Alaska Excersions

cruiser1085

I hope this post reaches the right people. Our cruise to Alaska on Holland America is in a week and I don't have time to read all the reviews, so some help would be appreciated.

In Juneau we'd like to do whale watching AND the glacier, but not just a drive by. We'd like to do a short hike to the glacier as well. Suggestions of companies?

In Ketchikan I want to fish for salmon. I may be alone or with my friend. I'm thinking 4 hours, and will want to have some of my catch packed and shipped. Small boat, no big groups please.

In Victoria we'd like to see the gardens--do I need to book that ahead?

And what to do in Sitka.

Thank you all!

I strongly recommend you have a look at the Alaska forum here on CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

There are a few stickies at the top, a couple of which are compilations of trip reports. If those don't give you the info you need, try using the "search" function. Sitka? So many choices, you need to figure out what is of interest to you.

Enjoy your trip, Alaska is fabulous!

In Sitka we have done the Sea Otter Wild Life tour a couple of times -- even saw a lot of whales one time. We booked through HAL and chose the early morning tour. Their boat came out to our ship to pick us up. Then we were dropped off in town so that we could walk around there and catch any tender when we were ready to go back to the ship.

In Juneau we have done the whale watching through Orka Enterprises. And we took the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier -- this way we could spend as much time there as we wanted and walk whatever trails we wanted. Hard to do both of these tours in the same day on your own.

Victoria, our HAL ship arrived around 1 PM and we had a lovely HAL excursion to Buchard Gardens.