Kailua-Kona Help

BlackJack2

We will be arriving in Kailua-Kona and tendering in. We will be in port from 7 AM to 5 PM. We are picking up a rental car at 8 AM and we need to be back to tender at 4 PM.

We hope to see the following sites:

Going South from Kona: Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park & Kealakekua Bay

Going North from Kona: Pu'ukohola National Historic Site & Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park.

Is this a doable itinerary with Kona traffic? Should we head South first and then North?

Can't answer your question specifically, but when we were at Kona last February- land trip- the traffic north and south of Kona was horrendous in the afternoon. I would be very generous with my time allotments. One or two of the days a ship was in.

Can't answer your question specifically, but when we were at Kona last February- land trip- the traffic north and south of Kona was horrendous in the afternoon. I would be very generous with my time allotments. One or two of the days a ship was in.

I had a similar experience returning to Kona in the afternoon & barely made it back for the last tender to the ship.

The petroglyphs north of Kona were enjoyable but think time would be too tight for me to go there & south of Kona. Instead I'd just go to the locations south of Kona which to me are better. For me it's only about 6-7 hours because you can never be sure about the traffic returning to Kona.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree. Traffic and/or a traffic accident can bring everything to a standstill in Kona. The big resorts are north of Kona and in the mid to late afternoon the resort workers are on the highway returning to their homes in Kailua-Kona. I also would suggest you only try to explore in one direction. Lots to see and do and lots of beautiful scenery in either direction. Unless I wanted to include time at a beach, I would probably opt for exploring south of town. Have fun exploring!

I also agree w/Astro Flyer and kapoho 2 regarding heading south of Kailua-Kona town.

The two sites that you mentioned are a wonderful way to spend a day on the Big Island. I would also suggest stopping in at one of the smaller Kona Coffe farms (my personal favorite is Greenwell Farms) where you can take a short tour of their operations and learn about Kona coffee and sample same (don't forget to sample some chocolate covered pea berry coffee beans:)).

I would still suggest giving yourself plenty of time heading back to town, although the traffic in the afternoon is "usually" heading against you by then.

Have a wonderful time!!!:D