Carnival Cruiser on Ruby Princess?

Cruznjuly

Hi all!

We are Carnival cruisers- love the value and fun for the kids. (10&13) My parents are Regents cruisers, and love the all

Inclusive aspect.

We're looking to do a compromise cruise line and Princess is a front runner. (Not looking for any other opinions other than Princess, please) :-)

What makes Princess particularly attractive is the "free" all inclusive beverages for two adults per balcony state room.

Any thoughts on the Ruby Princess? I've obviously looked at their websites and reviews but I'm looking for personal information. Is the ship showing wear? What might I need to know, never having cruised Princess before?

The cruise would be the California Coastal out of LA.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all!

We are Carnival cruisers- love the value and fun for the kids. (10&13) My parents are Regents cruisers, and love the all

Inclusive aspect.

We're looking to do a compromise cruise line and Princess is a front runner. (Not looking for any other opinions other than Princess, please) :-)

What makes Princess particularly attractive is the "free" all inclusive beverages for two adults per balcony state room.

Any thoughts on the Ruby Princess? I've obviously looked at their websites and reviews but I'm looking for personal information. Is the ship showing wear? What might I need to know, never having cruised Princess before?

The cruise would be the California Coastal out of LA.

Thanks!

The Ruby is excellent. We have sailed her many times.

Here is a great spreadsheet that someone put together on the AI package.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=all+inclusive

:eek::eek::eek: Where?

Could be a promo or something. I am booked on my 3rd Princess cruise, and first time hearing about it.

I am on a December cruise on the Regal. Booked before the promotion, so I am out too. Is there a lesson to be learned here? Don't book early? Only my 2nd ever cruise so I know I have a lot to learn......

Unless you have a nonrefundable deposit you could cancel and rebook if the current offer is better.:cool:

I am on a December cruise on the Regal. Booked before the promotion, so I am out too. Is there a lesson to be learned here? Don't book early? Only my 2nd ever cruise so I know I have a lot to learn......

No the lesson would be watch for sales/promos then have your TA get Princess to add the promo to your booking. ;)

The Ruby is excellent. We have sailed her many times.

Here is a great spreadsheet that someone put together on the AI package.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=all+inclusive

Oh so everything on this list would be included? That's awesome! Thank you!

Oh so everything on this list would be included? That's awesome! Thank you!

"ANY" drink under $10. No per day limit.

Add about $1 to those prices for increases.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Anyone who has sailed both lines... Which Carnival

Ship would the Ruby compare to?

None of the Carnival ships would compare! Princess is much classier... it's also quieter... the decor and food are so much better than Carnival, IMHO.

I would guess the newest Carnival ship might maybe be comparable.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

None of the Carnival ships would compare!

I was going to say the same thing. I have taken multiple Carnival cruises And have not seen anything that compares to Princess. The decor on the Princess ships just feels so much more elegant. I just felt the whole Princess experience was very nice.

I must say that one area where Carnival is better is the cabins. The Carnival cabins seem larger than the Princess cabins.

Edited by Grayce

We just sailed on the Ruby at the end of May. We really liked her and the crew/staff were very good. We only sail Princess because we like the demographics and their ships. We have sailed most of that class of ship but our favorite of all of them is the Island and Coral. We like the pac count....

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Let's just say lava pools in hell will turn into a skating rink before I step on another Carnival ship (maybe Vista). But I love Princess. Classier, quieter, more comfortable, more sophisticated, not too snotty, and has good age range. And does not feel like college kegger (looking at you, Carnival)

Most Princess ships are designed to have the same look and feel so that once you board a Princess ship, you feel like you're coming home. Minor differences between the Ruby and her sister ships.

On Princess, you can go directly to your cabin as soon as you board, whether it's 11:30am or 3pm. No need for "Faster to the Fun." Emphasis/vibe on Princess is laid back, lower energy than Carnival. I personally dislike the current tag line "Come back new" as I think the previous tag line better describes Princess: "Escape completely." Less of a party and more of a getaway feel.

No in cabin announcements unless it's safety-related or information the Captain needs to inform the passengers. PA announcements are made at Noon with the Officer of the Watch's report. Few other PA announcements other than perhaps a whale or wildlife sighting.

Food is subjective so I won't comment on that. There are plenty of dining options day and night.

Princess allows TAs to discount fares. This isn't a big deal on the CA coastal cruises as TAs make very little on these. As with Carnival, if you own Carnival Corporation stock, you can request shareholder OBC. If any of you are military or ex-military, you can apply for military OBC. OBC is combinable. I know that Carnival has discontinued Future Cruise Deposits (FCC/FCD) but you can purchase them on any Princess ship and receive OBC when you book using one.

I haven't been on the Ruby Princess before but I have sailed on other Princess ships. Be forewarned that your children might be a little bored during sea days. My little sister was 12/13 years old and she didn't find many activities that she was interested in onboard; however, she never goes to the kids programs so maybe they're more enjoyable. :)

Like everyone else was saying, the Princess ships are so elegantly designed and decorated compared to Carnival ships and it sounds like a great middle ground for your family. I hope you guys enjoy your vacation!

The promotion applies to cruises starting May, 2016.

Your December, 2015 cruise would not have been eligible for this promotion.

We've sailed mainly on the West Coast. Over 30 Carnival and 6 Princess cruises but haven't sailed the Ruby. We have sailed on several of her sisters. Princess ships are set up completely different than Carnival's. The closest similar out here would be the Miracle but it really isn't.

The cabins are smaller. Narrower than IS or OV on a Fantasy Class ship. One huge open closet. Many will store the odd table in the closet. Decent bathroom layout but the shower is smaller than Carnival's. Fixed head shower head. No couch in the IS, OV or BAL cabins. If you get a quad know that you might not be able to have the lowers together.

Food wise I like Princess's hot buffet, Carnival's MDR. Princess doesn't have a Deli, 24 hr pizza, 24 hr ice cream or free hot chocolate machines. Princess pizza is comparable to Carnival's new pizza. Princess does have a 24 hour International Buffet in the Atrium.

Buffet waiters will serve you drinks and take bar orders. Omelettes will be brought to your table, give the waiter your ticket.

Princess allows reservations to be taken for ATD. One MDR will be all assigned dining, one will be all ATD, a third will be assigned for early seating then ATD afterward 7:30 or so. (There might be 5? MDRs on the Ruby, someone will confirm). One big complaint about Princess is that, depending on the Maitre d, assigned diners can be allowed into the ATD MDRs.

The Patters is set up differently than the FunTimes. No tear off section. The food schedule was confusing my first cruise. Read it carefully. Tea is served around 3pm. Prefer Carnival's tea service as on Princess you have to wait if you want a tea that's different than what's in their large pot. The hot scones are very good.

We went on a CA Coastal in the beginning of March. Very few kids onboard. Have heard very good things about the Princess kids clubs.