it comes down to for me is "How much does it cost for a bottle of cheap champagne and a few very minor extras...and can I get a better cabin?"

If the cost is minimal, why not?

But, most often, when initially booking, the price differential is NOT worth what you get...

You might also like to consider the "POINTS". If you are building up points for elite and beyond to access those perks, then concierge and aqua give you 5 points per night compared with 3 points for veranda. It all adds up.

Often you may find that extra perks are applied. For example, we are getting the premium drinks package with aqua as opposed to the classic with concierge along with other improved sweeteners. Of course, we are paying for the upgrade with the price difference, but it is a small difference compared to the value of the perks.

Sometimes you may even see that C1 (concierge) costs more than aqua! Go figure. :confused:

Agree with the earlier poster about the poor locations of some aqua class cabins. Choose wisely.

Bruin Steve gives some good advice. I have received some good upgrades from and inside or outside cabin to AQ. I usually book an inside and then am very proactive in checking prices.

Two other points on Aqua Class. First, AQ cabins are for 1 or 2 persons, they do not allow 3 or 4s. Also, if you are in AQ your assigned dining room is Blu, you will not have a space assigned for you in the MDR and anyone not in AQ or a Suite traveling with you may not eat in Blu.

It all comes down to cost on your particular sailing. Have done AQ and loved Blu. Choose a cabin not under the pool and it was great. Booked a Transatlantic with a Concierge Class guarantee because I don't want an obstructed view, can be happy in any of the CC locations and it was cheaper than choosing my location in a standard cabin. The extra savings will allow us to try out up charge dining locations. I too am still open to advice.

Did the 10 day in Aqua on Equinox and loved it. If you like the spa and blu dining this is a great choice as they are included in the price of Aqua cabin. The cabins are same size as the veranda. If blu dining did not appeal to you, I would book a regular veranda and pay for the spa pass, which would probably be cheaper.

Aqua Class gives you all the benefits of the Concierge Class plus the following:

Dining in Blu (my favorite) -- dress is always smart casual, no reservations required but may have a bit of a wait without them

Persian Gardens (heated tile chairs looking out over the ocean on the S class)

Access to the relaxation lounge (another of my personal favorites but obviously not that special for everyone as it is not crowded)

Tea / waters in your room - replaced daily

Aromatherapy in your room (not wild about this)

Priority boarding / dinner seating over concierge

Only rooms that sleep 2 -- so in theory, could have some kids on this deck but it will be mostly couples.

Priority spa appointments

Bathroom amenities (lip balm, facial spray, etc -- if they still offer these -- I love them)

That's all I can think of right off the bat -- but for me, Blu alone is worth it over concierge

PS - the A2 cabins on the Solstice class are better than the A1 cabins

For concierge (and aqua class) --

Champagne in room (bottle)

Tote bag (with leather handles)

Footstool on the balcony (love these!!)

Pillow menu (use this every time)

Afternoon snacks delivered (you can swap this out for something you like better)

In room fruit

Expanded room service menu (quite nice)

Nicer bathrobes, towels, shower head

So, off the top of my head, these are the ones I can think of that impress me.

If AQ is reasonable, I go for that but if not, I am happy as a clam in concierge and then a specialty dining package.

I've been in all 3. Love Aqua for Blu and I we really don't care much for the MDR even with Select Dining. Blu, although not true specialty dining, is much quieter. But, the price has to be right. Next cruise we upgraded to Blu for $100 PP for a 10 night cruise. That is worth it to us.

I am always amazed when someone makes a blanket statement that CC is not worth it. Well when I can get it for the price of an A1 it is totally worth it. Even a bit more is worth it to us. We book CC a lot because the price is usually just a touch above a A1 if at all. I like it because of the footstools. I use the balcony a lot and it is worth a bit more for a footstool. On a sea day I'll spend most of the day out there. Can't get anymore water front than a balcony.

I also like the location as we always get a slanted balcony. Robes and expanded breakfast room service are nicer but that's just an extra benefit. Footstools are the main reason to book CC for me.

Decide what is important to you and go for it.

Enjoy,

Sometimes you may even see that C1 (concierge) costs more than aqua! Go figure. :confused:

My understanding is that C1s are all aft balconies, which are considered by some the best place to be on the ship and so are generally quite pricey.

(I wasn't a huge fan because of the lengthy walk from the elevators and also because of the complete lack of privacy on the balcony.)

Personally, I found the MDR great and from looking at Blu menus, I wouldn't want to be forced to eat there.

Edited by gergles

I've been in all 3. Love Aqua for Blu and I we really don't care much for the MDR even with Select Dining. Blu, although not true specialty dining, is much quieter. But, the price has to be right. Next cruise we upgraded to Blu for $100 PP for a 10 night cruise. That is worth it to us.

I am always amazed when someone makes a blanket statement that CC is not worth it. Well when I can get it for the price of an A1 it is totally worth it. Even a bit more is worth it to us. We book CC a lot because the price is usually just a touch above a A1 if at all. I like it because of the footstools. I use the balcony a lot and it is worth a bit more for a footstool. On a sea day I'll spend most of the day out there. Can't get anymore water front than a balcony.

I also like the location as we always get a slanted balcony. Robes and expanded breakfast room service are nicer but that's just an extra benefit. Footstools are the main reason to book CC for me.

Decide what is important to you and go for it.

Enjoy,

I think you mean 1A. A1 is the top category of Aqua Class.

Aft balconies on S class ships are not much (if any) bigger than a standard verandah. However, on the M class(specifically Infinity and Millenium) the aft balconies are huge and deep...we had 2 chaise lounges, a full size round dining table and 2 chairs) on Infinity. That alone was worth the cost for Concierge level. Just the extras for C level cabins are not anything to write home about. On an S class I'd go for either AQ or a regular verandah midship near the hump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk