Breakaway with a toddler

We are going on the Breakaway in the end of August. Our youngest child is only 2 years old. I am getting nervous about what and where she can go on the boat. I heard she is not allowed in the kids pool or the aqua park, b/c she is not toilet trained yet. Has anyone traveled with a child this young on this ship? Do you have any advice? Has anyone done the mommy and me activities in the kids program with their toddler?

She can go almost anywhere! Find a quiet deck and let her run up and down it. The playroom will be open at certain times and she can play with 'new' toys. It sounds like you are stressing, DON'T! It will all be fine. Just don't bring a large stroller, an umbrella stroller will be the best as the hallways aren't wide, it also won't take a lot of room in the dining rooms if she falls asleep while you're having dinner.

We just returned from the BA on 8/9- without a toddler. However, we did look around for toddler "ideas" because we're going back to Bermuda in September with our 15 month old granddaughter (on another ship).

As already mentioned, leave the big stroller at home! Our cruise was full- with many families and kids of all ages. Your cruise may not have as many teens running around since many schools will have started, but expect a crowded ship with narrow walkways in many public areas.

On deck 16 (foreword elevators), there is an indoor play area for toddlers (I think it said 6 months to 3 years?). It's right by the elevators. I don't know if the door is ever locked.

We're taking a small, blow-up pool to use as a quick play area for our GD on our balcony as well as to bathe her. The BA doesn't have a pool area for kids in diapers, but I did notice some very young kids in the "water park" area who were so young I would be surprised if they were completely toilet trained.

Once you get to Bermuda (I assume that's your destination), you won't need a car seat on a bus, ferry or taxi. Some beaches are better suited to toddlers (such as Tobacco Bay Beach), but even Horseshoe Bay Beach will be OK since the waves, while looking large, were very gentle. Many kids were having fun playing at the water's edge, digging in the sand, etc. This could change if there's a large storm at sea.

We had planned on spending a day at the man-made beach at the dockyard (Snorkel Park- a fee), but several parents warned us that the beach is rocky, and kids should have water shoes on at all times (in and out of the water). Our GD doesn't like shoes! Rather than struggle with her to keep them on, we'll skip that beach. However, right outside of the entrance to Snorkel Park, there is a free play area. For toddlers, there is one swing with a bucket style seat (several strap seats for older kids) and a water play area- water spurting out of the ground (concrete)- I think our GD will love this! (There is a climbing area for older kids) I didn't notice much shade right there, though. By the end of the week, I saw several very young kids with red faces, arms, etc. Even under an umbrella or hat, the reflected sun can burn.

Have you checked out the Family cruise area on Cruise Critic? You might get more ideas there.

Not going to the pool won't really be an issue...if they don't see it, they won't be wanting it!

A blow-up tub is what you want...perfect for bathing (if you child won't do a shower) and for splashing on deck, if YOU want to be at the pool!

Do consider the dining rooms for meals...much easier to be served than dealing with a child at a buffet!

I disagree about taking your 2 year old into the dining room. We cruised with our young grandchildren. The service in the dining room was much too slow for children. Menu, ordering, time between courses, how to keep children amused?

Buffet worked out better. OR if you can let the wait staff know you want faster service and maybe all courses brought at once. Just sayin . . .

I disagree about taking your 2 year old into the dining room. We cruised with our young grandchildren. The service in the dining room was much too slow for children. Menu, ordering, time between courses, how to keep children amused?

Buffet worked out better. OR if you can let the wait staff know you want faster service and maybe all courses brought at once. Just sayin . . .

What if the buffet sucks?

The BA doesn't have a pool area for kids in diapers, but I did notice some very young kids in the "water park" area who were so young I would be surprised if they were completely toilet trained.

Had to smile at this. I've just finished potty training my two year old who is teeny teeny tiny and I wondered if I might get some questions/looks from people at the pool on our next cruise! :)

It wasn't the Breakaway, but last year we cruised with our just turned 2 year old. The pools weren't an issue and he just didn't go in them, so had no idea it was not an option. Our older son swam. The little guy got to swim in port. No big deal.

We walked around a lot with him in his umbrella stroller. He also enjoyed walking up and down the stairs with us. We had a good sized cabin and balcony on Carnival so we had a bit of room for him to play away from everyone. He was old enough for the kid's camp on Carnival, but only lasted about an hour the first time and wanted no part of it after that. We tried the dining room a couple times, but it did not work out for us as it took way too long. We ate most meals at the buffet, which was fine with us anyway.

Had to smile at this. I've just finished potty training my two year old who is teeny teeny tiny and I wondered if I might get some questions/looks from people at the pool on our next cruise! :)

I agree it's hard to know actual ages (my granddaughter is wearing size 24 months at 14 months). But a few in that pool area weren't even walking yet. I just couldn't imagine toilet training a child who can't yet walk to the toilet. I guess it can be done, though.

Re the Buffet on the BA: We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food at the buffet. We always found a table without too much trouble (except the last morning when everyone wants to eat at the same time before disembarking). But I just now realize that I never saw any booster seats or high chairs. I'm not saying that NCL doesn't have them; I just don't remember seeing them.