Booking on board?

3rdGenCunarder

Reduced deposit and OBC, depending on cabin and length of cruise. To me, if you plan on taking a HAL cruise within the next 4 yrs., it's a no brainer.

Roz

We have done it on board, and of course, that's what the Future Cruise Consultant on board wants you to do, but we have recently decided it's better to just purchase a few $100 future cruise deposits, and make use of them to book within the "Welcome Home" (60-day?) period and then you get an extra OBC for that ZPM promo. If you just buy the future cruise deposits, you can pick up a form at the FCC's desk, and drop it off later, and the FCD's are returned to your stateroom.

There may well be an advantage to purchasing a Future Cruise Deposit and then booking an actual cruise when you get home. You should get a "Thank you for sailing HAL" email with a "ZPM" code that you can combine with the benefits of your future cruise deposit for additional OBC.

The default is that your FCD will be sent to the same source that booked your current cruise. You can ask to have it assigned to you and transferred to any TA later on, but the default is it will be sent to the TA used for the cruise you are on.

It used to be that a $100 deposit covered any voyage except a grand voyage. Now the scale slides based on the length of the cruise. Since my last cruise I've used 2 FCD's. For my 10-day Konigsdam cruise the $100 covered my full deposit. When I booked 32 days on the Zaandam, I had to put down an additional $200 deposit.

I think for a Grand Voyage you have to book a specific voyage, although you can change it later.

Roy

We have done it on board, and of course, that's what the Future Cruise Consultant on board wants you to do, but we have recently decided it's better to just purchase a few $100 future cruise deposits, and make use of them to book within the "Welcome Home" (60-day?) period and then you get an extra OBC for that ZPM promo. If you just buy the future cruise deposits, you can pick up a form at the FCC's desk, and drop it off later, and the FCD's are returned to your stateroom.

IMO, this is the best way to do it, as you get the ZPM promotion (extra OBC) in an email from HAL in about 2 weeks after you get home. Even if you do not get the email, just tell your TA (or PCC) to use promo ZPM (you are supposed to book within 2 months).

If you want to change TAs from your current one, just note that on the sheet you fill out onboard to get the Future Cruise Deposits (FCD).

I'm kicking myself for not booking onboard. The 2016 cruise we considered onboard is now almost twice what we could have locked in. Big mistake on our part!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A couple of observations -

1. The last two times I purchased a FCD I was told, and it turned out to be true, that Deposits do not default to the agency you used to book the current cruise, however, if you book a specific cruise it will go to the same agency (or PCC or general reservations) that you used to book the cruise you are on.

2. While it is true that the $100 no longer covers the deposit on any cruise, you can purchase only $100 FCDs and when you actually book the cruise you will have to pay the additional (but lower) deposit that the FCD program requires. You then get all the benefits as if you had purchased the higher FCD on board.

I'm not looking to make an open booking. There's a specific cruise I'm looking at. That cruise is listed now with the explore 4 package, and if I get a suite, I get some OBC. Will I be able to combine the explore 4 OBC and the onboard booking OBC?

I know people say the price goes up when the explore 4 goes on, but last winter, our cruise did not go down in price when the explore 4 promo ended.

I'm not looking to make an open booking. There's a specific cruise I'm looking at. That cruise is listed now with the explore 4 package, and if I get a suite, I get some OBC. Will I be able to combine the explore 4 OBC and the onboard booking OBC?

I know people say the price goes up when the explore 4 goes on, but last winter, our cruise did not go down in price when the explore 4 promo ended.

Yes, you can combine the two. Plus you can combine the ZPM promotion!

In most cases, the price goes up with Explore4 added. However, it does not always come back down afterwards, as it depends on how well the cruise is selling.

Yes, you can combine the two. Plus you can combine the ZPM promotion!

She can't add the ZPM if she books the cruise on board, which is what her post says she wants to do.

The ZPM can only be added if she purchases an open booking, then books the cruise after she returns home, within the allowed time frame.

She can't add the ZPM if she books the cruise on board, which is what her post says she wants to do.

The ZPM can only be added if she purchases an open booking, then books the cruise after she returns home, within the allowed time frame.

I booked our October cruise while on Zuiderdam in March,and then had the ZPM credit of $150pp added when we received the Welcome Back letter after we had returned home.

I booked our October cruise while on Zuiderdam in March,and then had the ZPM credit of $150pp added when we received the Welcome Back letter after we had returned home.

That's very interesting. Did you do it through a travel agent, or directly with HAL?

That's very interesting. Did you do it through a travel agent, or directly with HAL?

I had the HAL future cruise consultant book it and then sent my TA the booking # and she took it over while we were still on the ship.When the Welcome Back letter came,I forwarded it to our TA and the credit was added.I questioned the consultant on the ship as to the ability of adding the ZPM at the time of booking ,and she assured me that it could be done after we arrived home and received the email.It worked as advertised.

That's great. So, it means if you do have a specific cruise in mind to book on board, and it happens to be on sale or have a special promotion (like explore4) you can seize the opportunity, and still get the extra OBC when you get home. I will remember that!

But maybe but maybe buy a few FCDs as well....:D

That's great. So, it means if you do have a specific cruise in mind to book on board, and it happens to be on sale or have a special promotion (like explore4) you can seize the opportunity, and still get the extra OBC when you get home. I will remember that!

But maybe but maybe buy a few FCDs as well....:D

We also made some future deposits.I can't imagine that HAL ever denied anyone the credit because they booked while still aboard.If that was the case,they wouldn't need the consultant as everyone would wait till they were back home to book.

If that was the case,they wouldn't need the consultant as everyone would wait till they were back home to book.

That's not necessarily true.

If I'm planning a cruise, I want to book it while the cabin I want is available. I'm not about to take the chance that it could be gone by the time I get home.

That means if I don't have a Future Cruise Deposit on file, and it's time to book a cruise, I won't wait until I'm aboard. And if I am on board when a plan comes together, I won't wait until I am home.

I've never been able to add the ZPM after I got home from a cruise when I booked while aboard.

That's not necessarily true.

If I'm planning a cruise, I want to book it while the cabin I want is available. I'm not about to take the chance that it could be gone by the time I get home.

That means if I don't have a Future Cruise Deposit on file, and it's time to book a cruise, I won't wait until I'm aboard. And if I am on board when a plan comes together, I won't wait until I am home.

I've never been able to add the ZPM after I got home from a cruise when I booked while aboard.

I actually,I also did it last year too.All I can suggest is that you get a better TA.JMHO!

I actually,I also did it last year too.All I can suggest is that you get a better TA.JMHO!

This is one tough thing about offering advice about HAL programs - things vary alot by ship and TA/PCC. It just shows that you have to do alot of research and ask/ask/ask to get what is available.

This is one tough thing about offering advice about HAL programs - things vary alot by ship and TA/PCC. It just shows that you have to do alot of research and ask/ask/ask to get what is available.

If HAL would have denied the ZPM I would have just cancelled and immediately rebooked the same cabin and gotten the credit.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you're on a LONG cruise that ends AFTER the explore 4 promo expires, want to book a specific cruise while onboard to get the extra OBC and take advantage of the explore 4 promo. How would you work it to also get the welcome home promo? Would that even be possible?