SEVERE INJURY caused by Viking Homelands Ocean cruise

TheColoradoCruiser

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to acknowledge that we are aware of these two shower incidents, and Viking Customer Relations is in touch with both couples involved. We are very concerned that these accidents happened, and Viking Star’s engineers are actively assessing what could have caused this. Regardless, we are deeply concerned for our guests who experienced this, and we are committed to making it up to them.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Imagine a child asking a showering parent a question when a panel explodes. How concerned will Viking be then?

The second incident happened while the ship was in port. Would it actually flex while docked?

Not nearly as likely. It could also be a thermal and flexing issue or just one, or the other. Whatever it is I wonder if they couldn't just pull the panel and replace it with a tiny bit of shower curtain until they've sorted the cause and have a fix ready to implement.

The second incident happened while the ship was in port. Would it actually flex while docked?

Would the expansion of the glass panels have anything to do with the bathroom floor being heated? When your card key is in the slot, the power in the cabin works and thus the heated floor system in the bathroom stays on.

I had thought, wow how great to go into the bathroom in the middle of the night, and the floor is warm.

I guess if someone is decapitated, they will post their usual response, but not too worry Viking will offer them off "something off a future cruise". Of course the "something off the future cruise" will have so many limitations it would be easier finding a pregnant nun.

Edited by howiefrommd

As someone who is scheduled on a cruise very soon, I don't want to just hear from Viking that they are getting in touch with the two injured guests (although that's a good thing), I want to hear about what they are doing to fix the problem so future guests won't be hurt.

We are booked on Sept 3 cruise and agree that we want to know what the problem was and what has Viking done to prevent future incidents. How many of these shower door incidents have occurred that we don't know about? I hope Viking issues a more thorough statement and addresses our concerns.

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to acknowledge that we are aware of these two shower incidents, and Viking Customer Relations is in touch with both couples involved. We are very concerned that these accidents happened, and Viking Star’s engineers are actively assessing what could have caused this. Regardless, we are deeply concerned for our guests who experienced this, and we are committed to making it up to them.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Please keep us posted on the results of the engineers' active assessment--including the fix. As someone who very much enjoyed our July 11 cruise and would like to book another cruise, I can tell you that I absolutely would not unless and until I am assured that I will be safe from exploding glass while in the bathroom. There is no way I would travel on a ship with that hazard unresolved, and I suspect my feelings are shared by many, so it would be best to communicate real information once you have it, rather than more canned "deeply concerned" responses.

Edited by OneBag

Please keep us posted on the results of the engineers' active assessment--including the fix. As someone who very much enjoyed our July 11 cruise and would like to book another cruise, I can tell you that I absolutely would not unless and until I am assured that I will be safe from exploding glass while in the bathroom. There is no way I would travel on a ship with that hazard unresolved, and I suspect my feelings are shared by many, so it would be best to communicate real information once you have it, rather than more canned "deeply concerned" responses.

I have until April to cnx my cruise next summer. Hopefully they will figure it out by then. One shattering I can accept as "one of a kind" but two? There is something systemic going on and I don't want to be a casualty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is probably Fincantieri arguing with their sub contractor and the sub contractors are arguing with the glass manufacturer.

Viking needs to step up and start writing checks and deal with ship builder later.

They should install clear protective film -tonight They could probably train stewards to apply or hire a team to embark the ship and do it while underway.

They need to take action - now!

Passenger confidence needs to be restored by installing something visible that addresses the problem. Emails to "Tellus" are pretty thin gruel.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

If I were onboard, I would be taping every square inch of the shower glass with Duct tape (I always take this along to repair luggage), clear packaging tape, or at least masking tape. I would do whatever it takes to keep ourselves safe, and not wait for Viking to do something.

Remembering this corner glass from our trip, I can see how the continuous rocking of the ship could put stress on this corner, and eventually it breaks. Surprised it explodes, but not that it would break. The stairwell has glass panels as part of the railing. On the 8th floor, one of these cracked all the way through, on the Istanbul to Venice segment, but we assumed it was hit by something heavy. It was eventually replaced shortly before we disembarked in Stockholm. But it only cracked, not exploded. The pictures of these showers clearly show shattered glass that exploded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeLikesToTravel View Post

As someone who is scheduled on a cruise very soon, I don't want to just hear from Viking that they are getting in touch with the two injured guests (although that's a good thing), I want to hear about what they are doing to fix the problem so future guests won't be hurt.

ANOLDYELLOWDOG

We are booked on Sept 3 cruise and agree that we want to know what the problem was and what has Viking done to prevent future incidents. How many of these shower door incidents have occurred that we don't know about? I hope Viking issues a more thorough statement and addresses our concerns.

I agree with you both as I am booked on Sept. 3 cruise. What is Viking doing to keep the rest of us safe??

I have until April to cnx my cruise next summer. Hopefully they will figure it out by then. One shattering I can accept as "one of a kind" but two? There is something systemic going on and I don't want to be a casualty

A potential systemic issue came to my mind also after the second occurance. Was there a bad production run of glass used to manufacture the showers? Or, was the " curve" extreme? Movement stress? Temperature variability? Perhaps installation error? It really takes an engineer, with all the data, to know for sure.

A potential systemic issue came to my mind also after the second occurance. Was there a bad production run of glass used to manufacture the showers? Or, was the " curve" extreme? Movement stress? Temperature variability? Perhaps installation error? It really takes an engineer, with all the data, to know for sure.

Hard to tell from the picture. It appears to have a fairly sharp bend to it, but cannot tell from the picture, since it does not show either the base or the top.

Edited by RDC1

I suspect it is a combination of factors that taken individually are not critical. If Viking has not diagnosed the problem already it will likely need a laboratory and extensive tests to pin down. In other words, it is not likely that the cause will be identified quickly.

Sadly, it will likely take several more incidents before the bean counters will justify the cost of preventing further occurrences.

Here is a story by Channel 10 in Los Angeles - home of Viking Cruises

"Shattering glass shower doors becoming more common

Hallandale Beach man's Christmas Eve surprise highlights 195 other incidents on file"

http://www.local10.com/news/shattering-glass-shower-doors-becoming-more-common/30477764

Author: Christina Vazquez, Reporter, cvazquez@wplg.com

Kohler recalled some shower doors in 2011. Look at the pictures

Description: The recall involves a 1/2 inch thick hinge panel included in the Kohler Purist®, Pinstripe® and Finial® frameless heavy glass pivot shower doors. The hinge panel was sold as a component under part numbers 705753-L-NA, 705754-L-NA and 705760-L-NA in various shower door packages as described in these tables.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/Kohler-Co-Announces-Recall-of-Shower-Doors-Due-to-Laceration-Hazard/

If everyone is still not satisfied, why not post on Facebook or another social media where you can reach more people and let them know of the poor service you have been receiving. Maybe then Viking will pay attention to you...?

If everyone is still not satisfied, why not post on Facebook or another social media where you can reach more people and let them know of the poor service you have been receiving. Maybe then Viking will pay attention to you...?

Viking has a track record of deleting negative posts from their facebook page very quickly.

Trip Advisor would probably be a fairly visible venue

Not on Viking page, your own, pass on to your friends. It might become viral. Trip advisor owns cruise critic...

While trip advisor owns cruise critic they still have different content and a lot more viewers.