what month should we book and with whom ?

peterseaford

G'day the wife and I would love to cruise from Paris to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Budapest and ask your advise.

We are both retired , in our seventies - we would like a cabin with a veranda if possible and am not aware when the rivers let boats under bridges or even float as we would like to enjoy a cruise as compared a bus trip of which we have enjoyed many.

Here we see many cruise companies but there are possibly many more that we have never heard of but - if its like European restaurants - the locals know better than we foreigners,

My dear old Dad told me many years ago - if the locals use it then its good.

We would really value any information , advise or guidance that you may find time to pass on to us

kindest regards

peter

Hi Peter,

Have you checked the stickies for river cruising? They are quite helpful when looking for river cruise companies.

There is no river from Paris to Amsterdam. You can take the train. We booked our Mekong River cruise with APT. This Australian company is the only one that offers the extensive land and river package we wanted. Have you looked whether they offer what you are looking for in Europe?

There is no river from Paris to Amsterdam. You can take the train.

Actually, a few companies do offer a Paris to Amsterdam itinerary. You spend a couple of days in Paris - then travel to catch the boat on the Moselle river. Look at whether the company uses a bus, or a train for the majority of that trip. The river portion is usually 7 nights.

We booked our Mekong River cruise with APT. This Australian company is the only one that offers the extensive land and river package we wanted. Have you looked whether they offer what you are looking for in Europe?

Most offer Amsterdam to Budapest. So, that is an easier find.

For your veranda request - most new river boats offer verandas (balconies). Just make sure it is a true balcony - and not a French balcony --> which is a sliding door and a railing. Some offer twin balconies (ie: corner suite). Many of the balconies now have glass walls that can be raised or lowered - depending on the weather.

The concern of cruise vs bus trip is a valid one. Unfortunately, this is quite dependent on the weather - and no one can control that!!

There are many cheerleaders on this forum - as well as many who won't travel certain lines for personal reasons. Costs can be all over the map - depending on when you want to go, how inclusive you want the program to be, category of cabin etc. Although you would ideally like to make this a smooth transition - there is always an option of booking the Paris to Amsterdam portion - then stay a few days in Amsterdam before setting off on the Amsterdam to Budapest part.

My suggestion would be to look at the Paris to Amsterdam part first - and then look at options for the 2nd part. It would be easy to stay with the same line - but you could do them with different lines if there was something specific you wanted that was only offered on one line (or the dates worked better for you...)

Not sure if this is helpful. I can be more specific if you have other questions. I have travelled most rivers in Europe (9 cruises down - another 2 booked) with most of the key players. We usually travel Aquarium Class (aka lowest category) so can't speak to the balcony issue - but can try to address questions about itineraries, life on board etc.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Paris to Amsterdam is a little tricky, as mentioned before you have to travel by coach or train to the Moselle from Paris. The cruise itinerary starts just after Luxembourg, i.e. downstream towards Trier, or further, i.e. just passed Trier. Paris to Luxembourg is a few hours journey, a fast train service is available, coach always takes longer.

As regards the weather: I would not go in March - the first itinerary of the year will probably start at the end of March - as the weather is cool and unpredicable there is more of a risk of flooding than later in Spring, as a general rule only, every year is different. I like May, but if you do not mind heat, the summer is nice. Autumn is also nice. November is a boring, potentially cold month. If you like Christmas markets go between 24 November and 22 December.

May I suggest you consider going to Paris and the take a cruise from Basel to Amsterdam? If you have your heart set on the Moselle then, of course, it is best to stick to an itinerary that includes Luxembourg.

As regards European companies. Riviera Travel is in the UK, CroisiEurope is in Strasbourg/France (they have started offering cruises on the North American market) and ARosa is in Germany - with a North American agent. Their itineraries might be worth looking at.

notamermaid