Opinion about Caribbean Cruise

Ricktan

Okay, I'm a little bummed! Due to several reasons, it has been decided that my husband's prized heifer has to be AI'd the very week that we have our Dec cruise booked. (Hey, even I couldn't make this reason up:eek:). So, looking at the different routes, I'm thinking about pushing it into Feb since it will be a nice break from a bleak time of time and at least the '16 cruises have the Explore4! My question.....on the Eastern Caribbean, one stops in St Maarten, the other one in St Thomas......I've never been to either. Can't see much difference besides that so would love some opinions as to wether I should choose one over the other. :)

Having been to both, I would say that each has its charms, but most people will favor St. Maarten. You can find things to do in both ports. Do some research on TripAdvisor to find activities. Otherwise, you wind up with the "walking around, shopping" experience, and that can get old quickly.

Having been to both, I would say that each has its charms, but most people will favor St. Maarten. You can find things to do in both ports. Do some research on TripAdvisor to find activities. Otherwise, you wind up with the "walking around, shopping" experience, and that can get old quickly.

Agree. Having been to both numerous times it's really a toss up to me. Maybe St Maarten might have a slight edge but that's because we've been to St Thomas more than any other port in the Caribbean and have pretty well exhausted our options there.

Really prefer St Maarten--- many things to do -- two countries for the price of one -- I've stayed for a week in St Maarten -- had a great time. Many things available for day trips. Unlike others, I would take a HAL excursion -- mostly because the traffic can be horrendous, particularly coming back from the French side.

St. Thomas has lost it's allure.

We had this choice to make last winter and we chose St Maarten.

DH has a limited tolerance for beach days, so I wanted places that have some "content." Check to see if your cruise offers the tour "Art Around the Island." It was fantastic. You get a scenic drive around the island, some history and local info, and a chance to see the work of some local artists on both sides of the island. There is no hard sell, it's very relaxed. They use small buses so you aren't going around with 40 other people. More like 20? And if you're looking for a souvenir, there were small prints available at reasonable prices at some of the stops.

Both ports offer lots of shopping, and both can be crowded. Check one of the websites that shows cruise schedules (I use whatsinport) and see where you will dock and how crowded these two places will be.

St Maarten has America Cup Racing as an excursion. You are on one of two older AC sailboats and learn to sail them under the tutelage of their crew. You then have the opportunity to race against the other boat. Worth the price!

This actually sounds awesome!

I've been to St Thomas 3 times a and St Maarten twice. Both have good shopping downtown. The water taxi to St Maarten to downtown is pretty fun. There is also a beach right there downtown St Maarten. ALSO St Maarten SEEMS to be a little bit cleaner and maybe more modern.

St Thomas probably has better shopping right at the port. Also…a ferry and tour to St John is a really nice excursion. St Thomas is definitely prettier coming into port and while in port from the ship.

You could probably get by just by flipping a coin.

Are all other ports the same on the cruises you are comparing? Also…if I can get THE cabin I like sometimes helps push me in one direction or the other.

You might want to check how many ships will be in each port during your stops, as that can have a huge influence on how hectic things are. Cruisett com is one website where you can find out info on ships in port.

I have been to each only once, but between the two, I preferred St Maarten, largely because of the airport and plane watching at the beach (see video on my blog)...

In St. Thomas, we had a great time, and sailed to St. John and snorkeled around (video on my blog also)... But for me, the airplanes win.

Either one is a lot of fun. I cannot comment as to taking or not taking the ship excursions, as I have only once thus far in our cruise adventures.

Enjoy yourself! And ...um... you're correct... I don't think you can make up that particular excuse if you tried.

I will be blunt. We actually liked neither: St Thomas or St Maartan but would pick St Maartan as the better of the two. St Thomas is over-developed for tourism "duty free" shopping and is a huge cruise ship port.

St Maartan is lesser developed, with and easier access to a hot, exposed beach with standard tourist shopping and dining offerings. Neither had any unique appeal for us on their own. In our mind, each port requires a shore excursion to get away from them as far as possible.

To help decide look at the shore excursions both have to offer and see if anything makes or breaks this decision. If you can get to St John's Island from St Thomas, this would be a plus. In St Maartan, the trip to St Martin - French side was of a little more marginal interest, with some history.

Edited by OlsSalt

I agree, St. Maarten's is more interesting. The Art around the island is really nice, bus was 20 and tour guide excellent. The artists are very different and the art is reasonable priced ($20 for a small print to ?). They will drop you off downtown and you can either walk or take the water taxi back to the ship.

If you do chose this excursion, make sure you book before you board, as it sells out very quickly. In fact they added a second bus that went a different route, and it was sold out before the cruise began. My friend was on the wait list but no one changed their mind.

Edited by mjjden

Okay, I'm a little bummed! Due to several reasons, it has been decided that my husband's prized heifer has to be AI'd the very week that we have our Dec cruise booked. (Hey, even I couldn't make this reason up:eek:). So, looking at the different routes, I'm thinking about pushing it into Feb since it will be a nice break from a bleak time of time and at least the '16 cruises have the Explore4! My question.....on the Eastern Caribbean, one stops in St Maarten, the other one in St Thomas......I've never been to either. Can't see much difference besides that so would love some opinions as to wether I should choose one over the other. :)

I guess it really depends on what you'd like to do. If shopping is important, St. Thomas is the winner. Both have lots of nice beaches.

WE LOVE THE BEVERAGE package. We aren't big drinkers, but on vacation, we love the freedom of trying new drinks, having specialty coffees, drinks before dinner, wine, etc. etc. without thinking or tallying up the cost in our heads. It's a real bonus to us and a real asset to a booking.

Have been to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas several times. I like St. Thomas much better than St. Maarten for scenery. (could care less if I never go shopping again) And the big bonus about St. Thomas, you can go to St. John which is a U.S. National Park and we feel it is second in beauty only to Bora Bora and Moorea.

You might want to check how many ships will be in each port during your stops, as that can have a huge influence on how hectic things are. Cruisett com is one website where you can find out info on ships in port.

Never thought of that but sounds like a great idea......I will do that today.

We have been to both islands. Most of our excursions involved boating or beaching. The America's Cup Regatta in St. Marteen was really enjoyable, a very unique experience! The Golden Eagle Catamaran Tour was fabulous, have repeated it several times and it is a highlight of our cruise. St. Thomas has a great trip to St. John via boat, then a bus takes you to Trunk Bay, which is so beautiful.

So those are my highlights for each island. I have never shopped there, so can't speak to that. Have fun deciding!

I have been to each only once, but between the two, I preferred St Maarten, largely because of the airport and plane watching at the beach (see video on my blog)...

In St. Thomas, we had a great time, and sailed to St. John and snorkeled around (video on my blog also)... But for me, the airplanes win.

Either one is a lot of fun. I cannot comment as to taking or not taking the ship excursions, as I have only once thus far in our cruise adventures.

Enjoy yourself! And ...um... you're correct... I don't think you can make up that particular excuse if you tried.

Really cool video! I enjoyed lots of the other ones, as well. Trust me, I tell my DH all the time, only in the cattle world can a cow's breeding schedule dictate a humans vacation schedule!!:D

I guess it really depends on what you'd like to do. If shopping is important, St. Thomas is the winner. Both have lots of nice beaches.

WE LOVE THE BEVERAGE package. We aren't big drinkers, but on vacation, we love the freedom of trying new drinks, having specialty coffees, drinks before dinner, wine, etc. etc. without thinking or tallying up the cost in our heads. It's a real bonus to us and a real asset to a booking.

Thank you! I, too, know think the SBP is a plus for us! I love the idea of trying without the worry of paying! (Yes, I do understand that I'm paying but since it's all over by the time I cruise, I don't care anymore! :))

Have visited both a number of times; have done cultural sightseeing, shopping, etc. bith places.

But for us, the big draw of the Caribbean is the reefs. So out of USVI, we've snorkeled St John/Trunk Bay a couple of times, several times the wreck at Buck Island & other sites (don't confuse it with the Buck Island off St Croix, though both are marine preserves). St John is a long trip, first from Havensight in Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook at the other end of the island, then ferry to St John, then bus/taxi to Trunk Bay (or Honeymoon beach or wherever). And ditto the return trip. If you want to stay on St Thomas, Sapphire Beach is nice & has snorkeling among the rocks at the end. (Coki Beach: Tourist World.)

In Sint Maarten/St Martin (it's Dutch & French), we like the French side. There are several marine preserves. At least 2 of these require a private tour by small boat (we like Capt Alan); the islands in these reefs are uninhabited. Lovely & peaceful (except for the exciting fast boat ride). We've seen octopi, etc., nobody kicking you in the face or trying to herd you along. The French side also has a butterfly house, a nude beach, shopping... Several resorts & many private resort homes. The Dutch side has better shopping, we've heard. But generally wilder, goats in the road, some poverty, etc. In addition to the sail races: for thrill seekers, there's a beach directly under the flight path of the planes.

If you like to snorkel, than STT is an excellent port. There are still a few six-pack sailboats that you can charter. It runs about $80/pp or a little less than $500 for the boat. It's your own private charter that way, and you can go where it's best. We've been chartering captained sailboats for about 14 years, and I highly recommend it.

Six-pack refers to the captain's license that allows 6 passengers. It has nothing to do with beer. (Although beer, water, snacks, and rum punch are usually provided.)

We've been to both several times and much prefer St. Thomas. It is much prettier especially if you take trips to Magens Bay or go over to St. John and see Trunk Bay. Snorkeling is awesome around St. Thomas. We've also spent a week there at a resort and found lots of fun things to do. Shopping was fun the first time we were there, but now we avoid the downtown area if there are lots of cruise ships in port. Dh likes to golf there, too.

We have never had a good experience in St. Maarten. We experienced terrible traffic jams that detoured our bus for far too long plus we saw raw sewage along the streets, beaches that are not as pretty as St. Thomas, and the people just aren't friendly. This is just my opinion, but we didn't even get off the ship the last time we docked in St. Maarten. Obviously, others have had better experiences than us.

We've been to both multiple times and we've enjoyed both. St. Maarten offers greater variety, but you can't beat some of the excursions on St. Thomas. As is usually the case, it all depends on what you like to do. Look at the ports board and Trip Advisor and base your decision on what's available and what appeals to you.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time, so pick one and don't stress out over it! :)