SEVERE INJURY caused by Viking Homelands Ocean cruise

TheColoradoCruiser

Inspections and retrofits of this glass could mean a drydock situation. They cannot afford more of these accidents or it could mean major costly litigation $$$. One time...an accident.

More than that and do nothing, it will be seen as a negative reaction to a judge.

Actually they could do a rolling change out with a repair crew on board. With guests ashore, the crew could remove and replace glass in several showers a day if well coordinated. While on our cruise (Viking Star, Stockholm to Bergen, June 2015), they replaced our toilet twice as we were having problems with it. All done while we were ashore. No sign that they had even been there. Or they could do a drydock if necessary. There are about 460 cabins.

As a follow up question...

Is this situation (in which at least one injury has been reported above) limited to the two (2) isolated situations articulated in this document and/or have there been any other issues of cracking/exploding, and/or otherwise potential defects identified that might affect the safety of passengers?

We are leaving Sept. 3rd. If you read the reviews on VO today, we are in for the treat of our lives!!

When I got the Google alert about Viking Ocean, I went onto Cruise Critic about the ships problem in Estonia, and how Viking treated their passengers.

I wanted to cancel but we would loose ALL our money...

I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about going...I was also surprised that having had all our money for two years we don't even have a direct flight to Venice!!

So now I hope they have inspected all the showers..put into place some tape that will catch future explosions!!!

I just want a nice cruise on a beautiful ship...

Please do not stress yourself about any of this. Look forward to going on your trip and take your sense of adventure with you. The chance of getting your backside impaled with glass shards are very slim to none I bet. You will have a wonderful trip and take the air trip with a grain of salt too. Any sort of vacation trip could have its faux pas but it always makes for the best of stories. Don't think about any of this.....you will have a ball with your sense of humor as your cushion!!!:D

We are leaving Sept. 3rd. If you read the reviews on VO today, we are in for the treat of our lives!!

When I got the Google alert about Viking Ocean, I went onto Cruise Critic about the ships problem in Estonia, and how Viking treated their passengers.

I wanted to cancel but we would loose ALL our money...

I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about going...I was also surprised that having had all our money for two years we don't even have a direct flight to Venice!!

So now I hope they have inspected all the showers..put into place some tape that will catch future explosions!!!

I just want a nice cruise on a beautiful ship...

We had a great two weeks on our cruise (Viking Star, Stockholm to Bergen, June 2015). The ship is beautiful and the crew was great. We had some hiccups but the staff bent over backwards to sort things out and keep things running smooth. Any new ship/ airplane/ hotel/ car model has some problems. Viking has moved to correct these that have arisen. I am sure they learn and apply on the newer ships (Sea and Sky).

Some folks here are not happy about the situations or "compensation" they expect but that is their choice. I logged about 100K miles a year for 10+ years on Military business and I learned that all travel is an adventure. Control is an illusion. We are at the mercy of so many "moving parts", weather, and forces outside our realm of influence, that to expect perfection and no problems is absurd. Be prepared for the challenges and to adapt as you can. There is a term "Situational Awareness" or SA - always be aware of what is happening around you and act accordingly.

Google the website of Christopher Elliott, ombudsman at National Geographic Travel. He writes a syndicated travel column about readers' travel problems for which he seeks (and gets) solutions. Perhaps he'll take on your unusual event.

Eric Jordan is the Ombudsman for Conde Nast and he is great to work with. He got me a refund after I spent six weeks being ping ponged back and forth between two airlines with both blaming the other for the problem earlier this year.

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to acknowledge that we are aware of these two shower incidents, and Viking Customer Relations is in touch with both couples involved. We are very concerned that these accidents happened, and Viking Star’s engineers are actively assessing what could have caused this. Regardless, we are deeply concerned for our guests who experienced this, and we are committed to making it up to them.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

The way this is being handled so far shows a complete LACK of commitment and a lot of passing the buck and back pedaling. I am definitely forwarding a link to this thread to my cousin who was planning on booking with you next week and suggesting she look at other options.

The way this is being handled so far shows a complete LACK of commitment and a lot of passing the buck and back pedaling.

How so? I think their response, especially along with their follow-up in post 97 above, is pretty reasonable.

What would have been the right response in your view? "Dear Customers, Glass is exploding and we're panicking about it! You should too! We're not going to wait for so called engineers to 'analyze' and 'understand' the problem, we're going to, umm, err, DO SOMETHING and FAST. Also, everyone gets their money back!"

;)

I do agree that one incident, let alone two, even if it is out of 460 cabins over a four month period, is too many and is serious. But implementing a quick fix could easily make matters worse. And ripping them all out and replacing them with plastic curtains from Walmart is probably overkill.

Things fail sometimes, in design, manufacture, installation and use. You know, if you're driving a car made in the last decade odds are pretty good the airbags are defective. So far I'd say Viking's response is better than GM, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, BMW, et al. A low bar, I guess, but I don't know anyone who has stopped driving and is demanding a refund, even though the consequences are much higher with the airbag.

How so? I think their response, especially along with their follow-up in post 97 above, is pretty reasonable.

What would have been the right response in your view? "Dear Customers, Glass is exploding and we're panicking about it! You should too! We're not going to wait for so called engineers to 'analyze' and 'understand' the problem, we're going to, umm, err, DO SOMETHING and FAST. Also, everyone gets their money back!"

;)

I do agree that one incident, let alone two, even if it is out of 460 cabins over a four month period, is too many and is serious. But implementing a quick fix could easily make matters worse. And ripping them all out and replacing them with plastic curtains from Walmart is probably overkill.

Things fail sometimes, in design, manufacture, installation and use. You know, if you're driving a car made in the last decade odds are pretty good the airbags are defective. So far I'd say Viking's response is better than GM, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, BMW, et al. A low bar, I guess, but I don't know anyone who has stopped driving and is demanding a refund, even though the consequences are much higher with the airbag.

The fact that they made an unusable (and IMHO completely unacceptable) offer to the first couple and then left the second couple stranded before begrudgingly flying them home on a craptacular airline speaks for itself. I saw zero commitment in making anything up to anyone until the incidents hit social media.

Edited by ducklite

I am still onboard and I am glad to see Viking’s actios posted today but I am not completely at ease with the glass panel. I think the ship's crew has done a very good job making up for the amended itinerary. There are still minor hiccups onboard but nothing that really bothers me. For the Sept. 3 passengers, I think it is probably safe for you to have an enjoyable cruise experience.

My friend is back in Vancouver and has not settled with VO yet, so he is free to speak his mind. I think he just wants to put the whole incident behind him.

I agree that Viking Customer Service can probably do a much better job in handling these extraordinary situations. I think they have to learn that handling an ocean liner with 920 passengers onboard is different than a river cruise with 190 passengers.

oh I know I am not going to be liked by my Title Heading....but it's true....no serious injury occurred by a long shot. I am sure one would have pain with those cuts for several days...and the Tetanus shot...ok a day....definitely poor sleeping quality from this injury for a couple of days. 4 wks later ?? Hmmmmm....Anyway...is this Vikings fault ? Yah in a way...manufacturer of the glass is prime....I also can't quite fathom how one expects to be listened to if acting " totally outrageous, disgusted and finger pointed like a gun" I just spent 5 months of patiently.. Yep patiently ...waiting for $15K home insurance for snow/ice damage from winter. NOW I can make the repairs as I wasn't until I was given all upfront...Point- I had to stay on top of them , firm, polite , listen, ask questions AND point out their discrepancies with a firm not backing away voice. I finally got my last $450. This is how I would be here. Certainly would not exaggerate, but give documentation, and start process with copies - given some time in between. A log book of every call, email, person, date, etc. not happy with your response ? Next level up...my husband and I sat down last year to book a river cruise..saw that ocean cruises new to Viking this year...with a beautiful cruise to where we knew we would love....thought about it...said Yah...but not the first year they sail....lets do it 2016. We don't buy anything if it's the first year of the product...kept true with the boat! I know Viking will have a lot of their "kinks" resolved...and this glass shattering can't imagine will not be investigated seriously because no serious injuries is Thanking God...I can't imagine...sorry for my long wind...

;)

Thank you. Extremely well said. A much more diplomatic version of what I was thinking.

Craig & Susan

oh I know I am not going to be liked by my Title Heading....but it's true....no serious injury occurred by a long shot. I am sure one would have pain with those cuts for several days...and the Tetanus shot...ok a day....definitely poor sleeping quality from this injury for a couple of days. 4 wks later ?? Hmmmmm....Anyway...is this Vikings fault ? Yah in a way...manufacturer of the glass is prime....I also can't quite fathom how one expects to be listened to if acting " totally outrageous, disgusted and finger pointed like a gun" I just spent 5 months of patiently.. Yep patiently ...waiting for $15K home insurance for snow/ice damage from winter. NOW I can make the repairs as I wasn't until I was given all upfront...Point- I had to stay on top of them , firm, polite , listen, ask questions AND point out their discrepancies with a firm not backing away voice. I finally got my last $450. This is how I would be here. Certainly would not exaggerate, but give documentation, and start process with copies - given some time in between. A log book of every call, email, person, date, etc. not happy with your response ? Next level up...my husband and I sat down last year to book a river cruise..saw that ocean cruises new to Viking this year...with a beautiful cruise to where we knew we would love....thought about it...said Yah...but not the first year they sail....lets do it 2016. We don't buy anything if it's the first year of the product...kept true with the boat! I know Viking will have a lot of their "kinks" resolved...and this glass shattering can't imagine will not be investigated seriously because no serious injuries is Thanking God...I can't imagine...sorry for my long wind...

It's not just the sleeping, it's the sitting, touring, basically the cruise was ruined due to a serious defect aboard the ship. The OP deserves a free trip in an upgraded cabin that includes gratuities and airfare. In other words a free trip to replace the crappy one they had as a direct result of the injury due to a defective cabin.

Additionally ALL medical costs and additional payment for pain and suffering needs to be offered to them.

For the passengers who weren't injured but had the same issue, they also deserve a free cruise and one hell of an apology for the added stress at the airport.

There should also not be a one year time limit. That only adds injury as some people can't get that type of time every year. They should be given a full three years to take their trip.

Thanks lahlah57[emoji120]🏻[emoji120]🏻 I needed some positivity. Thank you also traveler103[emoji4][emoji4]

By the way, you can see from our signature that we have already booked on the Viking Sea next year (Nov 2016) for the ANCIENT EMPIRES & HOLY LANDS cruise. We have every confidence that Viking will come though and expect another great cruise.

;)

Could not agree more with your comment. Sometimes it is more about people's expectations than it is about the "incident". I have learned to roll with the punches in travel or you will always find some disappointment. Life is too short to fret over everything that goes wrong or does not go your way.

It's not just the sleeping, it's the sitting, touring, basically the cruise was ruined due to a serious defect aboard the ship. The OP deserves a free trip in an upgraded cabin that includes gratuities and airfare. In other words a free trip to replace the crappy one they had as a direct result of the injury due to a defective cabin.

Additionally ALL medical costs and additional payment for pain and suffering needs to be offered to them.

For the passengers who weren't injured but had the same issue, they also deserve a free cruise and one hell of an apology for the added stress at the airport.

There should also not be a one year time limit. That only adds injury as some people can't get that type of time every year. They should be given a full three years to take their trip.

"Like" :)

Could not agree more with your comment. Sometimes it is more about people's expectations than it is about the "incident". I have learned to roll with the punches in travel or you will always find some disappointment. Life is too short to fret over everything that goes wrong or does not go your way.

There is a big difference between missing a port due to weather or civil unrest or finding out a favorite server isn't on board when you arrive and being seriously injured due to something under the control of the cruise line in a manner which means you are not able to enjoy the cruise and having the line pretty much tell you that you can go again, but you need to pay to upgrade, you need to pay for the airfare and the tips again, etc. The OP is not being made whole and the line is not being at all honorable in how they are treating them. This is not a line I would sail with or recommend to others given their handling of this situation.

They should take a look at what US airways did when they put a plane down into the Hudson. Everyone was given hotels and upgraded tickets. Everyone was given a full refund in cash. All luggage was recovered, cleaned, and returned. Everyone was immediately cut a check for $5000 for immediate expenses. Those who chose not to fly again had their rental car or Amtrak tickets paid for without a single argument. All medical bills were paid. In certain circumstances people received more than the $5000. No one needed to ask for anything, this was all offered within a few hours of the crash. It was a case study in world class guest service after a bad situation.

Edited by ducklite

READ THIS ON THE BOARDS...Viking Cruises-Empty Refunds-Customer Expectations by thereim

I responded on that thread and reasons here as well regarding insurance.

Caveat emptor. I recommend checking your policy as well - you have a grace period after buying it to cancel if it does not cover what you need. From the separate policy I purchased for our upcoming Viking Cruise, Under Other benefits for which you will be compensated:

"Bankruptcy or Default of an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider (other than the Travel Supplier, tour operator, travel agency, organization or firm from whom You purchased Your Travel Arrangements) causing a complete cessation of travel services more than 14 days following Your Effective Date."

and

“Bankruptcy or Default” means the total cessation of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition by an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider provided the Bankruptcy or Default occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits. "

The effective date is based on when you buy the policy. As many travel writers have noted in publications, the insurance you buy from most cruise lines is not insurance but a credit to book with them later on another cruise. That is why the cruise line calls it a Travel Protection Plan, not travel insurance. It as a cancel-for-any-reason plan but does not cover if they cease operations due to bankruptcy or default. That is also why their "plan" is cheaper.

I still plan on traveling on Viking Oceans as I think they have a good product and a good chance of being a game changer in ocean travel and I feel protected because I buy my own insurance, not theirs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Insurance is regulated at the state level. I am in Florida. Your state requirements and policy may be different from what I see here.

I responded on that thread and reasons here as well regarding insurance.

Caveat emptor. I recommend checking your policy as well - you have a grace period after buying it to cancel if it does not cover what you need. From the separate policy I purchased for our upcoming Viking Cruise, Under Other benefits for which you will be compensated:

"Bankruptcy or Default of an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider (other than the Travel Supplier, tour operator, travel agency, organization or firm from whom You purchased Your Travel Arrangements) causing a complete cessation of travel services more than 14 days following Your Effective Date."

and

“Bankruptcy or Default” means the total cessation of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition by an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider provided the Bankruptcy or Default occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits. "

The effective date is based on when you buy the policy. As many travel writers have noted in publications, the insurance you buy from most cruise lines is not insurance but a credit to book with them later on another cruise. That is why the cruise line calls it a Travel Protection Plan, not travel insurance. It as a cancel-for-any-reason plan but does not cover if they cease operations due to bankruptcy or default. That is also why their "plan" is cheaper.

I still plan on traveling on Viking Oceans as I think they have a good product and a good chance of being a game changer in ocean travel and I feel protected because I buy my own insurance, not theirs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Insurance is regulated at the state level. I am in Florida. Your state requirements and policy may be different from what I see here.

What does this post have to do with this thread on severe injury?

I notice you have a quite short history as a Cruise Critic poster. Perhaps a review of the Forum Guidelines would be beneficial?

Post 119 above provided a link to another thread "Viking Cruises-Empty Refunds-Customer Expectations by thereim" wherein that commenter discussed the "failure to deliver" and the financial strength of VO and the possibility of financial default. A second commenter, Post #4 on the linked thread, said "Check your travel insurance. It very likely does not cover default."

For one, I thought the first comment was unnecessarily alarmist, not just "informative". That kind of comment can create a fear or panic.

For the second comment, I tried to clear the air on the second comment by pointing out that most Travel Insurance does provide for protection from default. But the "protection plans" most cruise lines offer do not. I posted my response on insurance in both threads because of the link.

I posted in both threads so the readers of both might see the comment about insurance. I was trying to correct some mis-information about insurance and the difference between real insurance and cruise line "plans" that offer refunds and vouchers. How does that not fit within the Forum Guidelines?

Edited by Traveler103

The OP's photos are small and sideways (thanks Apple) so to maybe help others view the OP's pics plus a BEFORE pic of shower pic from another poster, I have copied, rotated and post.

It is clear that it is the curved portion of the shower that shattered as others have said.

I am reading this thread as my cousin and hubby are booked to sail on Viking Ocean next year. I have no dog in this race. I hope the issue is rectified ASAP as Viking has last posted it will be.

Before----

ry%3D480

After--

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

OP's injuries--OUCH!ry%3D480