Cotton Blouse requires dry cleaning

Barb Nahoumi

When I was shopping at TJ Maxx yesterday, I saw a lovely white cotton shirt with an off white all-over embroidered pattern.

I loved the shirt until I read the care-lable which specified "Dry-clean Only."

Why would a 100 per cent cotton blouse require dry cleaning. Could I safely hand wash or wash in the gentle cycle?

I await your replies.............thanks.

Barb

When I was shopping at TJ Maxx yesterday, I saw a lovely white cotton shirt with an off white all-over embroidered pattern.

I loved the shirt until I read the care-lable which specified "Dry-clean Only."

Why would a 100 per cent cotton blouse require dry cleaning. Could I safely hand wash or wash in the gentle cycle?

I await your replies.............thanks.

Barb

My first thoughts are that the embroidery threads in the pattern might be harmed by washing machines or laundry detergents. Embroidery threads often have a different tencil strength than cotton fibers found in most 100% cotton fabrics.

Hand washing in a mild soap such as Woolite might work, but if the embroidery threads are of a synthetic fiber you could run into trouble when pressing the blouse unless you use a pressing cloth and low iron temperature.

Dianne

The label should list the fiber content of the embroidery threads as well as the blouse itself. If they are cotton as well, you shouldn't have a problem.

My guess is that the manufacturer realizes that washing in a machine, even on gentle cycle, is likely to rip the embroidery and is cautioning against it. I would think you'd be fine with hand-washing with a gentle cleanser like Woolite, though.

The label should list the fiber content of the embroidery threads as well as the blouse itself. If they are cotton as well, you shouldn't have a problem.

My guess is that the manufacturer realizes that washing in a machine, even on gentle cycle, is likely to rip the embroidery and is cautioning against it. I would think you'd be fine with hand-washing with a gentle cleanser like Woolite, though.

I agree.

I'm in the fashion biz and have asked some manufacturers why they put a "dry clean only" label into a garment that can easily be hand washed. More than once I've heard the answer that when they do put hand wash labels like that in clothes, some people will throw a delicate garment into the washing machine, ruin it and then demand a refund from the manufacturer and swear they washed it by hand, even though it's literally been through the ringer.

So, it's often done just to protect themselves from people who don't follow instructions (like "gently hand wash") and then expect the company to pay for their mistakes.

Jane

I think that you should be fine hand washing the shirt as long as the embroidery isn't red or bright blue. I would be too afraid that the colors would bleed into each other. In that case, it is better to stick with dry cleaning it. If you do not like the idea of going to the dry cleaners every time you wear it, you might want to think twice about the shirt.

I, for one cannot be bothered with going to the dry cleaners every week, so I try to have only machine or hand washables. You will find that most "dry clean only" garments can be hand washed and dried flat. I own many shirts and sweaters that say this and I have hand washed them and they have lasted many years.

Rarely do I ever dry clean anything unless it is my wool winter suits or coats.

That said, I've become quite the expert at hand washing. Aside from the other excellent advice you've been given, there is another possibility.

If the shirt is cotton and the threads synthetic, the shirt will shrink and the thread will not creating a 'ruched' effect with the blouse.

I agree with Jane, I've heard this on fashion shows and I've read in fashion mags that it's very often there to "protect the manufacturer",

In this case I can't say because of the embroidery

If it's a man's style shirt they go out like my hubby's shirts, they go to the laundry service, if it's a dressy blouse in cotton, I wash on gentle and then send out for pressing. If it's got beads or rhinestones, then I dry clean only. I never wash by hand.

I don't think a white blouse that is dry cleaned only always will stay white white. I remember having a white linen jacket that had to be dry cleaned and it turned yellowish after a while (and lot a long whilte), but maybe it was my dry cleaner.

Thank you all. Since the shirt is unique and white on white, I might buy it. The price is not high, so I will take a chance & hand wash it.

Hopefully, it hasn't sold yet.

Barb

Since the price is right, go for it! If it were me, I'd hand wash and line dry. You'd probably have to use an iron anyway.

Thank you all. Since the shirt is unique and white on white, I might buy it. The price is not high, so I will take a chance & hand wash it.

Hopefully, it hasn't sold yet.

Barb

When the price is right, I'd go for it too and think you are right on with the hand wash & line dry cleaning method. I would add that when pressing the blouse, use a pressing cloth (which can be anything from a clean dish towel to a piece of white cotton fabric) and press on a low iron setting to avoid shrinkage of the embroidery threads.

I have purchased several embroidered items in Mexico that contain hand embroidery and lace and always hand wash and line dry items and then pressing with the above method.

Enjoy your blouse - hope it is still for sale at the store when you get there.

Dianne

Bad news---------I went back to find the blouse. Unfortunately someone tried it on and stained it.

I can't use it now, but I'll find another one elsewhere.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Barb

Bummer. Sounded like an intriquing blouse to many of us. Hope you find something similar and now you have a lot of ideas about care when you find it.

Dianne

Archived