10 month old on a cruise. Odd concern?

ncurcio

So I have been on six cruises, but I am new to this whole parent thing. I am considering going on a cruise with my daughter, who would be 10 months at the time of sailing. I have read up on some tips on traveling with such a small child and it certainly seems to be manageable and more importantly, enjoyable. A concern I just mentally stumbled upon was one that I have not seen addressed anywhere to this point....the height of railings. I consider myself quite a worrier , but with a little person to look after, it adds a whole new level to it all. I have developed a worry that the height of the railings is just about the level that my daughter would be at when holding her. Call me crazy, because, I am probably am, but has anyone ever had this concern? Does anyone have anything to offer me any sort of piece of mind or should I disregard the possibility of a cruise in my near future?

Thanks

Not a worry. If you trust yourself to walk along a city pavement without dropping her in front of a car, then you can walk along a deck without dropping her over the side. You might as well book a non-balcony cabin, because there's no point paying the extra money for a source of worry; and as for the rest - I promise you, you'll be taking so much care that you won't get near enough the side to throw her over! Plenty of deck space away from balconies.

Now, when she's three and spends all her time climbing up on chairs ... ;)

The railings are about chest high...you will not lose your child over a railing, unless you throw her! If you are truly concerned, don't stand near a railing!

I remember with my 1st child, I had nightmares about forgetting him...at the grocery store or leaving him at home....it was scary, but of course, it NEVER happened. This is your mind playing tricks on you!

A balcony cabin is the way to go with a little one. It's someplace for you and hubby "to be" while your little one is napping or down for the night.

Edited by cb at sea

Also, you can go your whole cruise and pretty much never get near a railing. Many/most of the public decks you would use are fully enclosed with floor to ceiling windows. The interior decks (near elevators/stairs) are just like at the mall at home - all you have to do is stay back a few feet if you want to be extra wary.

Best,

Mia

Your 10 month old will be fine. I think the only danger is when you take a child who is mobile but doesn't have the sense not to climb things on a cruise. We wouldn't allow our toddler on the balcony by himself, because he would climb the chairs and table. From on top of the chairs or table, it might be possible for a toddler to fall overboard, but a toddler standing on the ground cannot fall overboard and you won't drop your child overboard.

Edited by kitkat343

We just took our than 9 month old daughter on her first cruise in june.

Actually I was afraid of dropping her if she wiggled too much, it came to the point that I always carried her on the side of my body that faced away from railings.

Nothing bad happened, we had a great cruise and are looking forward to our next.

Normal to be concerned. I had all sorts of worries when planning the first cruise with the kids. And they were much older than your little one.

They will not fall over. Keep an eye on them and don't stand near the railing if you are worried. I still avoid booking a balcony, because of some of the same type paranoia. lol. So I get it.

For that age- an umbrella stroller worked great. I called it our "chariot" and my son climbed in knowing that meant we were ready for breakfast in the morning. So he was happy to comply. You'll have fun- it will be a busy trip. This will not be a relaxing by the pool, going to shows kind of adventure though. 10 month olds are busy crawling or standing and walking holding onto things. They aren't content to veg.

Just got back from a 7 day cruise that included my 2 year old granddaughter n her parents. I understand your concern. My husband has a terrible fear of heights n didn't want the baby anywhere near any kind of railing for fear of her falling or the railing giving way. A lot of the suggestions already posted are very good, I hope they will give u piece of mind! I was in the " are you crazy bringing a small child on a cruise ship!?!?" Mind set BEFORE I had a grand baby and must say changed my mind very quickly! It was a complete joy to cruise with her and I can't imagine ever going with out her! In fact, dd is hoping to be blessed with another one ASAP so when we booked our next cruise ( on the ship) to include our future grand baby too! Hope you have a wonderful time!