Millennium to Alaska Photo Review-6/19-7/3/2015

Italy52

Karen,

Many thanks for posting your wonderful review and photos here in the Celebrity sub-forum! Almost missed it as I have been watching the Member Revews for the Millennium, which have links to port excursions, but hadn't been checking the Alaska ports board directly. So many places on CC to put your very helpful review:)

With so many Alaska cruises taken and your close observation for photo ops, can you tell me what is seen in daylight on day one/two leaving from Vancouver? It appears it might depend on the tides whether or not the ship gets through the Seymour Narrows the first night. I have a detailed Cruise Guide and Map but the question in general is... Is there nearby land ...Vancouver Island on port side the cruising day? Or by daylight is the Millenium already past that interesting first section and photo ops from the ship are more limited as the ship by then is out in the wider channel? In addition to attending the naturalist talks, are there good times to take photos near land. Assuming it is not raining two weeks from today:)Thanks again, Janet

Karen,

Many thanks for posting your wonderful review and photos here in the Celebrity sub-forum! Almost missed it as I have been watching the Member Revews for the Millennium, which have links to port excursions, but hadn't been checking the Alaska ports board directly. So many places on CC to put your very helpful review:)

With so many Alaska cruises taken and your close observation for photo ops, can you tell me what is seen in daylight on day one/two leaving from Vancouver? It appears it might depend on the tides whether or not the ship gets through the Seymour Narrows the first night. I have a detailed Cruise Guide and Map but the question in general is... Is there nearby land ...Vancouver Island on port side the cruising day? Or by daylight is the Millenium already past that interesting first section and photo ops from the ship are more limited as the ship by then is out in the wider channel? In addition to attending the naturalist talks, are there good times to take photos near land. Assuming it is not raining two weeks from today:)Thanks again, Janet

Janet, when traveling from Vancouver, most of the scenery is at night --- traveling to Vancouver, the scenery would be during the day.

We found that we had some good photo opportunities as the ship made its way into the various ports --- we would get up early and be out on the balcony or deck looking for wildlife and scenery as we made our approach into the towns. We were early risers and always watched the water as we never knew what we would find.

Karen,

Thank you so much for answering! But drat, that first interesting part is at night. No problem about the early rising...I am a very early riser in NC, so I'll likely be spending many hours awake in the dark. Don't do jet lag as well as I did when younger.

Again, so much appreciate your terrific review and photos, thanks,

Karen,

Thank you so much for answering! But drat, that first interesting part is at night. No problem about the early rising...I am a very early riser in NC, so I'll likely be spending many hours awake in the dark. Don't do jet lag as well as I did when younger.

Again, so much appreciate your terrific review and photos, thanks,

You're welcome --- sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have a wonderful cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

Karen, your review and pictures are terrific!

What day did you visit Anan Creek? It looks like your cruise ended on July 3 so you must have been there before peak and yet there were plenty of bears around :D

Karen, your review and pictures are terrific!

What day did you visit Anan Creek? It looks like your cruise ended on July 3 so you must have been there before peak and yet there were plenty of bears around :D

Hi Linda,

I see that you have posted your question on the Celebrity board as well --- go on over to the Alaska board as I just answered your question there. :)

Karen,

Great recap and photos! My husband and I are getting ready to book the Millie next July to travel with our son, who will be 8. Were there other kids around that age on your cruise (assuming it was after school let out)? Don't want the ship overrun with kids but want to make sure he has some playmates at the Fun Factory during down time. I posted this question in the Celeb board and got a few responses but was hoping you would have specific insight just coming back. Thanks.

Karen,

Great recap and photos! My husband and I are getting ready to book the Millie next July to travel with our son, who will be 8. Were there other kids around that age on your cruise (assuming it was after school let out)? Don't want the ship overrun with kids but want to make sure he has some playmates at the Fun Factory during down time. I posted this question in the Celeb board and got a few responses but was hoping you would have specific insight just coming back. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

While we did not have any children cruising with us, I can say that we did see younger children on board the Millennium. We saw quite a few groups who were traveling with family members as their matching T-shirt and reunion information gave them away. :) During lunch and dinner at the buffet, we always saw children around your son's age having meals with staff members from the children's programs. We never went by the children's play area so not so sure how many kids were participating in the programs.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.