Celebrity, you have to be kidding

ghstudio

Can't find the long thread on this....but I just checked a cruise on a major internet TA site. The site lists options for a C1 cabin as follow:

Cruise with FREE Drink Package $4,351 (ea) $8,702 (cabin)

Cruise with Free Drink Package

and $300 cabin credit $4,531 (ea) $9,062 (cabin)

How can Celebrity, in good conscience, charge $350 for a $300 credit?

Yes, I do understand the new packages and how they work better or worse on long or short cruises......but when TA's start to advertise, highlighting the stupidity of some of the situations, I think Celebrity probably should care....if for nothing else, so they don't look like they are insulting passengers intelligence.

The bean counters are using modern math. Not everybody is proficient in this new-fangled ciphering....

I have NO cruises planned beyond OCT 2016; I can either wait or go elsewhere. I'm the equivalent of Elite (or better) on most of the desirable cruise lines.

Here come another 50 pages of beating the dead horse!

With the same group of complainers who always sniff out posts like these and use them to launch more criticisms. I have a hard time understanding why some of these people cruise with Celebrity if all they they do is focus on it's flaws.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I think we all know the in's and out's of the new program. My surprise was that a major TA was putting some of the logical non-choices on their site. Celebrity really should try to catch these sorts of things and suggest to their TA's, at least the major ones, that they not put "silly" choices on their web sites. It's probably not easy since the prices are automated and don't include any logic that says "if the cruise is under 10 days, don't show this option.....but maybe there's a set of suggestions Celebrity could give them and some could figure out how to implement the new pricing so it looks like it's a good deal (and it is, in many cases).

Me, I'd look for a different TA, if they can't represent reasonable deals to their clients, and automate the whole thing, I'd rather be a name than an automated transaction.

I don't even bother searching "big box" ones anymore, my personalized TA seems to offer all they do, so as a Loyalist, I trust her and work with her exclusively.

I think we all know the in's and out's of the new program. My surprise was that a major TA was putting some of the logical non-choices on their site. Celebrity really should try to catch these sorts of things and suggest to their TA's, at least the major ones, that they not put "silly" choices on their web sites. It's probably not easy since the prices are automated and don't include any logic that says "if the cruise is under 10 days, don't show this option.....but maybe there's a set of suggestions Celebrity could give them and some could figure out how to implement the new pricing so it looks like it's a good deal (and it is, in many cases).

The TA's should offer

Cruise with FREE OBC of $300 for $4,351

Cruise with FREE OBC of $300 and Free Bev Pack for $4,531

Bev package for $350 is a steal:D

Can't find the long thread on this....but I just checked a cruise on a major internet TA site. The site lists options for a C1 cabin as follow:

Yes, I do understand the new packages and how they work better or worse on long or short cruises......but when TA's start to advertise, highlighting the stupidity of some of the situations, I think Celebrity probably should care....if for nothing else, so they don't look like they are insulting passengers intelligence.

You see something inconsistent on a TA's website, and you automatically jump on Celebrity for it. How do you know it isn't the TA's screw up?

Oh, wait. It's more satisfying to bitch about Celebrity than check the facts. :rolleyes:

You see something inconsistent on a TA's website, and you automatically jump on Celebrity for it. How do you know it isn't the TA's screw up?

Oh, wait. It's more satisfying to bitch about Celebrity than check the facts. :rolleyes:

It's Celebrity with their goofy pricing. The pricing that makes no sense is on Celebrity's website.

We just booked a cruise. If we added the Better, we would have paid $330 for a $300 OBC or $285 of Gratuities. Our TA advised us to just take the basic Big price. It would have been even more ludicrous for us to go up to the next level. Many of the TAs have this figured out.

Celebrity's pricing is an insult to our intelligence.

It's Celebrity with their goofy pricing. The pricing that makes no sense is on Celebrity's website.

We just booked a cruise. If we added the Better, we would have paid $330 for a $300 OBC or $285 of Gratuities. Our TA advised us to just take the basic Big price. It would have been even more ludicrous for us to go up to the next level. Many of the TAs have this figured out.

Celebrity's pricing is an insult to our intelligence.

Generally speaking, especially for people to whom internet is important, the Go best plan can be advantageous. For long cruises go Bigger is good if you take gratuities and are in a Concierge or better cabin.

Everyone needs to do their own math and decide what works or doesn't work for them. Celebrity isn't in the business of teaching math and spoon feeding people. They are in the business of taking our money.

I like having options and choices, and am very Capable of doing the easy math required to determine which package works. For some of my cruises, Go big and Go best are good and I'd be a fool to take go better. But if on a 14 day cruise in concierge, go better saves me $26.

All promotions and perks are not going to suit the needs of all people and circumstances.

Like when people would complain that they don't drink so the drink package was worthless with 123, but the gratuities weren't as valuable as the beverages so celebrity was screwing them.

Book go Big and be done with it, forget better and best exist, or do math and see if it works.

I'll do the math and see what works, just as when I explore resident rates, and seek group bookings and make last minute cabin changes and have to consider the value of lost perks versus savings on reduced fares.

It's only an insult to our intelligence, if we aren't intelligent enough to do the 3rd grade arithmetic.

Edited by cle-guy

Generally speaking, especially for people to whom internet is important, the Go best plan can be advantageous. For long cruises go Bigger is good if you take gratuities and are in a Concierge or better cabin.

Everyone needs to do their own math and decide what works or doesn't work for them. Celebrity isn't in the business of teaching math and spoon feeding people. They are in the business of taking our money.

I like having options and choices, and am very Capable of doing the easy math required to determine which package works. For some of my cruises, Go big and Go best are good and I'd be a fool to take go better. But if on a 14 day cruise in concierge, go better saves me $26.

All promotions and perks are not going to suit the needs of all people and circumstances.

Like when people would complain that they don't drink so the drink package was worthless with 123, but the gratuities weren't as valuable as the beverages so celebrity was screwing them.

Book go Big and be done with it, forget better and best exist, or do math and see if it works.

I'll do the math and see what works, just as when I explore resident rates, and seek group bookings and make last minute cabin changes and have to consider the value of lost perks versus savings on reduced fares.

It's only an insult to our intelligence, if we aren't intelligent enough to do the 3rd grade arithmetic.

It should be very easy for Celebrity to program their pricing to make Go Better and Go Best a worthwhile choice in all instances. If each of those was programmed to offer a small discount on the actual value of gratuities based on the number of nights, it would be a smart marketing tool. As it computes currently, it is an insult to our intelligence!

With the same group of complainers who always sniff out posts like these and use them to launch more criticisms. I have a hard time understanding why some of these people cruise with Celebrity if all they they do is focus on it's flaws.

Should we make a sister-website called "cruisepraise"? While we're on "cruisecritic", people are going to have opinions.

This is no different than reading movie reviews, and saying "I have a hard time understanding why some of these people continue to watch Universal Pictures, if all they they do is focus on it's flaws."

Anyways, I blame this on Fain with all the games they're playing with the RCL brand. I'm sure Azamara will be the next in line.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Should we make a sister-website called "cruisepraise"? While we're on "cruisecritic", people are going to have opinions.

This is no different than reading movie reviews, and saying "I have a hard time understanding why some of these people continue to watch Universal Pictures, if all they they do is focus on it's flaws."

Anyways, I blame this on Fain with all the games they're playing with the RCL brand. I'm sure Azamara will be the next in line.

Sorry if I upset you. I was referring to a small band of characters who have little good to say, and use any concern someone has as another opportunity to jump in and criticize. Criticism for criticism's sake is not what I think this forum is for.

I think we all know the in's and out's of the new program. My surprise was that a major TA was putting some of the logical non-choices on their site. Celebrity really should try to catch these sorts of things and suggest to their TA's, at least the major ones, that they not put "silly" choices on their web sites.

Are you for real? Stop and think for a minute. Celebrity can't even keep their own website up to date how do you think they are going to monitor the TA websites. I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to wake you up. I know you are smarter than that.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Can we get a Bon Voyage! A++++

Thanks CG - my sentiments exactly.

Sometimes gift horses are made into glue... ;-):D

If there was a "like" button I would push it for this post......thanks....for putting it so succinctly....:)

Seriously?

First...I am the poster who started that last long thread--because my dummy booking on the Celebrity website for my 13 night cruise came up with the ludicrous "Pay just $195 per person more and get $150 per person onboard credit".

For the record, SantaFe, I am NOT a "complainer"...I may be one of Celebrity's biggest fans...But, when they do something stupid, I have no problem calling them out on it...

As to how much that drink package is worth, consider this: It is not worth much at all to any of the following:

1) Cruisers under the age of 21

2) Cruisers who, for whatever reason, be it religious beliefs, health issues or drug/alcohol addiction issues, do not drink.

3) Elite level or above Captains Club members who get free pre-dinner drinks and free specialty coffees anyway.

For anyone else--those who drink substantially and haven't cruised enough with Celebrity to get the free stuff--the numbers work out--slightly...assuming you were going to buy all that stuff anyway. If not, Celebrity is just assuring that you do...and you pre-pay it.

But they do really need to adjust those extras so that the OBC is calculated per day--just like the added fare--so that the OBC is always worth at least a little more than the added cost. And they may want to consider offering something different than a drinks package for those under 21 (though, for me, it would just insure that I'd stick my kids in an inside cabin).

unless that is a 13.33 day cruise the math is screwed up the cost to move from big to better is 15 per person per day. the 200 increase divided by 15 is 13.33 so something is wrong.

Seriously?.....

For the record, SantaFe, I am NOT a "complainer"...I may be one of Celebrity's biggest fans...But, when they do something stupid, I have no problem calling them out on it...

Yeah, my comment was kind of vague. My mistake.

I was referencing a select group of CC posters who seem to search out threads just so they can start posting complaints. There are three or four that I am very familiar with, and they are now on my ignore list.

Legitimate complaints are one thing, but posters who complain just to stir things up are another. I know of no one who enjoys it when people come on these forums just to cause trouble. They are sometimes called "trolls" for good reason.